• 140(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
(2014-02-18, 22:27)fritsch Wrote: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTYwNzU <- just as information.

Ubuntu won't ship vdpau with 14.04 ...

Minus mesa it should be good correct? Would wsnipex be the option in the future or maybe leveraging ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers?
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
Wsnipex already does testing packages for Trusty (even in his mesa ppa). I don't know about the current oibaf state.

I will upgrade that howto during middle of march after I have tested it on Trusty.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-18, 22:27)fritsch Wrote: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTYwNzU <- just as information.

Ubuntu won't ship vdpau with 14.04 ...

Okki dokki,
what distro shall we move to?
OpenElec?
| myHTPC |
(2014-02-19, 10:00)-DDD- Wrote: OpenElec?

If it suits your needs, why not.
I would argue that openelec isn't a distro, it is an appliance. (A very good appliance at what it does, but still an appliance) Smile
(2014-02-19, 10:49)laric Wrote: I would argue that openelec isn't a distro, it is an appliance. (A very good appliance at what it does, but still an appliance) Smile
You are right, it is not a distro.
But... by selecting Ubuntu mini distro, we are doing mainly the same things here Wink

PS: I have bought recently HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11(AMD A6-1450) laptop , and have been trying to make it work smoothly with OSS/VDPAU, but desperately... So, had to move back to more stable <XVBA XBMC + latest 14.1 fglrx beta> solution.
Always fun to read "fglrx and xvba and stable" in one sentence :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Tongue 
(2014-02-19, 17:22)fritsch Wrote: Always fun to read "fglrx and xvba and stable" in one sentence :-)

Sorry, You are correct, I just... forgot to mention : "stable... compate to the current OSS/VDPAU..." Tongue
Yeah and even more fun to generalize from one single random sample.

Code:
int random()
{
  return 4; // done by a fair dice
}
(2014-02-19, 18:39)smv1210 Wrote:
(2014-02-19, 17:22)fritsch Wrote: Always fun to read "fglrx and xvba and stable" in one sentence :-)

Sorry, You are correct, I just... forgot to mention : "stable... compate to the current OSS/VDPAU..." Tongue

For me both xvba and oss/vdpau was/are stable, even though i compile drivers and kernel directly from git.
What's the minimum VRAM needed for XBMC (1080p playback of blu-ray, h264 movies up to 35GB)? Kind of tight on ram (running a home server with the htpc), and having 384mb dedicated to video decoding seems like a lot, I won't play any games (at least until I get some ram)
(2014-02-18, 06:22)samsonluk Wrote:
(2014-02-16, 12:36)wsnipex Wrote: you should be able to use both monitors, but I guess not with extended desktop but 2 separate screens.

2 separate screens are fine, at the moment XBMC display is output to both the laptop LCD and on the TV. I mainly use a remote to control XBMC on TV but not on the laptop screen. It would be great if I can get XBMC run in the background and video out only to TV so that I can use the laptop LCD for Ubuntu applications.

No hints on this...?
(2014-02-20, 04:05)deivid Wrote: What's the minimum VRAM needed for XBMC (1080p playback of blu-ray, h264 movies up to 35GB)? Kind of tight on ram (running a home server with the htpc), and having 384mb dedicated to video decoding seems like a lot, I won't play any games (at least until I get some ram)

512MB at least for H264 Level5.1@high. Don't forget xbmc is OpenGL and the renderer uses shaders and, and, and ...
(2014-02-20, 07:02)samsonluk Wrote:
(2014-02-18, 06:22)samsonluk Wrote:
(2014-02-16, 12:36)wsnipex Wrote: you should be able to use both monitors, but I guess not with extended desktop but 2 separate screens.

2 separate screens are fine, at the moment XBMC display is output to both the laptop LCD and on the TV. I mainly use a remote to control XBMC on TV but not on the laptop screen. It would be great if I can get XBMC run in the background and video out only to TV so that I can use the laptop LCD for Ubuntu applications.

No hints on this...?

No, that's a general Linux / Ubuntu / how do I config my X question. Not related to this thread and all was already said.
  • 140(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26