• 6(current)
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.9
SMBUp gets SMB working here in Mavericks, but it still has some annoying issues like giving up before my external 3TB media drive can spool up from sleep and telling me that the video is no longer available and would I like to delete it? (I was always afraid of accidentally deleting shows or someone else visiting doing so since it does it EVERY TIME the media drive is sleeping and it has to spool up; it just doesn't give it enough time before giving up).

NFS, on the other hand, seems to know that the drive isn't ready yet and waits for it to come up and doesn't give that error. Plus I can now leave Apple's new SMB2 on there for use with other Macs and Windows machines. This new problem with Max Headroom style stuttering is newer than either as far as I can tell. It appeared to go away with the 10.9.1 update, though (either that or something else I erased from startup). In any case, it hasn't done it now in over a week.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I've got same issue on both my computers - 2011 iMac and 2012 Mac mini running 10.9.1. Local (on the external and internal hdd and ssd) and network (afp) files are affected. I tried XBMC 12.2, 12,3, 13.
I think there is a global problem with OS X 10.9.
Has anyone tried this with XBMC? http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-576...mavericks/
(2013-12-28, 11:13)Ned Scott Wrote: Has anyone tried this with XBMC? http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-576...mavericks/

I tried. It does'nt help.
(2013-12-28, 11:13)Ned Scott Wrote: Has anyone tried this with XBMC? http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-576...mavericks/

yep no luck. thought the update to 10.9.1 fixed it since i played some short 720p clips. but i just tried full length movies and the problem is still there. for testing purposes, again tried vlc, streams smoothly. same difference persists, i.e. xbmc seems to not stream a file live, instead buffering, playing, then emptying the buffer (instead of constantly maintaining x mb buffer), pausing, rebuffering, then playing.
Hey,

First off thanks for all the hard work on XBMC.

I have the same issue since upgrading to Mavericks. I get a video stutter every few minutes. I tried setting the connection to CIFS using the nsmb.conf fix but I still get a video stutter every few minutes while watching video in XBMC. Has anyone made any progress on this issue?

Thanks in advance!
You still have that problem in XBMC 12.3? It seems to work fine here on my 2012 Mac Mini with 10.9.1 installed. I don't get any stutters.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I have 2 Mac minis both running mavericks 10.9.1 with xbmc 12.3 and they both play freeze or stutter during playback every few minutes. The video and audio just hangs for a second and then continues. Also when jumping forward in the video it takes a second or two for the video/audio to start and sync.

Both Mac minis worked fine on osx 10.8. I am using SMB version 1 to connect to the servers.
Ah, so you're talking about using a Mac Mini as a front-end to a network server across SMB. My Mini *IS* the server here (AppleTV units are the front-ends, although I was referring to local playback on the Mini with XBMC 12.3 where I get no stutter).

Have you tried SMBUp (Samba3) instead of SMB1 on these machines? I couldn't even get my AppleTV units to connect to my Mac Mini (with 10.8.5 or 10.9) using SMB1. SMBUp did work, however and I don't recall stutter problems, but then the AppleTV units are running Eden on what is essentially 10.4 Tiger. I did find other things annoying about SMB in general, though like it giving up while my server's external USB3 media drive is spinning up from sleep whereas switching to NFS eliminated all those problems. I did have some weird stutter several weeks ago with NFS on the same system, but either a full reset or the upgrade to 10.9.1 cured it (not sure since they were at the same time given my Mini is normally up 24/7 for months at at a time).

I suppose I could try using my 2008 Macbook Pro as an XBMC client on the same network and see if it has any stutter issues since it also has Mavericks on it, but I eliminated all my SMB shares and ditched SMBUp (so the Mini could go back to using SMB2 with other Macs and Windows machines) after switching to NFS, but I could at least see if that plays OK on it without stuttering. I'll test it out and see what happens.

Edit: Hmmm, it seems SMB2 works normally in 12.3 here once again, at least from my Macbook Pro running XBMC 12.3 in Mavericks 10.9 as I haven't upgraded it to 10.9.1 yet (i.e. I didn't have to use anything to push it down to SMB1 or run SMBUp on the server) and it's talking to a 2012 Mac Mini running 10.9.1. Not every share showed up, though. It seems I need to remove and re-add the shares since removing SMBUp (now it works fine once again). The NFS shares show up fine with no changes. So far, no stutters with SMB or NFS. Have you tried SMB2 with 12.3? It seems to work fine here once again (although that would not help with my ATVs running Eden, but they run happily with NFS now). I should mention one last thing, though. The Macbook Pro is currently using Gigabit Ethernet and so is the Mac Mini so that might affect the performance as well compared to WiFi. I can test WiFi too next, though.

Edit2: Ok, I tested WiFi also. SMB2 and NFS both work fine with WiFi and Ethernet in XBMC 12.3 on my 2008 Macbook Pro running 10.9 accessing my 2012 Mac Mini server running 10.9.1. I see no signs of stuttering with SD or HD video (720P).

Oddly, I get a menu bar on my second monitor at first in full screen mode on XBMC, but it eventually disappeared (Eden's bar never disappeared in Mavericks so it's an improvement)

So, the gist is that:

1> XBMC 12.3 apparently fixes SMB2 support (or it's automatically switching down to SMB1 now; either way I didn't have to change anything).
2> I get no stuttering issues on the 2008 Macbook Pro with either SMB or NFS regardless if I use Gigabit Ethernet or 802.11N WiFi and both are using Mavericks.
I have enabled smb2 on the NAS. I will give it a try and post the results.
I have tried all the suggested things includingSMBUp and now constantly loosing bluetooth track pad and keyboard (previously tried the dumb down to SMB). Previously, I have noticed that the keyboard goes on stand by after a period of time, I had the caps lock on and would notice the green light going off around the time the video slow down starts.I have the feeling that there are issues when the pc works for a period and thinks it is on standby. The rolling text onXMBC slows and speeds up again and the mouse drags too. This typifies the problem when playing movies, 3 seconds slow, one second normal speed which eventually turns into a 10 second differential between the picture and the sound as the sound seems to continue as normal for about 20 minutes after the delay starts.There is something with the flash player on Mavericks too, it goes to sleep when not used to make more power available for other tasks. I wonder if it is a flash player problem? I am using a Mac Mini Server 2.53 GHz, core 2 duo with 8 Gb of RAM. 2 500Gb HD's with the video files stored on the second drive. Oceans of free space on both HD's. NVIDIA GeForce 9400. All the usuals are up to date, software is server3.01 Mavericks, disc permissions, mavericks cache cleaner run on a daily basis. I always love the new features on a new mac OS but they never, never look after the video playing side of the house, Aaagh!!!
What's a mavericks cache cleaner? I mean seriously, I don't do anything on a daily basis. My machine has been up for 12 days now (typically 3-5 months between reboots these days, but I reset to test something which I don't even remember what at this point). I think I've run a permission fix like 3 times on this machine over the past year and none of those times did it help whatever problem I was having (but always seems to be the first thing people suggest for some odd reason). You can set most programs to NOT "nap" in Mavericks, but I've never set Flash that way here. I mean do you watch a lot of Flash powered videos or something? I watch YouTube and other in-line videos that have Flash and haven't had any issues. They don't even use any CPU power at all, hardly since Flash now has hardware acceleration. XBMC doesn't even use Flash for that matter, does it? The YouTube plug-in perhaps?

In any case, perhaps it is the Bluetooth dropping out if you notice a correlation there. Maybe you could try a wired keyboard and mouse for a bit just to see if it makes any difference and turn Bluetooth OFF while you test it? I would look at things like that given I'm not having any stutter on either of my two Macs (now both running 10.9.1) plus SMB2 is working fine now with XBMC 12.3 (I never could get it to downgrade to SMB1 here using CIFS:// or the NSMB.conf file thing). NFS works fine with my Gen1 AppleTVs running XBMC Eden (it did have AFP problems and SMBUp had some delays with my media drive waking from sleep like I mentioned above, but otherwise worked fine). In short, I'm getting the feeling it's something INTERFERING with XBMC somehow, rather than a problem WITH XBMC itself.
(2014-01-10, 00:54)VonMagnum Wrote: You can set most programs to NOT "nap" in Mavericks

how?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
open applications folder, get info on the XBMC.app. (right click for me as ex windows user)

mark : prevent app nap
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
Shouldn't this workaround stop the issue which is discussed in this thread? (as the theory is that its app nap related).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.91