• 141(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
(2014-02-20, 09:05)fritsch Wrote:
(2014-02-20, 04:05)deivid Wrote: What's the minimum VRAM needed for XBMC (1080p playback of blu-ray, h264 movies up to 35GB)? Kind of tight on ram (running a home server with the htpc), and having 384mb dedicated to video decoding seems like a lot, I won't play any games (at least until I get some ram)

512MB at least for H264 Level5.1@high. Don't forget xbmc is OpenGL and the renderer uses shaders and, and, and ...

I launched xbmc with:

Code:
GALLIUM_HUD=requested-VRAM xbmc

And it showed ~180MB requested vram playing some 60 fps 1080p clips. Is that the real vram usage?
+ UVD Memory (which is max 256 MB)

so: 256 + 180 = ?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-20, 04:05)deivid Wrote: What's the minimum VRAM needed for XBMC (1080p playback of blu-ray, h264 movies up to 35GB)? Kind of tight on ram (running a home server with the htpc), and having 384mb dedicated to video decoding seems like a lot, I won't play any games (at least until I get some ram)

512MB at least for H264 Level5.1@high. Don't forget xbmc is OpenGL and the renderer uses shaders and, and, and ...

Thanks. Right now I'm using 384 and it works fine (never stuttering or anything like that) I'll set it to 512 when I get another 2gb stick
since a week or so I get a xbmc compile error allready during autoreconf complaining about java missing. OpenJDK 1.7 is however installed. Why is there java needed anyway?
Here the log:
http://pastebin.com/pjBL05Yq

This time it is not ccache, cause thats uninstalled. Also I re-downloaded the complete source from git several times.
I am on mesa 10.0.3, opensuse tumbleweed (kernel 3.13.3) - but also testet with mesa 10.2 git, E-350 system.

thanks, tomme
Fusion E-350, 4 GB RAM, SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit KDE, Mesa-10.2.3, latest stable Kernel, XBMC FernetMenta-Git
What's the output of: which java
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
thanks - good hint
I am such a linux noob still after 10 years desktop usage :/
however package management said java was installed, but "which" told the truth - I re-installed java, and now it works and is compiling right now Smile
Fusion E-350, 4 GB RAM, SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit KDE, Mesa-10.2.3, latest stable Kernel, XBMC FernetMenta-Git
(2014-02-22, 12:42)tomtomme Wrote: thanks - good hint
I am such a linux noob still after 10 years desktop usage :/
however package management said java was installed, but "which" told the truth - I re-installed java, and now it works and is compiling right now Smile

Which just told you that the java binary is/was not on your users path (where it searches for the binarys) reinstall may have added the binary location to your path but may be otherwise completely unnessecary.

http://www.linfo.org/path_env_var.html
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?which
Just to provide a little linux basics Smile
(2014-02-22, 14:15)Jan0sh Wrote: Which just told you that the java binary is/was not on your users path (where it searches for the binarys) reinstall may have added the binary location to your path but may be otherwise completely unnessecary.

http://www.linfo.org/path_env_var.html
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?which
Just to provide a little linux basics Smile

thanks man! Smile
Looks like we should expect qvdpautest to show lower values in a future kernel.

Code:
  Date: Friday 21 Feb 2014 17:30:32
  To: Christian König
  Groups: gmane.comp.video.dri.devel

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Christian König
wrote:
> Am 21.02.2014 17:34, schrieb Alex Deucher:
>
>> Now that Christian fixed the performance problems with
>> the feedback buffer in mesa, we can enable variable UVD
>> clocks.  There are multiple UVD power states associated
>> with different types and numbers of streams.  This uses
>> the appropriate state based on that information rather
>> than always using the fastest UVD clocks which saves some
>> power.  One possible downside is that this may adversely
>> affect decode benchmarks since these power states target
>> specific playback requirements rather than maximum
>> performance.  If that becomes an issue, we can add a
>> sysfs attribute to force the max UVD state.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher
>
>
> Reviewed-by: Christian König
>
> Additional to that we should also count the number of frames per second
> submitted to choose a power state, but that's not so urgent right now.
>
> Do you want to pull that in through drm-fixes or should I apply it to the
> drm-next-3.15 tree? For me it sounds more like drm-next.

Yes, this is drm-next material.  thanks!

Alex
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2

I checked in the BIOS settings and the amount of RAM shared with the video card is "auto".
I use the HTPC also as file server, so "Auto" seems the best option, i.e. use the maximum amount only when needed.
What are the side effects of setting "Auto" in the BIOS settings for the amount of VRAM?
Auto is: what you bios wants to give. It does not change on the fly -> don't use it.
2014/02/24: Updated to kernel 3.13.5 this adds two important fixes for HD 7xxx and Kabini <-
(2014-02-24, 16:56)fritsch Wrote: 2014/02/24: Updated to kernel 3.13.5 this adds two important fixes for HD 7xxx and Kabini <-

A few words on those updates?
Hi! I've got this notebook which I thought to use as xbmc fr watching live tv from tvheadend (no HD channels so really do not care about hdmi etc issue). I was trying to install sausy on it but right after first screen somehow the internal keyboard is blocked and I cannot even start installation... ANY IDEAS?
use the server iso and select "minimal" when pressing F4 from the bootloader
  • 141(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26