• 11(current)
HTPC RF Keyboards
(2013-03-04, 09:24)Magistrate Wrote: Phenomenal thread, great work!

Found this little gem just now, deciding between it and the 810-18R

http://www.chipchick.com/2012/09/visopix...TRMvjce0eI

Looks great, now if they could just make one of these that does the "all-in-one" stuff so i can control my tv and stereo with it then they would surely sell billions! Smile
(2013-03-04, 13:34)thebearnecessit Wrote: Looks great, now if they could just make one of these that does the "all-in-one" stuff so i can control my tv and stereo with it then they would surely sell billions! Smile

would something like this work as an all-in-one solution:?
http://www.amazon.com/iPazzPort-2-4GHz-W...006OW1J1M/

its supposed to do RF and can learn IR commands. I'm looking for a HTPC remote that can also hand the volume (AV receiver) and TV commands
coincidentally i actually bought one of those a couple months ago. i have the ipazzport kp-810-16. was tempted by the one that can act as a microphone for your computer but didnt get that one in the end.

long post so i made a summary at the bottom for those that dont want all the detail.

I really like it and would recommend it...but

couple small issues though:

1. loud buttons on one side - the buttons on the side with less buttons are too loud. just a bugs me. the keyboard side is fine the buttons seem to be more "cushioned".
2. not enough butons on the remote side/IR side/media centre side - in terms of using it to control a media centre AND control tv, stereo etc i have personally found there is just not enough buttons. you only get 7 or 8 buttons on the IR side AKA the 'side with less buttons'. this sound slike an ok amount but 5 of them are instantly taken up by up down left right and select.
3. no play ff or rw etc - in terms of media centre i would much prefer to have a proper 4 direction keys and a play/pause, FF etc.
4. using keyboard can end up with the pressed letter appearing on0screen 4 or 5 times in a row - when i press the button to freeze the mouse pointer (usually when i want to type using the keyboard), the keyboard sens a lot of repeated keypresses. if you leave the mouse to flitter all over the screen as you type then the keyboard behaves perfectly the vast majority of the time

having just typed that out, i've realised i'm probably being harsh.

but i think i need at least 12 buttons to happily control xbmc:

1up 2down 3left 4right 5select
6stereo volume up, 7stereo volume down
8backpace, 9context menu
10ff
11rw
12play/pause

and this thing only has seven or eight (cant remember) programmable buttons on the IR side .

i think its a good piece of kit and would recommend it but you'd have to think through what each button on the IR side would do for you. i think you can have those 7 buttons have 2 roles each and switch between the two settings. its just not quit right for me personally in a number of ways. but even then, remember the buttons will phisically not have the correct symbols on then so anyoe picking it up wont have a clue whow to do stuff (wives kids friends etc)

by the way when i said i wanted a similar remote with keyboard and mouse control thats an also act as an all-in-one i meant all-in-one with macros to that i can press an "acivity" button (for example "media centre" or "watch tv" to get my tv stereo and xbmc box turned on and on the right inputs etc.

i want a logitech harmony (ie it controls the stereo and the tv and uses "macros" to put them all to the right settings when your press "media centre"), but with a keyboard (for typing searches) and a mouse control (for accessing microsoft windows in the background, or android). not asking much Big Grin

summary - the ipazzport kp-810-16 is a great remoe that gives your keyboard and mouse control as well as traditional Infrared remote all in one device. buts its not perfect.

this is what i want:

one remote with the following features is what i want: air mouse, keyboard, all-in-one-ir (aka macros), and media centre button (like play and ff and rr). it MUST be out there somewhere!
I'm buying one of these:
RII RT-MWK13
i was thinking of buying that. please subscribe to this thread and come back and tell us what you think of it.

it looks like it could be awesome.
Looking for something thin in full form factor. I current have a k700 on one of my htpc's but distance has been an issue, at about 10ft or if anything get in the way it will not respond. It seems to store the keystrokes though, because I can move closer and everything I typed will then appear. Am I missing something there? I need a new one for a new build and am looking for suggestions. Thank you.
Just wondering, but are people typing a lot on their XBMC since everyone needs a keyboard? Just figured if it were being used as a living room pc then it seems a bit small to operate :/

hey all,

i just got a K400r and have to say im not impressed Sad

it works but not if it is in a flat orientation!!!! like say on a table or on your lap

the antenna seems to be near/under the track pad and covering that corner of the device with your hand is enough to block the signal!!!

this thing is brand new, has new batteries and has line of sight to the receiver 3m away

im a bit pissed off about it to be honest
(2013-08-18, 19:39)thebearnecessit Wrote: i was thinking of buying that. please subscribe to this thread and come back and tell us what you think of it.

it looks like it could be awesome.

I just bought this remote (rii mini i13) and I love it. It is tiny, really light, comfortable to hold and looks very fancy (does not look like a cheap Chinese knockoff). The main reason I use the keyboard is to send ctrl-alt-del if something crashes, and occasional text entry, etc. The air mouse works really well, but it is a little too sensitive out of the box.

The remote portion is a full learning remote with plenty of buttons and an 8 component setup (which means 8 sets of button configurations for an htpc)

Mine has a bug, though. Normally, in order to send the del command, you have to press and hold fn, then press backspace. However when you do that, it always sends a backspace first, and subsequent presses are the del command. So in order to send a ctrl-alt-del, you have to press and hold ctrl, alt and fn; and then press the backspace button twice in a row whole holding the others.

With that said, I am still testing this device. I use a harmony on my main htpc and this device is the keyboard backup (beats busting out a full keyboard every time something crashes, and I can hide this very easily because it is tiny).

In the near future I'll consider getting another to use as the main control device for my secondary htpc.

I have not tested the microphone and speaker yet.

Overall, this device is very well done. It has a ton of features. The only thing missing is back lighting
K400r Update!!

with a 30cm long USB extension lead i was able to change the orientation of the Logitech receiver dongle thingy and lo and behold it is good!!!

now having used it for a bit i can say that the slightly smaller key layout can make for some typos and i wish that the right shift key was larger!!

otherwise it is now good for what I wanted
I've also purchased the Rii RT-MWK13 and it's really good. It's well built and works perfectly.

I've replaced 6 remote controls with just this one, now I control: TV, HT, cable tv, room fan, room lights and HTPC.
It learns very easily, and during learning process, my suggestion is to put the other remote control very close to it, touching infrared's.

Pros:
Infrared: well built, control up to 8 different IR devices, has almost all necessary buttons. learns quickly. controls from a long distance

RF Keyboard: well built, mouse works fine,

general: I've disassembled and confirmed the pcb is well made, the buttons are not that type of plastic with carbon contact, all button are like a tact switch, so it should not wear out so fast after some time.

Cons:
Infrared: None

RF Keyboard:
-the antenna is pcb made on the left of the keyboard, so depending the way you hold it, it reduces the signal strength, and starting from 4m more or less, it can stop communicating, so it's needed to hold in a different way on the left side of the remote control.
-It doesn't have the F1 to F11 buttons.
-The keyboard is not on the standard format, so for example to increase the volume on XBMC it's needed to press Fn and +, instead of just using the key "+=", not a big problem for me as I can control the volume of the home theater via infrared.
-It's tricky to calibrate the mouse, don't lose the manual, otherwise you'll never remember how to do it.
- Doesn't have back light. (This one I really miss)

General feedback: It worth buying and I do recommend purchasing this awesome product. As you can see on below picture, I used to have all those remote controls on the left on my sofa, now I just have the remote on the right. Big Grin

I really admire your patience...
Programming 6 Remotes with IR Learning Function....

Since i lack your patience i purchased a logitech remote Smile
(and a logitech k400 that is hidden from view)
Anyone have a RII K25?

Specifications
- Receiver (dongle): Nano style
- Connect port: With USB2.0 above
- RF mode: 2.4Ghz GFSK
- Transmission distance: Up to 10 meters
- Transmission Power: Less than +4db
- Power supply: Rechargeable 450mAh polymer Lithium-ion battery
- Charging voltage: 4.4V ~ 5.25V
- Charging current: 300mA
- Sleeping Current class1: 86uA
- Operation Voltage: 3.7V
- Operating Current: 22mA
- Product Size: 170mm*49mm*16mm
DON'T BUY A RII

The buttons on the front of the remote are IR-only. I suppose it's fine if you have an IR-blaster or CEC lying around, but if you're expecting those buttons to do anything in XBMC you'll be very disappointed.
I gotta Flirc. So if the front buttons being IR-only is the worst thing about this remote, I think it deserves a spot on here as well as in my living room. =D
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC RF Keyboards2