Thumbnails on FTP share
I set up a folder to be ftp shared on a PC A under an access point having real IP address say 123.123.123.123.

PC B also under the same AP can access that ftp folder with two different addresses namely 192.168.0.2 (not going outside the AP) or 123.123.123.123 (with port forwarding).

Having no trouble in playing files in both ways.

Thmumbnails are shown when accessed via 192.168.0.2 address.
They are not shown, however, when acced via registered IP address 123.123.123.123.

I'm testing in file mode (no library utilized). Thumbnails are created from the video files (and cached I think).

Is there any way to view thumbnails for FTP share with real IP address ?

Thanks in advance.
Thumbnails are set based on file path, so when the IP changes then XBMC can't find a thumbnail with that new path. Using Path subs (wiki) to fake the path so it is the same both inside and outside the network might work. Basically, add the source using the same IP, but make a second profile (wiki) that shares the database with its own advancedsettings.xml file and path subs to point the internal IP to the external IP.
(2014-02-26, 03:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Thumbnails are set based on file path, so when the IP changes then XBMC can't find a thumbnail with that new path. Using Path subs (wiki) to fake the path so it is the same both inside and outside the network might work. Basically, add the source using the same IP, but make a second profile (wiki) that shares the database with its own advancedsettings.xml file and path subs to point the internal IP to the external IP.

Let me change the problem statement.

Simply, "Thumbnails for video files on an ftp share are not created.". IP number for that ftp server is fixed.
Is there any workaround ?
Yes, the workaround I just described. You have to make two profiles (wiki), one the internal IP, second for the external IP. Both share the same data, but one has an advancedsettings.xml file with path subs (wiki) that instructs XBMC to pretend that the external IP is really the internal IP, so it looks the same for the sake of thumbnails.
(2014-02-27, 03:43)Ned Scott Wrote: Yes, the workaround I just described. You have to make two profiles (wiki), one the internal IP, second for the external IP. Both share the same data, but one has an advancedsettings.xml file with path subs (wiki) that instructs XBMC to pretend that the external IP is really the internal IP, so it looks the same for the sake of thumbnails.

Sorry for keep bugging.

Above scenario works for XBMC on a notebook. as

1. Inside the local server IP range, generate thumnails and cache them.
2. Beyond the local AP area, access the file server using ddns name and fake the IP using path sub.

Right ?

What if XBMC accessing the server is on a remotely located Desktop PC ?
In other words, if accessing the server vial local IP address or samba protocol is impossible, is it impossible to use thumnails in file mode ?
2 and "remotely located desktop PC" should be the same kind of situation. In both situations you are connecting using one address, but are able to fake the local address using path subs. Unless I'm misunderstanding you completely.
(2014-02-28, 08:52)Ned Scott Wrote: 2 and "remotely located desktop PC" should be the same kind of situation. In both situations you are connecting using one address, but are able to fake the local address using path subs. Unless I'm misunderstanding you completely.

It seems same q&a's are keep repeating.
Let me ask you once again with an example

1. Video files are on a NAS running FTP server with IP name home.nas.pe and having IP address 123.123.123.123
2. XBMC (Gotham nightly BTW if it matters) is running on a desktop PC on a remote site with no video files on it.
3. NAS files are ftp shared via ftp://home.nas.pe/Video or ftp://123.123.123.123/Video

Then should I add the following lines to advancedsettings.xml ?
can "FakeFolder" be any folder with no video files under it ?

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>ftp://123.123.123.123/Video/</from>
<to>G:\FakeFolder\</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnails on FTP share0