• 3(current)
XBMC v12.2 crashing on OS X 10.9 Mavericks
You are right - we devs ensure that xbmc runs well on the Macs / hackintoshs we use. And it does...

Memphiz, who uses 10.6.8 and Hopes those Smart Users who know it better stfu soon...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I just want to clarify something about this bug. It is crash on start or xbmc only or it's a crash on start of playing the first video? I've been running daily's etc for a while now (currently 13.0 - Alpha 8) and I still get crashes on my 2012 Mac Mini. It is definately way more prevalent when I use software encoding (which is needed for some types of video in this build) but usually just freezes video randomly when first playing a video or entering full screen mode. Sounds like graphics drivers to me.

Same thing that's meant to be fixed or different?

Thanks.
looky, looky, there are Frodo 12.3 pre-builds at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/
(2013-10-28, 04:46)davilla Wrote: looky, looky, there are Frodo 12.3 pre-builds at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/

Works for me - no startup fail, playback OK. Thanks.

Should I test SMB and mouse as well or is that out of scope of this build?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Lots of different issues going on with Mavericks and Alpha 8, not sure which are caused by Mavericks and which by alpha build.

- Video tearing, never seen this on OSX
- Does not resume from suspend, screen stays black and kernel darkwake flags do not help. Seems like a completely different issue than in (Mountain) Lion. If I press the power button on the mini the OSX shutdown dialog becomes visible
- True fullscreen results in black picture
- OS taking over remove (Candelair seems to still fix this)
- Video seeking very sluggish, takes couple of seconds after seeking before the playback continues

This just as a warning to others. I can always go back to Snow Leopard and have no problems in doing so.
(2013-10-28, 09:23)SpaceMonkey Wrote: Lots of different issues going on with Mavericks and Alpha 8, not sure which are caused by Mavericks and which by alpha build.

- Video tearing, never seen this on OSX
- Does not resume from suspend, screen stays black and kernel darkwake flags do not help. Seems like a completely different issue than in (Mountain) Lion. If I press the power button on the mini the OSX shutdown dialog becomes visible
- True fullscreen results in black picture
- OS taking over remove (Candelair seems to still fix this)
- Video seeking very sluggish, takes couple of seconds after seeking before the playback continues

This just as a warning to others. I can always go back to Snow Leopard and have no problems in doing so.

And what happens with 12.3 build?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hard to say, will test later today.
(2013-10-28, 09:23)SpaceMonkey Wrote: - True fullscreen results in black picture

known issue - unrelated to mavericks - also there on older osx versions (iirc 10.7 and 10.8 - works on 10.6). (SDL issue)

(2013-10-28, 09:23)SpaceMonkey Wrote: - Video seeking very sluggish, takes couple of seconds after seeking before the playback continues

Known issue - based on other threads here in the forum this is unrelated to osx but a general issue

Also for the mouse problem on mavericks. This won't be fixed that soon. It will be broken on on 12.3 and it will be broken in nightlies / alphas until we manage to remove SDL and replace it by native windowing (i have verified that the mouse issue is not there in our removeSDL development branch - but its still alot to work out there - no ETA on when this will be done).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Quote:known issue - unrelated to mavericks - also there on older osx versions (iirc 10.7 and 10.8 - works on 10.6). (SDL issue)

So what's the benefit of true fullscreen exactly? (I'm still weighing the pros & cons of downgrading from ML to SL).

EDIT:

Nvm...found my answer in the wiki:

"Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen
...when active (Windows only). Does not use the DirectX fullscreen mode. The main benefit is for multi-screen configurations, where XBMC can be used at the same time as other applications without automatically minimizing. Uses a bit more resources and playback may be slightly less smooth."
Nvidia Shield
Apple TV 4
12.3 does start well, but still has mouse bug for me (doesnt matter so much as I'm using a remote), but i do have one big issue: i'm using two monitores and normally i use it on my external monitor in fullscreen. for some reason it shows the menubar (instead of hiding it). but i guess this will be fixed with one of the next releases... so: *thumbs up*
Yes! 12.3 build runs fine on my OSX Mavericks. (well, it doesn't crash!)
(2013-10-29, 00:23)stevellion Wrote: Yes! 12.3 build runs fine on my OSX Mavericks. (well, it doesn't crash!)

I confirm "xbmc-20131027-9d75530-Frodo-x86_64.dmg" loads and plays fine under mavericks.

A part from the known mouse issue, 2 things remain.

1. XBMC starts up in 16bit color instead of 32 when the default auto-switch GPU setting is enabled, which switches from the Intel to the nVidia GPU.
If this is disabled, it launches with the correct 32bit color. This is something new to 10.9, since 10.8 didn't have this issue.

2. The test builds aren't signed, so the firewall requests authorization every time the application is launched.
I suppose this is intentional, since these are test builds and not the final release.

codesign -dvvv /Applications/XBMC.app
/Applications/XBMC.app: code object is not signed at all
We don't sign builds as we have no official signing identity for the XBMC Foundation.
Hi, sorry ´bout my english, i had the mouse problem until change settings/sytem/video output/ display mode from full screen to windowed wait to the display to change and then change back to full screen and the mouse starts working fine.
(2013-10-29, 02:31)Cpuroast Wrote:
(2013-10-29, 00:23)stevellion Wrote: Yes! 12.3 build runs fine on my OSX Mavericks. (well, it doesn't crash!)

I confirm "xbmc-20131027-9d75530-Frodo-x86_64.dmg" loads and plays fine under mavericks.

A part from the known mouse issue, 2 things remain.

1. XBMC starts up in 16bit color instead of 32 when the default auto-switch GPU setting is enabled, which switches from the Intel to the nVidia GPU.
If this is disabled, it launches with the correct 32bit color. This is something new to 10.9, since 10.8 didn't have this issue.

2. The test builds aren't signed, so the firewall requests authorization every time the application is launched.
I suppose this is intentional, since these are test builds and not the final release.

codesign -dvvv /Applications/XBMC.app
/Applications/XBMC.app: code object is not signed at all

Thanks for pointing out what is going on here, Cpuroast! I've been pulling my hair trying to figure out why my 1080P video had tearing/red lines/glitches in it since mavericks and it must be the 16bit that XBMC is loading with as you say. I tried changing resolution and then changing back and my 1080P was normal again! I can't seem to find this auto switching option you speak of. I have the 2012 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display. My energy saver options don't show the graphics switching that I see in other google search results. I'd really welcome a way to load XBMC in 32bit by default and not have to switch resolutions and back every time for normal playback. Any suggestions would be welcome. Smile
Much thanks!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC v12.2 crashing on OS X 10.9 Mavericks1