• 3(current)
[RELEASE] Chrome Launcher
I'm sorry - this is probably a stupid question. I have installed chrome launcher, now how do I launch it? I have the Aeon MQ4 skin installed.
hello-

i wanted to throw an idea out there as a suggestion to fix the issues that people are having with this plugin and XBMCbuntu, as i ran into this before with my the emulators that i have setup, as well as the compoholio ubuntu-netflix i had been running with.

to have focus grabbed and to go full-screen when yo have a second program running, you need to be running a window manager, as this is the part of the desktop environment that manages what programs are on the screen, and who gets control and focus and all that. i use open box, as this comes installed with the xbmcbuntu installation as it is what the xbmcbuntu desktop environment mode uses. all XBMCbuntu installs ship with it.
to return to XBMC gracefully, you then need to kill the window manager after the program (chrome) ends.

on my emulators i do this via this script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
$1
kill 1%

line-by line, what this does is:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
identify this is a bash script

Code:
openbox &
launch openbox. the '&' means execute in background, and move to the next line

Code:
$1
the $1 means execute the first command line parameter passed to it. since this is run foreground, the script waits for this to exit before executing the next line

Code:
kill 1%
the 'kill %1' tells it to kill the first child process launched by this script that is running in the background. (openbox)

so, if i call this 'launcher' by executing
Code:
launcher  "emulator --paramaters --romname --etc"

it runs "emulator --paramaters --romname --etc" inside a 'wrapper' of the script that opens the window manager, runs "emulator --paramaters --romname --etc", and (once 'emulator' closes) closes the window manager. Everything works perfectly and transparently.

would it be possible to implement a method to use this in chrome launcher?
perhaps instead of a 'execute script before' option, an 'execute script and pass command as a parameter' option? this would allow us to write a script that would run on both sides of chrome, both setting up and deconstructing any environment or helper programs needed, as well las making it much more customizable.

or, for a more idiot proof option that wouldn't require scripting knowledge, an option to chose a window manager to have chrome launcher open and close before and after chrome?

this execute window manager / execute app / kill window manager process is pretty much essential to launch any program from within XBMCbuntu and have your control and focus work properly. implement this procedure, and most of the issues you hear from XBMCbuntu users would evaporate.

there is a kludge i've come up with to get things working as is;

it's this script run from within chrome launcher:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
sleep 30
pids= pidof chromium-browser
wait $pids
kill %1
this runs open box
waits 30 seconds
gets the Program id's of all the chromium processes
tells the script to wait untill all the chromium processes have terminated
then kill open box.

it is a hack; there is a potential race condition. if chromium doesn't open within 30 seconds of the start of the script, it wil ljust kill open box and exit, leaving the system kinda borked. i haven't had this happen, but it's why i'd rather launch chromium from within the script.
(2013-12-24, 10:38)LickitySplit Wrote: I'm sorry - this is probably a stupid question. I have installed chrome launcher, now how do I launch it? I have the Aeon MQ4 skin installed.

Probably with the programs menu, activate it in the skin settings.
I'm trying to get this to work, but I keep getting the error "Could not connect to network server". I have no idea what this is.
I am trying to set a custom path for Chrome, but when I use the browse option to set the path, the AppData folder is not available. I need that as Chrome is located in /users/<username>/AppData/....etc in Windows. I have exited Xbmc and confirmed in explorer I do not have the option to hide folders on. Any help on how to set a path?

Perhaps adding a way for the user to manually type in the full path rather than having to browse for it?

For reference, me needing to set a custom path came about because I am trying to use Netflixbmc and when I do I get an error "cannot find chrome" and I was auto directed to the Chrome Launcher advanced settings to set a custom path. I don't think I have Chrome installed in a "custom" manner, I installed it in Win 7 with all default options. Is my issue perhaps something Win 7 related where I your launcher cannot access Chrome?
Current configuration:
-Apple TV 1
-Crystalbuntu
-XBMC 12.3 Frodo
-Pipelight / Silverlight 5.1 enabled
-Chrome Launcher with custom chrome path to opt/google/google-chrome-stable
-NetfliXBMC
-Google Chrome

Current Netflix status:
-NetfliXBMC loads
-Netflix profile user prompt
-Netflix menu and 'My List' populate
-Netflix content successfully loading with ability to view trailers via YouTube

The issue is now that once attempt to play a Netflix selection, a small, resized error window populates indicating that Chrome cannot be run from root. I have changed ownership of the folder to no avail. I believe getting Chrome to successfully open will be the last step in getting Netflix to stream in Crystalbuntu on an ATV1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xet6od7y245b6...xerror.jpg

Any ideas?

Update 1/2/2014
Changed directory ownership of opt and added permission to mode 4755. Error window no longer populates, but after selecting a movie, XBMC 'thinks' for awhile, but the movie does not play.
Here is my version of Amazon Prime using Chrome Launcher

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182172&page=3

Enjoy!
Enjoy my work? Check out my other projects.

XBMC Add-ons

Android Games
Dear AddonScripterDE,

many thanks for the bunch of beautiful add-ons you are coding. I have discovered them today and I can tell you I am going to use few of them a lot.
I came to this trying to have NetfliXBMC working. It looks that this requires Chrome Launcher. For some reason it won't find Chrome so I need to fix the path. But it's located on a non-accesible folder (Local folder is not listed).
I understand that I can insert the path manually, editing the settings value and adding the following path:
C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

This are the original values

<setting id="useCustomPath" type="bool" label="30010" default="false"/>
<setting id="customPath" type="file" label="30011" enable="eq(-1,true)" default=""/>

And I am guessing, that this should be the new values

<setting id="useCustomPath" type="bool" label="30010" default="true"/>
<setting id="customPath" type="file" label="30011" enable="eq(-1,true)" default="C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"/>

But unfortunately this is not working.

Any help? what I am doing wrongHuh
^^Same thing sort of I keep getting "Info Chrome Not Found" while trying to use Amazon plug in, can't edit anything cause my chrome is in AppData folder(Win764)

UPDATE: Found a installer that puts Chrome in Program Files so it's all good sort of but problems more have to due with Amazon plugin than launcher(no real easy way to switch back to xbmc from chrome window.)
Thank you so much for your programming and willingness to set this up. None of the other Netflix integrations even come close to being as smooth as this is.

I have installed this add-on and have it all working, with one minor issue. I select something to watch and it drops out of XBMC and into Chrome briefly, then re-focuses back into XBMC. If I select the windows key on the keyboard, I can see Chome is active and playing the item I selected for Netflixbmc to play. It looks like a focus issue, but I cannot see how to make Chrome keep focus.

Specs:
Frodo 12.2
Netflixbmc 1.2.2
Chrome Launch 1.0.7

Not sure if this is supported any longer, but I need someone with more knowledge than I to point me in the right direction.
(2014-01-03, 02:39)Big2hd Wrote: ^^Same thing sort of I keep getting "Info Chrome Not Found" while trying to use Amazon plug in, can't edit anything cause my chrome is in AppData folder(Win764)

UPDATE: Found a installer that puts Chrome in Program Files so it's all good sort of but problems more have to due with Amazon plugin than launcher(no real easy way to switch back to xbmc from chrome window.)

New thread for the Amazon addon.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182172&page=3

Please post any amazon specific problems there.
Enjoy my work? Check out my other projects.

XBMC Add-ons

Android Games
(2013-12-24, 10:38)LickitySplit Wrote: I'm sorry - this is probably a stupid question. I have installed chrome launcher, now how do I launch it? I have the Aeon MQ4 skin installed.
There should be an entry Programs/Apps in your homescreen...

(2013-12-25, 02:14)rob hodge Wrote: there is a kludge i've come up with to get things working as is;

it's this script run from within chrome launcher:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
sleep 30
pids= pidof chromium-browser
wait $pids
kill %1
this runs open box
waits 30 seconds
gets the Program id's of all the chromium processes
tells the script to wait untill all the chromium processes have terminated
then kill open box.

it is a hack; there is a potential race condition. if chromium doesn't open within 30 seconds of the start of the script, it wil ljust kill open box and exit, leaving the system kinda borked. i haven't had this happen, but it's why i'd rather launch chromium from within the script.
Thanks! Smile Nice solution. I will integrate and adjust it so that openbox could correctly get closed...

(2013-12-26, 04:09)Mman Wrote: I'm trying to get this to work, but I keep getting the error "Could not connect to network server". I have no idea what this is.
Sorry, i have no idea what could cause it. But it sounds like a general problem...

(2013-12-29, 17:29)wickchucker Wrote: I am trying to set a custom path for Chrome, but when I use the browse option to set the path, the AppData folder is not available. I need that as Chrome is located in /users/<username>/AppData/....etc in Windows. I have exited Xbmc and confirmed in explorer I do not have the option to hide folders on. Any help on how to set a path?
(2014-01-02, 23:26)jamesonmula Wrote: Dear AddonScripterDE,

many thanks for the bunch of beautiful add-ons you are coding. I have discovered them today and I can tell you I am going to use few of them a lot.
I came to this trying to have NetfliXBMC working. It looks that this requires Chrome Launcher. For some reason it won't find Chrome so I need to fix the path. But it's located on a non-accesible folder (Local folder is not listed).
(2014-01-03, 02:39)Big2hd Wrote: ^^Same thing sort of I keep getting "Info Chrome Not Found" while trying to use Amazon plug in, can't edit anything cause my chrome is in AppData folder(Win764)
Goto: System->Appearance->File lists and activate "Show hidden files and directories".
You should then be able to browse the AppData folder...

(2014-01-01, 08:43)Austintati0us Wrote: Current configuration:
-Apple TV 1
-Crystalbuntu
-XBMC 12.3 Frodo
-Pipelight / Silverlight 5.1 enabled
-Chrome Launcher with custom chrome path to opt/google/google-chrome-stable
-NetfliXBMC
-Google Chrome

Current Netflix status:
-NetfliXBMC loads
-Netflix profile user prompt
-Netflix menu and 'My List' populate
-Netflix content successfully loading with ability to view trailers via YouTube

The issue is now that once attempt to play a Netflix selection, a small, resized error window populates indicating that Chrome cannot be run from root. I have changed ownership of the folder to no avail. I believe getting Chrome to successfully open will be the last step in getting Netflix to stream in Crystalbuntu on an ATV1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xet6od7y245b6...xerror.jpg

Any ideas?

Update 1/2/2014
Changed directory ownership of opt and added permission to mode 4755. Error window no longer populates, but after selecting a movie, XBMC 'thinks' for awhile, but the movie does not play.
Sorry, don't really have an idea. When launching Chrome manually, does Netflix work?

(2014-01-03, 17:39)CAJN Wrote: Thank you so much for your programming and willingness to set this up. None of the other Netflix integrations even come close to being as smooth as this is.

I have installed this add-on and have it all working, with one minor issue. I select something to watch and it drops out of XBMC and into Chrome briefly, then re-focuses back into XBMC. If I select the windows key on the keyboard, I can see Chome is active and playing the item I selected for Netflixbmc to play. It looks like a focus issue, but I cannot see how to make Chrome keep focus.
Mmm, do you maybe have set <alwaysontop>true</alwaysontop> in your advancedsettings.xml? Are you directly booting to XBMC or do you have the normal desktop running?
(2014-01-03, 17:39)CAJN Wrote: Thank you so much for your programming and willingness to set this up. None of the other Netflix integrations even come close to being as smooth as this is.

Quote:Mmm, do you maybe have set <alwaysontop>true</alwaysontop> in your advancedsettings.xml? Are you directly booting to XBMC or do you have the normal desktop running?

Here is my advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<fullscreen>true</fullscreen>

<musiclibrary>
<itemseparator>/</itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>

<video>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
</video>
<audio>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward> <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek. Defaults to 30. -->
</audio>
<navigatevirtualkeyboard>true</navigatevirtualkeyboard>
</advancedsettings>

And to answer your other questions, I do have it set to go directly into XBMC via XBMCLauncher and yes the desktop is running (windows 7 Pro).

Thank you for your response.
(2014-01-05, 08:21)CAJN Wrote:

Quote:Mmm, do you maybe have set <alwaysontop>true</alwaysontop> in your advancedsettings.xml? Are you directly booting to XBMC or do you have the normal desktop running?

<advancedsettings>

<musiclibrary>
</musiclibrary>

<video>
</video>
<audio>
<timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward> <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek. Defaults to 30. -->
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

And to answer your other questions, I do have it set to go directly into XBMC via XBMCLauncher and yes the desktop is running (windows 7 Pro).

Ok, an update for any that may experience this issue. Within XBMCLauncher there is a setting that you need to untick (Permanently disable re-focus), as the Launcher will attempt to refocus XBMC every 10 seconds if you don't.

Props to the author of this thread to pointing me in the right direction, tyvm and what a well done plug-in.
(2014-01-05, 08:34)CAJN Wrote:
(2014-01-05, 08:21)CAJN Wrote:

<advancedsettings>

<musiclibrary>
</musiclibrary>

<video>
</video>
<audio>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Ok, an update for any that may experience this issue. Within XBMCLauncher there is a setting that you need to untick (Permanently disable re-focus), as the Launcher will attempt to refocus XBMC every 10 seconds if you don't.

Props to the author of this thread to pointing me in the right direction, tyvm and what a well done plug-in.

I have the same issue on Linux (using XBMCBuntu).
I made a script as suggested launching openbox and waiting for the pids of chrome to exit but XBMC regains focus after 30 seconds (exactly the delay before collecting the pids).

Does anyone else have the same issue?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Chrome Launcher8