• 47(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
I've had similar issues with chop during video playback since getting an Asus Xonar DGX to replace a massively old Audigy (reasons due to driver support).

On this card, the "regular" advice to use the DirectSound output was causing the chop. Changing to WASAPI cleared the problem up.

Just thought I'd leave this here in case anyone else has similar issues.

Common to Win 7 ultimate x64 and Win 8 x64 (dual-boot machine), 4-core AMD / 16GB RAM.
Help!!!
I cannot get sound through my TV no matter what settings I use in XMBC via HDMI cable , any other player is fine for playback to Tv, very frustrating
I HAVE PROBLEM WITH THE SOUND.AT THE TOP OF THE PC SHOWS THE MUTE SIGNAL AND I CANNOT BRING BACK THE SOUND.HELP ME
F8 toggles mute mode on/off or the + plus key to increase volume from 0 (mute)
LaughTHANK YOU MY FRIEND
I have looked through all the guides and I still cannot get 5.1 sound with XBMC. My set up is Windows 8.1 with an Asus Xonar D2X sound card. The sound card is connected to a Sony STR-DH540 using S/PDIF. Using other Windows programs such as Firefox, VLC player etc I do get 5.1 sound. It's only in XBMC that I cannot get 5.1 sound. I am only getting stereo. I have no sound from the center and rear speakers.

I have tried analog. For the optical/coax I have tried Directsound and WASAPI and neither of them will give me 5.1 sound.
Can you post a debug log please of you playing something, see log_file (wiki) for instructions.
(2014-03-14, 16:08)jjd-uk Wrote: Can you post a debug log please of you playing something, see log_file (wiki) for instructions.

I have done that.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=149202
(2014-03-15, 00:10)ennogs Wrote:
(2014-03-14, 16:08)jjd-uk Wrote: Can you post a debug log please of you playing something, see log_file (wiki) for instructions.

I have done that.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=149202
That log doesn't tell what's going on because you haven't tried playing anything in 5.1.

However from that log I can see from the reported device capabilities so what should work for you is:

Audio output: Coax/Optical
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver: enabled
DTS capable receiver: enabled
All other capable receiver: disabled
Audio output device: SPDIF - S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device)
Passthrough output device: SPDIF - S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device)
Ok I (think) I have done the settings right now but I am still only in stereo. I may be wrong on this but it looks like to me because I don't have the right audio configuration XBMC is recognising this when I play anything and that is why the logs did not show I tried to play something with 5.1 sound.

For the audio output device and passthrough output device I have tried both directsound and wasapi SPDIF -S/PDIF pass-through device (Asus Xonar D2X Audio Device)

I just tried to play a film called Essex boys retribution. This is the screenshot from the audio configuration and a screenshot I got when playing the film.

Am I still doing something wrong?

I have tried to watch about 4 different films and they all have SD AAC 2.0 like in the screenshot below

If it help the manual for my receiver (Sony STR DH540) says via coax/optical it is capable of

Dolby Digital
DTS
DTS 96/24
Your settings look ok, don't be mislead as many are in thinking a Speaker Configuration of 2.0 does not allow 5.1, this setting is actually number of available uncompressed PCM channels, so SPDIF is only capable of having 2.

AC3 and DTS are compressed formats so take up much less space than uncompressed PCM, hence 5.1 compressed audio can be embedded into 2.0 uncompressed PCM channels.

As for that Essex Boys video, the OSD reports it only has a 2.0 audio track so yes all you're going to get is stereo sound. Check your files with MediaInfo to ensure what you think might be 5.1 actually is.
(2014-03-18, 01:30)jjd-uk Wrote: Your settings look ok, don't be mislead as many are in thinking a Speaker Configuration of 2.0 does not allow 5.1, this setting is actually number of available uncompressed PCM channels, so SPDIF is only capable of having 2.

AC3 and DTS are compressed formats so take up much less space than uncompressed PCM, hence 5.1 compressed audio can be embedded into 2.0 uncompressed PCM channels.

As for that Essex Boys video, the OSD reports it only has a 2.0 audio track so yes all you're going to get is stereo sound. Check your files with MediaInfo to ensure what you think might be 5.1 actually is.

Thanks. How do you check files with MediaInfo?

Edit

According to what I found out on Google Saving Private Ryan and Avatar should be in 5.1 but I am still only getting stereo.
MediaInfo is a free program you can download, you simply drag & drop file onto it and it'll report the details.
My friend also has 5.1 speakers. His is connected to the motherboard onboard sound. We both played Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest from the same source/link. I am getting stereo he is getting 5.1

Here is my screenshot

This is my friends screenshot

(2014-03-18, 01:45)jjd-uk Wrote: MediaInfo is a free program you can download, you simply drag & drop file onto it and it'll report the details.

So I would first need to download a file from XBMC? That creates a new problem for me as I don't know how to download with XBMC yet. I tried using jdownloader but it did not work. When I try and download I get an error message that says Failed to connect to the server (=Jdownloader)
Where are you playing the movies from? as you simply open Explorer and drag & drop into MediaInfo, but no matter you can also get some media details within xbmc, when playing video press O that that will press up the codec info including audio details.

Both of those screenshots suggest the movie is only 2.0 so your friend must be doing something else to get 5.1
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10