Am I mad to consider changing from Windows to Linux?
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...g_OpenELEC
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I've recently moved from a Linux server with tvheadend and a centralised mysql database to a WHS 2011 backend and Argus TV. One thing to be aware of is that Adam who is the brains behind TVHeadend has recently posted on the site that he's going to take a back seat and last time I looked there didn't seem to be anyone up for taking over. TVHeadend is a great program though and I used it for a couple of years, but ultimately I wanted to go back to Argus (I was previously a Mediaportal user with a For The Record backend before the XBMC PVR solution)
For the record (Argus pun there... see what I did?), Adam is still actively engaged on tvheadend and is committing code to both the main application and the PVR addon. His call to arms is really that it's all turned into a one-man show, and he needs some extra pairs of hands to keep it viable and vibrant - I believe he has had some volunteers (there are certainly some new PRs coming in on github) so the future isn't as bleak as one might think.
(2014-03-18, 20:48)Prof Yaffle Wrote: For the record (Argus pun there... see what I did?), Adam is still actively engaged on tvheadend and is committing code to both the main application and the PVR addon. His call to arms is really that it's all turned into a one-man show, and he needs some extra pairs of hands to keep it viable and vibrant - I believe he has had some volunteers (there are certainly some new PRs coming in on github) so the future isn't as bleak as one might think.

That's good news, TVHeadend is a great program, sorry to Adam and anyone else I may have confused with my post above. To clarify I had a motherboard failure with my Unraid server so had a rethink and went the Windows option. For a number of reasons.

1. I'm far more proficient with Windows than Linux, I had a problem recording on one of my tuners in TVHeadend, being non-linux savvy it had me stumped, switched to Windows, hey presto, worked out it was a faulty card and RMA'd
2. Unraid meant I was dependent on plugins developed by the community, Now I have a bit more freedom installing what I want.
3. I liked the idea of Transparent RAID from Flexraid and dual parity and being able to pull the disks and put them into another Windows system. When my Unraid server died, my whole entertainment in the house went with it as I only had a couple of Openelec clients. Now I can at least get something up and running in a few hours by using my desktop if I needed to.

Sorry to digress from the OPs original question, just wanted to apologise and clear up any confusion.

PS. Where in the middlish are you from. I'm in Wolves :o)
PPS. Just seen you're a donator, Reminded me I must do that, so on it now!
@CHBMB - I lived in Brum for many years, but have drifted a bit south since then. And you're on a promise now, I expect your username to become orange before too long Smile
(2014-03-18, 15:30)elsmandino Wrote: I wish I had tried tvheadend first as suggested - is there any way I can try it out without making any changes to my current PC?

A really simple way is to buy one of these http://www.tbsdtv.com/launch/moi-pro-dvb...g-box.html Just the normal version is fine. Basically its an all in one box with both TVheadend and VDR installed, so you only have to plug in your DVB-S2 cables and connect to your internet.
(2014-03-23, 21:46)Prof Yaffle Wrote: @CHBMB - I lived in Brum for many years, but have drifted a bit south since then. And you're on a promise now, I expect your username to become orange before too long Smile

I'm slowly drifting north myself, soon to be wife likes Staffordshire. I've donated £10 & $50 so I hope you will indeed see my username become orange.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Am I mad to consider changing from Windows to Linux?0