• 3(current)
OS X Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick
(2013-10-27, 14:44)Kokonutcreme Wrote: I was eventually able to restore my network connections between Windows and OS X but discovered after adding a couple of new movies to my collection that they weren't being scraped, I could browse to the directories via Windows Explorer and see the files so it wasn't because of the network connection.

I had a similar problem and it's probably the same thing. Samba3 expects PROPER file permissions. I think Apple's SMB always fudged it or something. Check the directory and files that aren't reading for "Everyone" READ permissions. All the movies and photos that would not display in XBMC properly all somehow got their file permissions set wrong. I selected the entire directory folder and set it to recursive file permission change and set all groups/everyone to READ permissions. I can now view everything just fine. I ran into this problem when I switched my PPC PowerMac server running Leopard over to a new 2012 Mac Mini running Mountain Lion. To be safe, I actually set my entire 3TB media drive to recursive set all media files to have the Everyone setting set to READ. No more issues (other than Mavericks wanting to switch back to Apple's SMB when I reboot; I have to turn it back off in preferences and start the SMBUp server again).
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Smb installed, now sharing with raspberry pi in the bedroom again, thanks for the shout
(2013-10-28, 23:31)BrEEdAA Wrote: Smb installed, now sharing with raspberry pi in the bedroom again, thanks for the shout

Are you saying that smb works good for you, without any problems, or are you talking about SMBUp?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-10-29, 00:49)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-10-28, 23:31)BrEEdAA Wrote: Smb installed, now sharing with raspberry pi in the bedroom again, thanks for the shout

Are you saying that smb works good for you, without any problems, or are you talking about SMBUp?

Smb is broken.

However, if some of you happen to be running mac mini as a htpc and access files on a mac - you don't need smb. It is sufficient to mount network share in finder and use that mounted drive as a source in xbmc.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-10-29, 01:26)pecinko Wrote:

Smb is broken.

However, if some of you happen to be running mac mini as a htpc and access files on a mac - you don't need smb. It is sufficient to mount network share in finder and use that mounted drive as a source in xbmc.

Are you mounting the share via AFP or SMB? Or does it matter?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-10-29, 16:42)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-10-29, 01:26)pecinko Wrote:
(2013-10-29, 00:49)wgstarks Wrote: Are you saying that smb works good for you, without any problems, or are you talking about SMBUp?

Smb is broken.

Are you mounting the share via AFP or SMB? Or does it matter?

Does not matter at all. Just add it to your login items in mac profile preferences (to auto mount it after restart) and it will be visible in XBMC under Volumes.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Sorry that should have said smbup has got my shares back up and the pi connecting
I'm now sure if this is related, but I use a Macbook as my PC, and after digging last night, I read several forum posts about the SMB access in 10.9, specifically the issues with SMB2 on it. Using SMB:// will use the SMB2 protocol on 10.9. The workaround that many user have been going to is to use cifs:// instead. This will cause 10.9 to used the SMB(1) instead, and should resolve some issues. I've had to help several clients with this in a Windows office environment since 10.9. From what I can tell, SMB2 still has issues, and should be avoided if possible. I've worked around this at home using afp:// for my NAS.

Again, not sure that helps, but could be part of the SMB issues some are seeing.
Here's a rather good article regarding smb2 and Mavericks that contains several work arounds.
http://www.zdnet.com/mavericks-smb2-prob...000022519/
SMBUp worked here as well on Mavericks, though it does require server restart and File Sharing deactivation after OS X 10.9 reboot.

Unlike NFS, AFP, and SMB2, it seems more responsive and less glitchy, at least for me streaming from MBP to Crystalbuntu on ATV1.
Scratch that. Add SMBUp to login items and no need to restart server or adjust File Sharing.
(2013-10-27, 14:44)Kokonutcreme Wrote: […]
After investigating possible causes I noticed a peculiar behaviour in XBMC where I could browse to the drive where I added the movies but there were 0 items in the specific directory. Initially I thought maybe it didn't like spaces between the names of the folders containing the movie files and after an hour of troubleshooting I realised that XBMC connecting to SMB shares hosted on Mavericks couldn't see any more than around 50 titles in a single folder.
[…]

I have exactly the same problem. Sharing files from Mac running Mavericks 10.9 over SMB to Windows 8.1 works fine, both in terms of browsing in explorer and playback in native media app, but XBMC cannot see any items inside the shared directory…

Any solution beside installing SMBUp?
(2013-11-13, 22:42)stiwi Wrote:
(2013-10-27, 14:44)Kokonutcreme Wrote: […]
After investigating possible causes I noticed a peculiar behaviour in XBMC where I could browse to the drive where I added the movies but there were 0 items in the specific directory. Initially I thought maybe it didn't like spaces between the names of the folders containing the movie files and after an hour of troubleshooting I realised that XBMC connecting to SMB shares hosted on Mavericks couldn't see any more than around 50 titles in a single folder.
[…]

I have exactly the same problem. Sharing files from Mac running Mavericks 10.9 over SMB to Windows 8.1 works fine, both in terms of browsing in explorer and playback in native media app, but XBMC cannot see any items inside the shared directory…

Any solution beside installing SMBUp?

If you look at post 39 there is a link to an article that shows unix command you can use to force the Mac to use SMB1 rather than the new SMB2 protocols Apple has implemented.
(2013-11-13, 23:23)wgstarks Wrote: If you look at post 39 there is a link to an article that shows unix command you can use to force the Mac to use SMB1 rather than the new SMB2 protocols Apple has implemented.

I have tried this and it doesn't work. I have HTPC running Win 8.1 with XBMC Frodo 12.2 which connects to OS X shares. I have Macbook Pro running 10.9 and Mac Pro 10.8.5. On 10.9 XBMC cannot see folders if there are more than 50. There is no such issue when XBMC connects to Mac Pro running 10.8.5…

Any ideas?
The only other option I know would be SMBUp. It has been reported to solve problems with SMB connections. You could also try using NFS as an alternative. I haven't seen any reports of issues with that.

Edited to correct typo.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick0