• 23(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
I know you probably heard this already... Though save yourself the hassle and get a Flirc - the money goes to a good cause as well! Smile
I've read through the thread and just want to confirm for the DN2820FYKH:
  • 23.976 is fixed (saw a screenshot and mode output on OE forum)
  • DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough works
  • The maximum bitrate for hardware h.264 decode before dropping frames (e.g. does Samsung Oceanic Life 40Mbps play without drops)

I can provide a link to Oceanic Life via PM for someone to test if required.

The price for the i3 in Australia is nearly double the Celeron! (AUD$199 vs $389) so if the Celeron can do the above I will be getting two to replace my XIOS boxes!
(2014-02-08, 05:22)Speedst3r Wrote: I've read through the thread and just want to confirm for the DN2820FYKH:
  • The maximum bitrate for hardware h.264 decode before dropping frames (e.g. does Samsung Oceanic Life 40Mbps play without drops)

The price for the i3 in Australia is nearly double the Celeron! (AUD$199 vs $389) so if the Celeron can do the above I will be getting two to replace my XIOS boxes!

That's impressive!
(2014-02-07, 21:45)pjtpjt Wrote:
(2014-02-07, 20:24)SgtSlaughter Wrote: When I enter the BIOS the Visual BIOS is blank.
I am one step away from a RMA with Intel support.

The upgrade corrupted my POST and Visual bios outputs. I am also having issues with my HDMI aligning on 4 different televisions.

I cannot recommend Intel dn2820fyk for media center.

I'm sorry you had bad luck with your device, but so far I haven't seen many people complaining about it. I've received mine yesterday, and since I have updated the BIOS, installed Linux Mint Petra, XBMC, even Portal on Steam, and haven't had any problems. I've played with it for hours.
Next I'm gonna try Android x86 for sheer fun.

I got my DN2820FYKH's new Bios to work on a DVI/HDMI port on a different TV. The new BIOS post screen and Visual BIOS DOESN'T display with my Panasonic TC-P42S1 TV. (the screen is totally blank) Windows will display after bootup but the sound thru HDMI is totally broken now.

I was able to find a Advanced setting on my TV and fixed the misaligned picture. (I have found multiple televisions with this issue!) HD size needed to be changed to "size 2". I can't believe how crappy the Intel HD graphics works. looks like Intel's fix to get Openelec to boot is force customers to buy new televisions.

My RaspberryPI, Ouya and Old Ass AMD GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H Board works just fine without any issues on any TV. I am very disappointed with Intel. Maybe AMD will release a better product soon.
I just found this review, not sure if it's already been posted: Legitreviews.com Intel NUC DN2820FYKH Bay Trail System Review

Quote:We were able to stream 720p and 1080P content flawlessly for the most part. Our mkv 720p/1080p and mkv 1080p dts-hd files played without stutters or any audio issues, so we were pretty happy. If you have a bunch of 1080P content ~20Mbps DTS, but it does struggle with 1080p Hi10P w/ FLAC audio, which is sort of the 800 pound gorilla in the room in terms of newer standards that are pushing the limits of hardware requirements.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn...WsqJKro.99
(2014-02-08, 05:33)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-02-08, 05:22)Speedst3r Wrote: I've read through the thread and just want to confirm for the DN2820FYKH:

That's impressive!
Sorry, I meant if someone who already has a DN2820FYKH could confirm those bullet points Smile
S
I think this thing is great just mine is so messed up it won't boot anything at all I have to new set BIOS and can not reinstall it or anything I was wondering if anyone else is having this happen.
Knowing Intel, these issues will most likely be ironed out.
(2014-02-08, 07:27)nooryani84 Wrote: Knowing Intel, these issues will most likely be ironed out.

Yeah right. You mean in a year... or two... or maybe.
https://communities.intel.com/message/22...irect=true
(2014-02-08, 09:13)Crssi Wrote:
(2014-02-08, 07:27)nooryani84 Wrote: Knowing Intel, these issues will most likely be ironed out.

I'm sorry to hear that, I can sympathize with your frustrations.
I received my Bay Trail NUC this evening and quickly set it up. Hopefully this can reassure people of it's capabilities. Click the links for evidence.

DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough works
Oceanic Life skipped 1 frame on the initial bootup and then played through the entire folder without any skipped or dropped frames.

This was on a hastily setup unit running version 0021 of the bios and openelec nightly "OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140204145610-r17626-g97447e4"

I was able to boot off USB 3.0 stick using instructions from this thread. If the unit boots to a blank screen, keep pressing F2 to get into setup. Another snag I ran into was I was unable to flash the bios from within Visual Bios. Instead I had to press F7 repeatedly at startup before the BIOS screen to get into an old school text based BIOS flash utility which allowed me to update via USB. I am using a Crucial 2GB CT25664BF1339 stick with 512MB allocated for Video in the BIOS. I did remove the wi-fi card, as I only use wired ethernet and find the dual NIC's more trouble than it's worth. I didn't mess with the IR receiver, as I use FLIRC and think that is a superior solution.

I hope than clarifies some questions and I plan to play with it some more this weekend as time allows.
(2014-02-08, 12:02)Geekzilla Wrote: I received my Bay Trail NUC this evening and quickly set it up. Hopefully this can reassure people of it's capabilities. Click the links for evidence.

DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough works
Oceanic Life skipped 1 frame on the initial bootup and then played through the entire folder without any skipped or dropped frames.

This was on a hastily setup unit running version 0021 of the bios and openelec nightly "OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140204145610-r17626-g97447e4"

I was able to boot off USB 3.0 stick using instructions from this thread. If the unit boots to a blank screen, keep pressing F2 to get into setup. Another snag I ran into was I was unable to flash the bios from within Visual Bios. Instead I had to press F7 repeatedly at startup before the BIOS screen to get into an old school text based BIOS flash utility which allowed me to update via USB. I am using a Crucial 2GB CT25664BF1339 stick with 512MB allocated for Video in the BIOS. I did remove the wi-fi card, as I only use wired ethernet and find the dual NIC's more trouble than it's worth. I didn't mess with the IR receiver, as I use FLIRC and think that is a superior solution.

I hope than clarifies some questions and I plan to play with it some more this weekend as time allows.
Thanks for that! When you are playing a video with 23.976 FPS are you having the refresh rate match the video? What is the output of codecinfo? Just realised Oceanic Life is 29.97 fps. Any of the "23.98" files from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php can be used to test 23.976.
(2014-02-08, 09:13)Crssi Wrote:

Sounds like Intel is never going to fix this BIOS bug. Guess I purchased a paperweight if I don't buy a compatible tv.
This is the last intel product I ever purchase.
Tested again tonight with the latest OpenELEC build, and there was a SMALL improvement in 1080p playback (on a 8gb movie), but the stuttering is still there. Menu navigation and scrolling is still complete shit.

Will wait for some official releases and further driver/bios updates before calling it a day. Cannot recommend the unit at this point, sad to say. The BIOS is ridiculously buggy, and since upgrading to v21, I've lost the ability to use the BOOT menu: utter rubbish.
I've tested mine on the TV, a 37" Samsung LCD, the picture is good, and I could enter the BIOS. XBMC is configured to login automatically after boot, it's smooth, haven't played 1080p only 720p, but I'll test it later with an 1080p video.
The shutdown/reboot bug still persists, but if I hold the power button when it wants to start again, then it will turn off completely. No keyboard or mouse input wakes it up again, only pressing the power button.

The 4.3 Android x86 stick didn't want to boot, if I'll have time, I'll fiddle with it a little, try 4.2.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5