Xbox One as a host for XBMC
With the new "universal apps" capability in Windows, what are the chances of porting XBMC to the Xbox One? It already has great streaming capabilities, but it can't handle any kind of locally stored media.

I'd LOVE (and pay!) to see XBMC available as an Xbox One app.

Laugh
I highly doubt Microsoft would ever approve XBMC for release on the store, they want you in their walled garden using their video and music services. I'm not sure the devs would even be interested, its a pretty locked down platform.
They allow Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc. So why not the content on my local drive?
Because their motto is "BE EVIL".

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Because those services are huge and make the xbox a lot more attractive to customers. XBMC might make the xbox more attractive, but on a much much smaller scale. XBMC wouldn't pull in enough people for Microsoft to want to take the risk.
(2014-04-04, 02:33)menkalos Wrote: They allow Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc. So why not the content on my local drive?

Those are all paid services that encourage people to spend money on the service itself, and also on the Xbox Live Gold subscription required to access those paid services on an Xbox 360 or Xbox One. If people are using XBMC to play their local media (which many people are not paying for!), what's in it for Microsoft? Absolutely nothing.

More importantly, even if XBMC was on the Xbox One, how many Xbox One units would it help them sell? How long until people complain that they want it on the 360? There's just nothing in it for Microsoft, except maybe to appease a small minority of tech heads.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see Ned Scott's reply, which already said the same thing I did. I opened this tab long ago and forgot to refresh it before replying to it.
Oh man, I totally forgot that Microsoft expects people to buy Live just to watch Netflix. Crazy retarded. Even if they came to us and said "We want XBMC on the xbox one, and we'll give the XBMC Foundation a million dollars, but it has to require people to sign into xbox Live", personally, I would tell them to go jump off a cliff.
word is they granted plex entrance to id@Xbox to allow them to develop plex for xbox one. ill believe it when i see it.
you know Microsoft what they mean by "universal apps" is probably just some sort of html/css/javascrit toolkit to allow news websites or simple apps, to quickly build web based apps. they are becoming worse than apple, no way they are going to give us hardware/software access
and even if they do it will probably cost thousands for a dev kit
That's not accurate at all. You can develop full fledged apps with the new universal model.
Post 2. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191393

Yes but universal app support on xbox must get approval from Microsoft. They could easily say no, for example xbmc's plugin system is bit of a wild west zone.

Also plex is typically just an interface to the native media player on whatever device it's running on while the server transcodes content to make it compatible with native player, thats how plex has gotten on so many closed devices and how they got xbox one approval. All they have to do is cook up a plex interface to the xbox media player, it's not like xbmc which replaces the whole thing with it's own internal codecs and media decoding.
(2014-04-05, 17:15)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Post 2. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191393

post #2 was by someone that just joined and has only posted once.
it seams all the people who originally posted that plex got the go ahead by Microsoft are also new members with very little posts
if they really did wouldn't they post it on their blog or somewhere more official? maybe a sticky on the forum?

maybe I am wrong but I have not seen anything on the internet that looks real yet.
(2014-04-05, 18:26)JustinBeaird Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 17:15)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Post 2. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191393

post #2 was by someone that just joined and has only posted once.
it seams all the people who originally posted that plex got the go ahead by Microsoft are also new members with very little posts
if they really did wouldn't they post it on their blog or somewhere more official? maybe a sticky on the forum?

maybe I am wrong but I have not seen anything on the internet that looks real yet.

Well when Plex was announced for Chromecast and the new Amazon box it was only after the product was announced. I didn't even hear about the work in progress leading up to it. I could be wrong and might have missed it for Chromecast but i k.ow for sure they did that with the Amazon box.

Plex has been confirmed that it will be running on Xbox one your move XBMC please don't make me switch media players I've never even used Plex

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/04/05/pl...g-xbox-one

I love XBMC and use it almost daily but to have it on my xbox one would just make my home theatre perfect
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One as a host for XBMC2