• 4(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-02-04, 22:34)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 20:50)bmfrosty Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 20:43)jammyb Wrote: No IR. No thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RHRC-1100...B005ZAK50K

Why the hell would I want a dongle hanging off the front of it? That won't even switch it on from powered off! Why don't you click the links in my sig below and see where i stuck that dongle mate! Then you might realise how stupid Asus are for not putting one in! Wink

do what I do use xbmc remote on a tablet, works great and very fast responce.
(2014-02-07, 07:00)hawk69 Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 22:34)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 20:50)bmfrosty Wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RHRC-1100...B005ZAK50K

Why the hell would I want a dongle hanging off the front of it? That won't even switch it on from powered off! Why don't you click the links in my sig below and see where i stuck that dongle mate! Then you might realise how stupid Asus are for not putting one in! Wink

Because we all don't do things the way you do them? I can't power up my box with a tablet using the xbmc app. I have had the xbmc ipad app hang the latest stable OpenElec build too (which is a bit of a mood killer when watching a movie). I don't like leaving an appliance like an HTPC up 24/7 because it wastes electricity and I don't want to have to listen to fans, etc.

Oh here is a good one too. Phone rings. With an IR setup I just reach for ther emote and feel the play/pause button and press it. With a tablet I have to find the tablet, turn it on, potentially unlock it. Run the xbmc app, wait for it to sync to the HTPC and then press the pause button. I guess that call was not really so important after all.

And then there's the whole "I was drinking a beer" or "I was eating a snack" and the tablet gets schmutz all over it, or gets destroyed or ruined.

Yeah tablets suck as remotes, now you know.
(2014-02-07, 08:13)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-02-07, 07:00)hawk69 Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 22:34)jammyb Wrote: Why the hell would I want a dongle hanging off the front of it? That won't even switch it on from powered off! Why don't you click the links in my sig below and see where i stuck that dongle mate! Then you might realise how stupid Asus are for not putting one in! Wink

Because we all don't do things the way you do them? I can't power up my box with a tablet using the xbmc app. I have had the xbmc ipad app hang the latest stable OpenElec build too (which is a bit of a mood killer when watching a movie). I don't like leaving an appliance like an HTPC up 24/7 because it wastes electricity and I don't want to have to listen to fans, etc.

Oh here is a good one too. Phone rings. With an IR setup I just reach for ther emote and feel the play/pause button and press it. With a tablet I have to find the tablet, turn it on, potentially unlock it. Run the xbmc app, wait for it to sync to the HTPC and then press the pause button. I guess that call was not really so important after all.

And then there's the whole "I was drinking a beer" or "I was eating a snack" and the tablet gets schmutz all over it, or gets destroyed or ruined.

Yeah tablets suck as remotes, now you know.

Hear hear!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

http://www.slashgear.com/hp-chromebox-de...-06316010/
Regards,
Embrion
Guess some of us have more important things to worry about besides IR and dongels hanging out. Don't like the PC? Then don't say anything obviously :-)
Sad 
http://www.slashgear.com/hp-chromebox-de...-06316010/

"HP Chromebox for Meetings kit will arrive priced at $999" Sad
(2014-02-07, 08:13)voip-ninja Wrote: Oh here is a good one too. Phone rings. With an IR setup I just reach for ther emote and feel the play/pause button and press it. With a tablet I have to find the tablet, turn it on, potentially unlock it. Run the xbmc app, wait for it to sync to the HTPC and then press the pause button. I guess that call was not really so important after all.

Are you familiar with the Yatse xbmc remote? It even has a feature that will pause xbmc when your phone rings while displaying the person calling on your tv and unpause when you hang up. No fumbling for anything. Freaks "normal" non-xbmc using friends out when they see it haha! It also can display truncated text messages right on your tv, which can be easily disabled with the press of one widget in case of company.

I get your points, just seems like you kind of exaggerated them a little bit to favor your views. ;] I can use my phone or tablet as a remote very efficiently with a little creativity to circumvent your aforementioned shortcomings and with so many more features than a standard remote. Ah to each their own. :]
In that case you'll need yatse on your phone and your tablet won't you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'd like to see you install yatse on my hardware wired analog home phone Smile
(2014-02-09, 04:15)davilla Wrote: I'd like to see you install yatse on my hardware wired analog home phone Smile
No but I can think of plenty of ways to pause a movie and display a caller id string given a fax capable modem or ata Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The zero cost solution is just pick up the remote and pause/mute Smile My, have we become lazy nowadays.
SO glad I did not buy the Vivo PC from Asus with last-gen celeron. only thing that worries me a little: do these Chromeboxes actually come with Linux-compatible BIOS or UEFI implementations? I've read that 2012 Chromebooks and -boxes had this developer switch to get the box into a mode where you could actually install some Linux flavours from stick/flash drive, but what's with the new ones?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
(2014-02-09, 22:00)Hannes The Hun Wrote: SO glad I did not buy the Vivo PC from Asus with last-gen celeron. only thing that worries me a little: do these Chromeboxes actually come with Linux-compatible BIOS or UEFI implementations? I've read that 2012 Chromebooks and -boxes had this developer switch to get the box into a mode where you could actually install some Linux flavours from stick/flash drive, but what's with the new ones?

Current late-2013 Acer Chromebook C720 with Haswell Celeron 2955U has the Legacy BIOS option. You enable developer mode (and USB booting) then press CTRL+L at splash screen for legacy or CTRL+D for Chrome OS. You can't bypass the splash screen (without reflashing AFAIK) - so it may not be a great solution for some. (I have just got OpenElec nightlies running on mine)
(2014-02-09, 04:15)davilla Wrote: I'd like to see you install yatse on my hardware wired analog home phone Smile

Party like its 1999 huh? To each his own I guess Confused
Pre-order
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...83-220-572

Available
03/14/2014

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8