OS X No more 'audio passthrough' options?
Bleh.

I think it must be a handshake issue between my receiver (Yamaha RX-V573) to Sony LCD.

I also had some problems with my screen going blank when switching from 60 to 24 refresh. So I have bypassed the receiver for video and go HDMI direct to TV, optical out to receiver. All is good now, but with no HD audio, even though OSX doesn't really support it anyway.

Good ol' hardware issues making things difficult.
Nvidia Shield
Apple TV 4
I had constant problems with MacOS sound was the biggest annoyance
All problems solved
I have MacOS replaced by openelec
Xbmc launch super fast, no sound and picture problems any more.

Macmini 2012, Synology 213+, Samsung HT-D6750w, Samsung led TV, Harmony touch, XBMC Openelec met skin Arctic.

Still one wish the hard drive replaced with a ssd.
(2013-11-11, 10:23)sling Wrote: I had constant problems with MacOS sound was the biggest annoyance
All problems solved
I have MacOS replaced by openelec
Xbmc launch super fast, no sound and picture problems any more.

Macmini 2012, Synology 213+, Samsung HT-D6750w, Samsung led TV, Harmony touch, XBMC Openelec met skin Arctic.

Still one wish the hard drive replaced with a ssd.

Can you share some more how you are running Openelec on a Macmini please. Will the Apple Remote work? What about Airplay?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I'm curious about openelec as well...

Was it difficult to get drivers to work? Bluetooth, ethernet, hardware acceleration, etc?

Do you multi-boot with refit?
Nvidia Shield
Apple TV 4
Airplay works fine
Both from an iPhone 5 as an iPad 3
I don't use Apple remote no idea
Harmony works fine but also control with apps from iPhone and iPad works. Best app is xbmc remote.
What I did not succeed is openelec in dual boot with MacOS. But I don't miss MacOS. Xbmc works much better.
I have installed the generic version OpenELEC Stable-Generic i386 3.2.3
What I don't get working well is an Apple Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
But I use the harmony and the app xbmc remote for that.
When installing you must have a USB keyboard.
Good luck
Sounds like a pain ;-)

My mini with Snow Leopard seems to be the best option for me.
Nvidia Shield
Apple TV 4
If you don't need MacOS then openelec is the best solution.
Today tested the silver Apple Remote control that works fine.
I am still curious of the openelec solution and glad to read that this may actually work. Even with remote.

I don't want to ditch MacOS. Would it be an option to run openelec from USB? I could then just pull out the USB and have MacOS back after reboot?

Would this work? Anything I would need to know about openelec or does it work out of the box with the Mini?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
@Steve1977: Also that works. To test the hardware support I first installed OpenElec on a USB stick.
How to: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ab=Mac_OSX

Everything works fine however slow.
May be a thunderbolt disk is an option, I don't Know.
After this test I replace MacOS for OpenElec Without a moment of regret.
Thanks, this sounds great. What openelec built are you suggesting to use? The generic OSS one?
So is everything working out-of-box in Openelec and mini nowadays? It seems atvclient is now provided by default so remotes, including Harmony, should work right away.

One thing i remember from Openelec is that it doesn't support hidden wireless SSIDs which is a big no for me personally.
I have installed the generic version OpenELEC Stable-Generic i386 3.2.3.
Worked with me out of the box
The only thing that takes a lot of time is the setting up of the skin in my case Artic.
Btw great skin.
Most important is no picture or sound problems any more. The hardware of a Mac mini is perfect only MacOS is the bottleneck.
I am really glad to hear that there are no sound problems. I will give it a try with an USB live install over the weekend. I hope things are not too slow and really excited to hear that audio will finally work properly.

What's the issue with the skin? I thought you can just normally install add-ons and all is done? Are there any limitations to openelec compared to a "normal" XBMC? Also, I like the auto-update function of openelec.Will it eventually update to an Gothan equivalent or beyond? How would this work?
One related question. When installing openelec, will this be a Frodo or a Gotham built. If a Frodo built, will it eventually update to Gotham at one point of time automatically or do I need to recreate USB again for every new XBMC release?
@steve1977
I meant to say that the actual work as always is setting up the skin.
Exactly how it will go with the upgrade to Gothem I don't know. Ask the question on the forum of openelec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No more 'audio passthrough' options?0