• 23(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
Mm how am i suppose to get My 100 gb for free, i see i still have 15gb In google drive, anyone?
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
you have to boot into ChromeOS to redeem the offer from the ChromeBox
I did, I logged in already but nada
https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...3646?hl=en
(2014-04-29, 18:06)Matt Devo Wrote: https://support.google.com/chromebook/an...3646?hl=en

Done, thanks a ton. Rep+
I updated to 3.95.7 by sending the target folder items over my lan and everything went smoothly and is working great. On the logitech K400 I found that it will work to boot other options such as USB drives with linux distro under the legacy driver...in which case it is suitable as long as you aren't concerned with ChromeOS (I'm not).

My old puppy linux live SD card did boot and function but the video drivers are problematic. I am trying a different and updated build of Puppy and will report on the success of it for anyone interested. You can get XBMC running under Puppy and with enough ram in the system it is a fast option. I will probably pick up a low profile micro sd adapter so it isn't sticking out of the box so much and run a 32GB UHS1 card with Puppy loading to ram and the home folder saving to SD. This should provide good results if everything works out for a complete and fast dual boot setup.

Of course there isn't a need to run XBMC from Puppy when having Openelec installed on the SSD, but I still want to find out if a proper setup can be attained on top of a complete linux distro.
(2014-04-29, 18:11)jsp1 Wrote: I updated to 3.95.7 by sending the target folder items over my lan and everything went smoothly and is working great. On the logitech K400 I found that it will work to boot other options such as USB drives with linux distro under the legacy driver...in which case it is suitable as long as you aren't concerned with ChromeOS (I'm not).

you can drop the entire .tar.gz archive in the /update folder, no need to extract anything Smile
Matt one more question what would you recommend Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 and 32 or 64 bits. Thanks
(2014-04-29, 18:24)Veronica Wrote: Matt one more question what would you recommend Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 and 32 or 64 bits. Thanks

64-bit, but I haven't used either enough to recommend one over the other. I thought I saw some grumblings about the Intel video driver in 14.04 but don't have first-hand knowledge. My ChromeBox is a dedicated OpenELEC setup so that's where my expertise is
(2014-04-29, 17:44)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 17:37)bkastner Wrote: XBMC RC1 has been released along with OpenELEC-3.95.7 which includes:

•linux: mceusb xhci fix

yup, nice that they were able to get that in there. So now the only difference between my custom build and the official one is the bootloader (syslinux) version

So your build is still required due to the Syslinux issue? I am guessing you have rolled in RC1 as well (or modified the 3.95.7 OE build)?
(2014-04-29, 18:31)bkastner Wrote: So your build is still required due to the Syslinux issue? I am guessing you have rolled in RC1 as well (or modified the 3.95.7 OE build)?

only for the initial install, since that's when the bootloader is installed. After that, the official OE builds can/should be used - just drop the downloaded .tar.gz file in the /update folder via SMB. Updates after that should be automatic. My 3.95.7 build will auto-update now too.
(2014-04-29, 02:11)extension23 Wrote: Is anyone else having issues using the shared mysql library using the openelec 3.95.6 version from the wiki? I see errors in my log that it can't connect to the mysql databases. It is using the same advancedsettings.xml file as my other systems and I can ssh into the chromebox and ping the mysql server, but for some reason it is not connecting.

(2014-04-29, 05:00)bkastner Wrote: The issue is likely due to the MySQL piece kicking in before the network is up properly. I had this issue with the ChromeBox and one of my other devices (it might be the hacked Boxee running XBMC). You need to either setup an autostart.sh, or I think you can configure OpenELEC to not start until the network is up (up to 10 seconds).

The option to create an autostart.sh is found here:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

I ended up creating the autostart.sh on my ChromeBox to fix this. Just nano the file and here are my contents:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.27
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Then reboot, and you should be good to go.

Actually, OpenELEC has a setting to delay XBMC loading until the network is up: Settings->OpenELEC->Network-Advanced Network Settings->Wait for network before starting XBMC
I just finished setting all up but the sound system is very low. Anyone with Ubuntu install ran in the same issue? I went into sound settings and there is only one option I had to click on it to get audio as first I would not get any.
I connected chromebox directly to the TV via HDMI cable (amazon basics brand)
Quote:Actually, OpenELEC has a setting to delay XBMC loading until the network is up: Settings->OpenELEC->Network-Advanced Network Settings->Wait for network before starting XBMC

That did the trick.

It might be worth making a mention of this in the wiki, although it might be that others who use the shared MySQL library know about it.

I would also make the suggestion in section 2.2.1 of the wiki, to mention that if they want the fast boot time without pressing ctrl +L they should follow the steps in 1.7 before installing Openelec. Actually, it is probably fine the way it is, and only needed for short attention span people like myself who skim section 1.7 and don't think about the fact they are going to want that until after they install Openelec. Smile
Thanks for this great work! I got my Box running with dedicated OpenELEC on it. Just like post #200 resp. #205 I was not able to boot after the first installation. So I just did steps 1.3, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.2.1 again. (Without creating a new bootable install stick). And it works like a charm.

Now I have a question. Can an external DAC be used over USB? I am particularly interested in a Schiit Bitfrost or Gungnir ( http://schiit.com/products/gungnir ). Any experiences?

Quick update:

YES, Schiit Gungnir (an external USB DAC) works perfectly with my ASUS Chromebox M004U running standalone OpenELEC. And sounds absolutely amazing!!!
(Hi-Res FLAC --> Chromebox --> USB --> Gungnir --> XLR --> Yamaha A-S2000 --> PS Audio xStream Statement --> KEF 205).

Just plug everything together and select the Schiit audio output in the settings.

Thanks
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8