How to default to AC3 audio track? (Mac, Handbrake, MP4, AC3)
D-tyme Wrote:"Best" wouldn't always be the best either (no pun intended). Example, If I have a ATV running XBMC but it is only connected to a TV, then I wouldn't want the AC3 track to play...

EDIT: well thinking about it, I guess it wouldn't matter, as XBMC will downgrade it automatically anyway.

Sure "best" can vary. If you only have a DD decoder than DTS is hardly the best. But the system should already know you don't support DTS via the sound settings. Is 6channel FLAC better than DTS? stuff like that. There's always trade offs and so many variations, but a good priority level is better than it just choosing track 1 all the time.

I still prefer AC3 downmixed on my box over someone else doing it and compressing it to AAC or MP3. Smile
Well, imo there are two issues at play here ... on is the existing functionality as far as I can see is broken in terms of "Apply to all movies".

That said ... obviously an 'intelligent' auto select feature would be nice as proposed previously. Language then most channels available. So if its say English ... then xbmc would choose the 'best' audio track based on the native language selected in xbmc by default (in this case English). Otherwise you would manually override it. We had a bit of this in the HandBrake gui in terms of selecting default languages. It will never fit everyone but the idea would be to satisfy the most common use case scenario. Just my .02.
For those with out the i7 Quad Core, remuxing for the home environment to move the "preferred" track to 1, maybe a solution; but for everyone else when gathering ones content, we just want to keep it as simple as possible, and the "best" track given settings would be great.

However I did not see setting that said my connected audio device supports TrueHD that it plays as DTS, or even a DTS option. I expect one needs to be able to configure a priority across each track encoding, and a language, that would result in the best track (by selected priority) for that language.

Perhaps this can be configured generally and then specifically by movie.
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was searching for how to get XBMC to default to using an ac3 track even when it isn't the first track. Like many in this thread have said, I have m4v files with stereo aac as the first track (for my AppleTV2). I don't want to have to select the ac3 track every time I start a movie in XBMC. So, I found the patch dteirney had made on trac (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5773) and made it work with the current git master branch. I also added a switch in the gui to turn it on and off. I submitted a pull request to try to get this into the xbmc/master branch. The pull request is here for comments: 255 (PR). Anyone willing to test and comment would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel
Awesome. Thanks for coding this!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I had issues with this at first too and discovered that the setting would save for each movie after it had been manually changed. I used SQLiteStudio to investigate where the settings were getting saved in the MyVideos database and found them in the "settings" table. Since all 500 of my movies are encoded the same way from standard def dvd, they could all be set the same. So I repopulated the table with records showing "1" instead of "-1" for the "AudioStream" setting. I haven't had to manually set each newly played movie since.

I realize this method won't work for some of you with multiple formats, but I just thought I'd throw it out as an option.
Why not just have a configurable priority list? That way everyone can configure the audio priorities how they like and in ways that suit their setup.
(2014-02-02, 08:30)xamindar Wrote: Why not just have a configurable priority list? That way everyone can configure the audio priorities how they like and in ways that suit their setup.

The thread you reply to is old and outdated. XBMC now has ways to select the audio track based on preference such as language and best audio quality.
(2014-02-02, 10:12)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-02-02, 08:30)xamindar Wrote: Why not just have a configurable priority list? That way everyone can configure the audio priorities how they like and in ways that suit their setup.

The thread you reply to is old and outdated. XBMC now has ways to select the audio track based on preference such as language and best audio quality.

Oh dang, I didn't realize this thread was so old. I found it because xbmc is not selecting the best audio track. I ripped some blurays with dpl as the first track and dts pasthrough as the second. Xbmc just plays the first track unless I manually switch to the second.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to default to AC3 audio track? (Mac, Handbrake, MP4, AC3)0