Best bang-for-buck at around $100? [ATV1 vs. Rasbmc vs. ??]
I have plenty of old desktops lying around-- I'm not interested in setting them up in my living room. Plus, I'd rather try experimenting with something new. I will probably start with the ATV1 and later build a Rpi just for the fun/experience of it.

I guess I was just wondering if I was going to be kicking myself (whyyyyyyy?!?!?) If I try to set up an ATV1, but it sounds like people are still getting use out of it.
Do it (ATV1) just be sure to install a Broadcom graphicscard http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Bro...Crystal_HD

Hardware is meant to be tinkered with Smile

(2013-09-27, 23:47)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-09-27, 23:28)Christer K Wrote: If you mean going to GitHub , no. Betatesting-Nightlys is not for me,

Latest official version is from august. (Honest?)

Honest? Yes, thank you.

If you were to try a development build with the performance patches that have been knocking around the last 3-4 weeks you might start to have a different opinion - the UX performance has improved considerably.

Will check it out but still..x86 is way superior Smile
(2013-09-28, 00:06)Christer K Wrote: Will check it out but still..x86 is way superior Smile
You're comparing apples with oranges.
They have different strengths.
I have a pc sat next to the tv that's hardly ever used for xbmc any more - the pi's always on, uses next-to-no power, is tiny, plays anything I throw at it (which in my case doesn't include anything past 720p) is 'quick enough' in the menus (and that's obviously subjective but yes, it's a lot quicker if you're running recent builds), works with my tv temote and costs very little to buy. Connect an external hard drive and it will serve files to other devices while you're watching a film - and still use sod-all power.
Do I like xbmc on a pc? Yes I do - it's ultimately a better experience than the pi, particularly if you're running heavier skins. But it's not that different - if it was I'd be turning the pc on much more often.
When I read people complaining about poor performance on the pi my first thought is that it's down to the user tbh.
OFC it´s about the user....
But I like my Netflix and heavy skins. I also enjoy my bluray mkv.s
Power consumtion is not an issue either so what´s your point?

Pi users are the new Apple-fanboys Big Grin

Santé!!
(2013-09-28, 01:22)Christer K Wrote: OFC it´s about the user....
But I like my Netflix and heavy skins. I also enjoy my bluray mkv.s
Power consumtion is not an issue either so what´s your point?

Pi users are the new Apple-fanboys Big Grin

Santé!!

If this was your 'Suggest a HTPC for me, power's not an issue and btw I like heavy skins, Netflix, bluray mkv's and HD Audio' thread then you'd have a very good point.
As it is I'll leave you to it - can't be bothered with a pissing contest, thanks all the same.
Chris K has opinions... and that's ok. That's what this thread is about, I don't really see a pissing contest developing. I'd like to keep this thread alive with viewpoints from all people who have experience with these technologies. I appreciate the input from everybody, keep it coming Rpi (and ATV1BCHD) users...
The next level up $150-$200 gets you either a Celeron 847 or D2550/Nvidia GT610

E.g.:

Foxconn nT-i2847 $159.99
Intel NUC BOXDCCP847DYE Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Celeron 847 1.1GHz $164.99
Giada i35GB-BR001 $199.99 w/ free 32GB SSD

Not really apples vs. oranges ... more like apples vs. apple pie a la mode Big Grin
I think the main advantage for a pi is that it has a power-consumption which beats every x86-machine even an intel nuc.
There is NOTHING compareable out there which has the playback versatility combined with the state-of-the-art power consumption.
People dont care if the pi is running 24/7. Do that with a x86-machine :-)

A nice extra is that it is totally fanless at a very nice price point.

You could also do some crazy stuff, like building a nice ambilight system while also using it simultanesly as a xbmc playback machine.

On the other hand, I've to agree that with a very large library like with over 1000 entries (unless you are using a modified version like rbej's) openelec 2.3.0 stable seems to be a little bit laggy.
If you are a first time user, you wouldn't even call it a problem, but

however , if you are already familiar with the xbmc interface and especially the library scrolling speed and the speed of the thumbs being loaded then you should wait for those nice speed-up patches which are announced by those several talented coders. Even if installed on USB, imho there is room for some speed-up enhancements.

Overall, I think that the pi has the power to be THE system which will lead xbmc to a popularity which will be more than any other system could do, even for traveling purposes (because of size) or for an invisible htpc in the back of a tv etc because of the native cec support (via tv-remote).

Hard to beat that. I am sure that in a few months people will consider the pi over other systems.
There will be a little xbmc evolution especially because the system is always the same (no difficult configuration between several machines) and the numbers of users will grow significantly so that more people could help and participate in coding and hardware/software development, or even nice tutorials regarding the raspberry pi.

Imho, the pi is the machine xbmc was waiting for.

I know big words, but this tiny machine deserves it..
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
Why has no one mentioned the Cubox i2 Ultra ? http://www.cubox-i.com/table/

This is surely the best bang for buck at $100 if we're looking at boxes like Apple TV.
Granted .. its early days for the cubox, but there seems to be a lot of uptake from the developers.
I'd quite like to know if the "Pi is too laggy" complaints apply to a Pi running well.
I've made a video of my home setup, which I think, whilst obviously slower than a PC is pretty damn usable
(and in fact is the only thing I watch videos on now).

Possibly some will still say, "that delay was 100ms of my life I'm not getting back", but I'm interested to know if that video is considered unusably laggy.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174485
How about a Ouya then you get a games machine too, Thats what i use with my server and SQL TV libary
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

(2013-09-28, 16:50)popcornmix Wrote: I'd quite like to know if the "Pi is too laggy" complaints apply to a Pi running well.
I've made a video of my home setup, which I think, whilst obviously slower than a PC is pretty damn usable

Possibly some will still say, "that delay was 100ms of my life I'm not getting back", but I'm interested to know if that video is considered unusably laggy.

WOW, thats a pretty impressive improvement. What skin is that?
(2013-09-28, 18:45)aesalazar Wrote: WOW, thats a pretty impressive improvement. What skin is that?
Amber, which is highly recommended.
Says Amber in description.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-09-28, 16:50)popcornmix Wrote: I'd quite like to know if the "Pi is too laggy" complaints apply to a Pi running well.

killer video, very impressive performance. Much better than I expected.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best bang-for-buck at around $100? [ATV1 vs. Rasbmc vs. ??]0