Xbox One as a host for XBMC
(2014-04-19, 14:39)CharlieM Wrote: Not to ruffle any feathers but if theres a port for platforms like raspberry pi and ubuntu/linux which I have no hard facts to back up my argument but I suspect have a very small number of users why can't there be one for the xbox one? It's a strong solid platform and if it's developed with Microsofts blessing then that alone eliminates the battle that Apple tv and the like have to fight. Apple is always releasing updates to counter all the hard work that has been done therefore creating more work for the development team to repair the damage. If Microsoft grants developer rights then you have them working with you as opposed to against you. To me that is the strongest reason to do it.

XBMC Raspberry Pi users outnumber all other OS/platform user groups for XBMC usage. They are the largest group of XBMC users today. Not Windows, not Mac OS X, not iOS/ATV2, not Android, not even desktop linux versions. Raspberry Pi. Yes, really.
(2014-04-20, 17:56)CharlieM Wrote: Well I believe they would allow it. It would prevent the hacking of the console which leads to video game piracy. I think it would be in their best interests to work with you. After all with modding they risk game piracy while working with you it can be prevented. As far as media content goes it's not theirs thats at risk. Give the people what they want and they'll work with you not against you. As far as ATV goes thats a system that is updated infrequently and once it is you have to work around the new update. While as a developer they let you know before hand of the update so you can incorporate the changes into your program (correct me if i'm wrong but I believe thats how it works). I do appreciate you listening to my point of view without getting all defensive like some people tend to do. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone just change the thought process a bit. I realize XBMC is not Plex my only point is simply if Plex has been granted permission than why not XBMC?

No one has actually said "no" to any of this. Tons of skepticism, sure, but no one is stonewalling a port of XBMC to xbox one, no one (yet) has said it wouldn't be allowed, and no one says it isn't technically possible. However, no one wants to work on this.

If you can find someone who wants to work on it and can actually pull it off, heck, that would probably get them formally invited to join Team XBMC, and a parade thrown in their honor.
(2014-04-21, 08:01)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 17:56)CharlieM Wrote: Well I believe they would allow it. It would prevent the hacking of the console which leads to video game piracy. I think it would be in their best interests to work with you. After all with modding they risk game piracy while working with you it can be prevented. As far as media content goes it's not theirs thats at risk. Give the people what they want and they'll work with you not against you. As far as ATV goes thats a system that is updated infrequently and once it is you have to work around the new update. While as a developer they let you know before hand of the update so you can incorporate the changes into your program (correct me if i'm wrong but I believe thats how it works). I do appreciate you listening to my point of view without getting all defensive like some people tend to do. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone just change the thought process a bit. I realize XBMC is not Plex my only point is simply if Plex has been granted permission than why not XBMC?

No one has actually said "no" to any of this. Tons of skepticism, sure, but no one is stonewalling a port of XBMC to xbox one, no one (yet) has said it wouldn't be allowed, and no one says it isn't technically possible. However, no one wants to work on this.

If you can find someone who wants to work on it and can actually pull it off, heck, that would probably get them formally invited to join Team XBMC, and a parade thrown in their honor.

Fair enough I wish that I had the skills to contribute to this goal but sadly I do not. As far as the earlier mention regarding Xbmc affecting Xbox One sales I believe people having trouble deciding on which console to buy would probably lean towards the one that actually plays all their media.

As far as raspberry pi being the most popular platform for Xbmc yes I do find that very surprising I honestly thought it would be Apple tv as I have jailbroken literally hundreds just to install XBMC and I know for a fact that that has driven sales for Apple TV as thats the only reason these people have purchased one. Personally I found the apple tv to be to under powered.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
(2014-04-22, 03:35)CharlieM Wrote: As far as raspberry pi being the most popular platform for Xbmc yes I do find that very surprising I honestly thought it would be Apple tv as I have jailbroken literally hundreds just to install XBMC and I know for a fact that that has driven sales for Apple TV as thats the only reason these people have purchased one. Personally I found the apple tv to be to under powered.

I'm almost certain the popularity is because of the cheap price point and simplicity of setup. Apple tv doesn't surprise me as not being popular because the newest box that can be jailbroken hasn't been on the market for 2 years. If the Apple Tv 3 ever gets jailbroken it may increase in popularity.
(2014-04-04, 11:31)Ned Scott Wrote: Because those services are huge and make the xbox a lot more attractive to customers. XBMC might make the xbox more attractive, but on a much much smaller scale. XBMC wouldn't pull in enough people for Microsoft to want to take the risk.

Interesting, no kinect+xbmc are the 2 reasons I need to even consider buying the xbox as an htpc alternative since the PS4 sucks in that area but without xbmc... not a fat chance. In that case I'll buy a mini pc instead.
Well I tried Plex since it'll end up on XboxOne and man is it a piece of shit. 12 hours of steady work and I mean work trying to get it to run properly and it's still not working. Please bring XBMC to the XboxOne.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
(2014-04-04, 11:31)Ned Scott Wrote: Because those services are huge and make the xbox a lot more attractive to customers. XBMC might make the xbox more attractive, but on a much much smaller scale. XBMC wouldn't pull in enough people for Microsoft to want to take the risk.

well the issue, even if someone wanted to do it, is will msft allow it? consoles are generally very closed systems. but the selling point would not be xbmc, it would be a more open system. an app store with thousands of apps would make the xbox more attractive to a lot of people. that would be how xbmc would slip in, and of course someone would have to do the actual work.
(2014-05-19, 23:20)CharlieM Wrote: Well I tried Plex since it'll end up on XboxOne and man is it a piece of shit. 12 hours of steady work and I mean work trying to get it to run properly and it's still not working. Please bring XBMC to the XboxOne.

No offense, but I'd have to say the problem lies on your end. The only work I ever had to do with Plex was installing a custom scanner for my anime library, since the files don't follow a standard naming convention. That took about 1-2 hours of research and 15 minutes or less of work. Plex is pretty straight forward. For standard usage, it shouldn't be much different than XBMC. Install Plex. Add your libraries. Let it finish scanning. Start watching. Which part didn't work for you?
Lightbulb 
Let's try bringing our request to Microsoft via User Voice.
Vote now for XBMC on our XBOX One:
XBMC on XBOX. Now that would total the media experience

And wee will see if MS really hears the user voice.
I'd love XBMC on the X1, after all isn't the X1 striving to be the "One" device for everything?
I think the main problem would be the XMBC plugins. Many of them while being functionally cool, suck from the point of quality and performance. My RaspBMC all the time crashes or hangs because of some plugins. Microsoft would not allow this on XBOX One because it would compromise the platform.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One as a host for XBMC2