Zotac ZBOX-ID18-U Barebones Mini PC
Hi,
I am new at building up on a barebone machine, ZBOX-ID18-U, if I understood properly all what is needed is an msata or sata drive not sure, and laptop memory and I am good to go?
If so, I would appreciate any suggestion with the drive/memory to buy. Might run windows 8 on it, if it will struggle then definitely openelec.
Thanks
Actually you can forego the hard drvie if you want. You can boot directly from a usb drive (using openelec for instance) if you want. I guess you could also boot from the memory card slot.

If you boot from usb drive, you can acces your media files by network or external hard drive if you have one.
I have three Zotac machines and all three run Openelec . My recommendation would be to run openelec on an internal sata drive, as thumb drives can be a little slower/sluggish.

For memory, any DDR3-1600 204 pin memory would do. Like this one from newegg...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231469

As for the hard drive, get the cheapest 2.5" SATA you can find. Here is one from Amazon for $20.00
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-60GB-Lapto...hard+drive

Again, unless you have some specific requirements for running Windows (Like Netflix), I would go with Openelec. It is a great experience on these Zotac machines.

Wile E.
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
I'm also looking at ZBOX-ID18-U. I have a lot of Asian video in RMVB format (some are 720p). I'm wondering if ZBOX-ID18-U + OpenElec can handle that?! Does it have enough power to process them? If not, any alternatives?

Many thanks!
I have that box. It can even decode 4K, does 1080i50 and all bitstream formats. Including that sample: http://jell.yfish.us/media/Jellyfish-70-Mbps.mkv

We are currently experimenting with code, to get the surface back to system ram for deinterlacing. This also works quite nice on that machine. Concerning the fan: I have set the fan to 30% it's not hearable at all, though I think - I should put it on 40% :-)

Current Temperatures (have watched 60 minutes of live tv);
Quote:fritsch@vaapi:~$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +106.0°C)
temp2: +29.8°C (crit = +106.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0: +80.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +79.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +80.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

pkg-temp-0-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +80.0°C

I don't know about those RMVB files. If you get me a sample, I can test for you. I am really amazed by that box. 100 euros for pretty everything, including hi10p playback.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am using an Zotac Zbox ID82 with OCZ Vertex 3 120GB an 8GB memory, which is a verry nice combination. My zbox is wired connected on my netwerk, and gets its movies from my main pc which runs mostly 24/7. Using an SSD in combination with XBMC/Windows is verry nice.
Tongue 
(2013-12-21, 16:53)Oxize Wrote: I am using an Zotac Zbox ID82 with OCZ Vertex 3 120GB an 8GB memory, which is a verry nice combination. My zbox is wired connected on my netwerk, and gets its movies from my main pc which runs mostly 24/7. Using an SSD in combination with XBMC/Windows is verry nice.

I just bought one today Big Grin

I'm planning to try OpenELEC using a USB drive first, and then decide if I'll use USB vs SSD vs HD drive and Windows vs OpenELEC. Of course, I need to get some RAM (2GB for now?) first.

For OpenELEC, which build I shoud use? A link will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Start with the nightlies right away. Gotham Beta1 is not far away and working already quite fine, follow that thread: http://openelec.tv/forum/20-development-...tly-builds
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-12-22, 08:56)fritsch Wrote: Start with the nightlies right away. Gotham Beta1 is not far away and working already quite fine, follow that thread: http://openelec.tv/forum/20-development-...tly-builds

Thanks! BTW, is it 32bit or 64bit version of OpenELEC? Sorry for my newbie question, this is my first time to use OpenELEC...

Too bad we have power outage right now... I'll definitely try it out after we have power back!
Use the 64 bit version generic nightly.

Have fun.
(2013-12-23, 21:35)fritsch Wrote: Use the 64 bit version generic nightly.

Have fun.

Thanks!
Finally I got a chance to play around. Added a 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram and I'm using a 4GB USB thumb drive with OpenELEC 3.2.3 which I set up previously for a netbook and everything is working & FAST! I'm really impressed.

I'll try a fresh install of latest nightly later!
I recently got the Zotac zbox id-18. I put a kingston 60GB SSD and 4GB 1600MHz RAM in it and installed openelec.
Everything works very smoothly with the Aeon Nox skin and it plays everything I throw at it.

So, I'm very happy with the box and its pricetag. I've payed just under 200€ for the whole.

Keep in mind that it doesn't come with a remote or a built in infrared receiver and no wifi.
Guys - am looking to get this unit.

Can it:

- Handle HD 1080p mkv Video files, including Bluray playback or Lossless Video (Remux), VC-1,

- Handle HD audio (DTS-HDMA and True-HD) passthrough - either through HDMI and/or Optical cable

Thanks,

litfoo
Intel NUC DC3217IYE, 8GB Corsair RAM, Crucial 120GB mSATA, Windows 8.1 - XBMC Jarvis 16.1 - Aeon MQ 7, JVC HD-550 Projector, Beamax M Series 10015 Screen, Synology DS1812+, Qnap TS-410, Logitech Harmony Ultimate, Flirc+ USB dongle

There is not Bitstream Audio via SPDIF.

Yes concerning the other question.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX-ID18-U Barebones Mini PC1