• 172(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Been running Gotham on FTV for three days now.Following this forum with great interest.I must be really honest and say i'm confused by some peoples posts.With a wireless touchpad and the xbmc android app i've been able to set network locations to my NAS and ServerWMC.This device has played every format I have thrown at it.Granted I don't have Huge Bluray quality files.While not being a purist I approach this box with a modest expectation.It's never going to replace my OpenElec PC as custodian of my entire media library.The only other android device I have used was the XIOS DS.This box knocks it for six.With due respect to the people that have put time into testing - is the FTV that bad and are expectations too high.
(2014-05-14, 19:05)DiamondGeezer Wrote: Been running Gotham on FTV for three days now.Following this forum with great interest.I must be really honest and say i'm confused by some peoples posts.With a wireless touchpad and the xbmc android app i've been able to set network locations to my NAS and ServerWMC.This device has played every format I have thrown at it.Granted I don't have Huge Bluray quality files.While not being a purist I approach this box with a modest expectation.It's never going to replace my OpenElec PC as custodian of my entire media library.The only other android device I have used was the XIOS DS.This box knocks it for six.With due respect to the people that have put time into testing - is the FTV that bad and are expectations too high.

I think that 90% of XBMC users have a library consisting primarily of compressed H.264 based media, and for them this is a great option.
(2014-05-14, 05:02)3rob3 Wrote:
(2014-05-13, 15:05)3rob3 Wrote: From what I understand, an MCE receiver and remote will work while in XBMC. But will it also work in the Fire OS? Can it totally replace the Fire's remote functionality wise (except for power on I suppose)?

Reason I ask is my MCE remote (Microsoft one) has programmable volume +/-, and TV power.
Not trying to be annoying, but also don't want this question to be lost in the endless VC1/MKV repeats. Anyone know?

I have the original Microsoft MCE remote and it doesn't work with arm XBMC as of Gotham. The original has the large receiver. I suspect this is an Amazon problem, since I can't even blink the receiver with a keypress.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-05-14, 19:35)jocala Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 05:02)3rob3 Wrote:
(2014-05-13, 15:05)3rob3 Wrote: From what I understand, an MCE receiver and remote will work while in XBMC. But will it also work in the Fire OS? Can it totally replace the Fire's remote functionality wise (except for power on I suppose)?

Reason I ask is my MCE remote (Microsoft one) has programmable volume +/-, and TV power.
Not trying to be annoying, but also don't want this question to be lost in the endless VC1/MKV repeats. Anyone know?

I have the original Microsoft MCE remote and it doesn't work with arm XBMC as of Gotham. The original has the large receiver. I suspect this is an Amazon problem, since I can't even blink the receiver with a keypress.

First generation MCE remote doesn't work with at all according to the wiki. 2nd generation does.
I wasn't criticizing the device.Actually the complete opposite.
Just confirming that the first generation mce remotes don't think work. I bought the Ortek vrc -1100 which is sold on Amazon for about 14 bucks. It has a much smaller ir receiver which actually fits into my TV setup better. The remote worked well. It has a mouse emulator which I thought was kind of lame but otherwise it's fine. I does work in Netflix and Pandora also.

Actually, I bought the remote but am only using the ir receiver with my Harmony remote.
Re: MCE remotes
Awesome, thanks everyone! I use the second gen MCE remote/receiver with an Openelec box currently and it works great. Was mostly wondering whether it worked in the Fire OS and apps. Sounds like it will.
I have a standard MCE remote/receiver (made by Rosewill) certified for Vista so it should be "second generation" but unfortunately it is not recognized by the Fire TV at all.
(2014-05-13, 01:59)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-05-13, 01:29)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:51)Tinwarble Wrote: Not unless that "different version" has a different signature. 2 versions can't reside on the same device unless they are signed differently.

Wouldn't it by definition have a different signature if the code is anything but identical? Sorry, I'm looking at it from a cryptographic perspective, which might not completely apply here.

No, and I think you're confusing things. It would install to the same "folder structure", just like you can't install different versions of the "official" XBMC apk side by side because they all install to the same folder structure so they would be either a "upgrade" or "downgrade" depending on the version. However, you can install the official XBMC and XBMC for Ouya side by side because they have different signatures.

Also, this has nothing to do with the function or operation of XBMC, so it really should end here since this forum is for XBMC specific issues or discussions.

OK we all know now that you can't launch amazon video from within XBMC, as it is part of fireTV GUI, which is already running.
Is there anyway to make a dummy menu in XBMC to exit back into Amazon interface, without having to navigate to Exit each time. I'd like a AmazonVideo menu point, that does nothing but close XBMC. This makes it easier for my wife to uderstand how to get to AmazonVideo and then use the Dummy Plex action in fireTV to launch XBMC again....

Better would be an option that just puts XBMC in the background until I'd click dummy plex action and it would be in the foreground (w/o reloading all components of XBMC)

And yes, this is relevant to XBMC, because it is running on the FireTV box, hence the thread name "Amazon Fire TV for XBMC" ... It would be nice to just be able to switch between the two more intuitively

Thanks
-AL
@SwiCago
I don't understand the issue. If you are using the FTV remote. You can just press the home button at any time to return to the KFTV launcher.
(2014-05-14, 23:21)dazex Wrote: @SwiCago
I don't understand the issue. If you are using the FTV remote. You can just press the home button at any time to return to the KFTV launcher.

That's what I was thinking, are we missing something??
Long thread, apologize in advance if this has been covered.

I'm using the Complete Bypass Llama profile from the Fire TV XBMC wiki and it works great except.... If I press "Home" 3-4 times in a row Llama stops re-launching XBMC. I can browse around the Fire TV UI and press Home a bunch of times and no XBMC. If I scroll down to System and start browsing through the available launchers, XBMC is launched.

I'd love to wifey proof this thing which means I need reliable bumpers to keep her in XBMC. Any thoughts or tweaks that anyone has discovered? Any better methods than Llama at the moment?

tret
(2014-05-09, 09:54)logan_x50 Wrote: Has anyone else had trouble with getting custom keycaps working? I've followed the wiki and created keyboard.xml (third type from the wiki) and i've used dab to push adb push /Users/Steven/Desktop/keyboard.xml

so i'm pretty sure i've done this correctly. Still re-starting xbmc the new map doesn't take effect (i test by trying menu button during video playback and it does nothing)

any ideas chaps?

Hey Logan, I too was having troubles. There seems there is a glitch with the folder "keymaps" within the userdata dir in Gothem 13.1
You'll need to delete the keymaps folder, then create the "keymaps" folder again, and then push the keyboard.xml file back.

Use to delete folder if it not empty:
adb shell rm -r /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

Use to delete a empty folder:
adb shell rmdir /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

Use to create the folder again:
adb shel mkdir /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

And finally push the keyboard.xml file again:
adb push keyboard.xml /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

Hope it helps you and others!
Cheers
Gotabooboo
(2014-05-14, 18:51)LRa Wrote: Anyone else has xbmc crashing while trying to play a movie?
I have the Gotham 13 final installed and whenever I stream a movie from my pc or router, after a few second, before the movie starts playing, xbmc crushes and goes to he fire tv home.

Any ideas?

P.s. Noticed that some files do work, but it takes forever to load(700mb) and keeps buffering.

Sounds like possible network issues. I haven't had an issue, and no buffer underruns here.

(2014-05-14, 22:01)SwiCago Wrote: OK we all know now that you can't launch amazon video from within XBMC, as it is part of fireTV GUI, which is already running.
Is there anyway to make a dummy menu in XBMC to exit back into Amazon interface, without having to navigate to Exit each time. I'd like a AmazonVideo menu point, that does nothing but close XBMC. This makes it easier for my wife to uderstand how to get to AmazonVideo and then use the Dummy Plex action in fireTV to launch XBMC again....

Better would be an option that just puts XBMC in the background until I'd click dummy plex action and it would be in the foreground (w/o reloading all components of XBMC)

And yes, this is relevant to XBMC, because it is running on the FireTV box, hence the thread name "Amazon Fire TV for XBMC" ... It would be nice to just be able to switch between the two more intuitively

Thanks
-AL
Just hit the Home button on the remote. Or create a shortcut to launch the FTV Launcher. Android will just suspend XBMC until you open it again.
(2014-05-15, 00:19)elmerohueso Wrote: [quote='LRa' pid='1709756' dateline='1400086264']
Anyone else has xbmc crashing while trying to play a movie?
I have the Gotham 13 final installed and whenever I stream a movie from my pc or router, after a few second, before the movie starts playing, xbmc crushes and goes to he fire tv home.

Any ideas?

P.s. Noticed that some files do work, but it takes forever to load(700mb) and keeps buffering.

Sounds like possible network issues. I haven't had an issue, and no buffer underruns here.

Could it be a router problem?
  • 172(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10