• 20(current)
Bay Trail-D motherboards
(2014-05-14, 11:55)-DDD- Wrote: You can mostly reduce the TDP of the Celeron in BIOS to a fewer TDP, its the same with T CPUs, they are with a reduced TDP forever, with an normal HSW CPU you can choice yourself in BIOS
whether you want Perfomance or a low TDP (which only reduce your max W, not the idle W)
That is true, however, I'm wondering what benchmark score would the celeron be able to achieve if you forced it to use 10W max compared to the J1900 2052 at 10W TDP.
(2014-05-14, 11:55)-DDD- Wrote: You can mostly reduce the TDP of the Celeron in BIOS to a fewer TDP, its the same with T CPUs, they are with a reduced TDP forever, with an normal HSW CPU you can choice yourself in BIOS
whether you want Perfomance or a low TDP (which only reduce your max W, not the idle W)
Now, ok that's a very good piece of information I didn't know about. Thank you for the tip. If you can reduce a T haswell CPU to 10W max tdp, then, I guess you can make it work fanless. Then, a performance comparison with a Bay trail will make sense. (And I would be very interested in seeing such numbers)

But, since bay trail is supposed to be optimised for this tdp, one would believe it more powerfull that a heavily-downpowered haswell, don't you think ?

Also for the GPU, what is the point of having more execution units if they are severly limited in use?
No, you don't need a T CPU for it, you can downgrade every CPU in your BIOS, when it (BIOS) gives you these Settings. A "T-CPU" would be a Baytrail, cause it is fix-limited at the CPU Side to the lower TDP and you can't increase it, like with the normal HSW CPUs and Baytrail.

When Fanless is your Primary Object, a Baytrail or Haswell T CPU maybe is ok, but then, there are also
Fanless Cases for the bigger TDPs like: http://geizhals.de/streacom-fc8b-evo-sch...19177.html

I don't know how a 10W TDP Baytrail would compare to a 10W TDP HSW, but i know that i can live better with a more powerful
CPU with Reserves for Yadif, Lanczos3 and Future improvements, than to buy a Downsized Baytrail CPU which is already now
not powerful enough to display the Best Picture Quality with Yadif and Lanczos3.
| myHTPC |
(2014-05-14, 20:04)-DDD- Wrote: No, you don't need a T CPU for it, you can downgrade every CPU in your BIOS, when it (BIOS) gives you these Settings. A "T-CPU" would be a Baytrail, cause it is fix-limited at the CPU Side to the lower TDP and you can't increase it, like with the normal HSW CPUs and Baytrail.

When Fanless is your Primary Object, a Baytrail or Haswell T CPU maybe is ok, but then, there are also
Fanless Cases for the bigger TDPs like: http://geizhals.de/streacom-fc8b-evo-sch...19177.html

I don't know how a 10W TDP Baytrail would compare to a 10W TDP HSW, but i know that i can live better with a more powerful
CPU with Reserves for Yadif, Lanczos3 and Future improvements, than to buy a Downsized Baytrail CPU which is already now
not powerful enough to display the Best Picture Quality with Yadif and Lanczos3.
Everyone has its own preferences Smile The reason why I chose a Baytrail was because in the end it is still cheaper and has more than enough power for my needs. On top of it it does not require any specific investment such as special case or secondary heatsinks to make it fanless. If a need arises for the Yadif/Lanczos3 I can always buy a Nvidia 610GT for ~30$ (or soon - 710GT) and pop it into the PCI-E slot which will give me all the needed GPU processing power. Even with the extra GPU the build would cost less than a fanless Haswell solution.
And the GT610 produce extra Costs, Heat and Watts, and i don't think you can run a passive GT610 within a passive Case, so you loose
your Fanless Setup.
Yes, Baytrail is Cheaper when you want to run it passive and don't need the PQ.
| myHTPC |
(2014-05-14, 20:42)-DDD- Wrote: And the GT610 produce extra Costs, Heat and Watts, and i don't think you can run a passive GT610 within a passive Case, so you loose
your Fanless Setup.
Yes, Baytrail is Cheaper when you want to run it passive and don't need the PQ.
You have a point there. I wonder how actually hot is the GT610. The GPU itself comes with passive heatsinks but combine that with passive CPU and there might be some heat issues, indeed. Any users who have Bay-Trail and a GT610 here?
You cannot really cool a GT610 without any airflow. It will overheat. I tried that once in a small case Streacom F7C and that did not work out at all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-14, 22:46)fritsch Wrote: You cannot really cool a GT610 without any airflow. It will overheat. I tried that once in a small case Streacom F7C and that did not work out at all.
Thanks for the feedback! What temperatures are we talking here?
IMHO, a Celeron G1820, H81 motherboard and PCIe x16 video card would be a better value than a $50+ PCIe x1 video card with a J1900 motherboard.
What Benefit would a PCIe x16 Card have for an HTPC compared to the Celeron G1820, except BR 3D, when you don't want
to play Games on your HTPC?
| myHTPC |
These things always make me think that everyone else does way more interesting things with their HTPC's than I do.

I mean, my J1800 system plays everything I throw at it just fine. No 3D, mind you.
(2014-05-14, 20:42)-DDD- Wrote: Yes, Baytrail is Cheaper when you want to run it passive and don't need the PQ.
That's my case so I'm happy with that.
Also, reusing my existing case (a 2009 Gigabyte MIB T5140) was a requirement, so no added heatsinks and whatnot.

Your solution is probably better long term however as you can just improve a little heat dissipation and increase TDP to follow your usage patterns.

I'll see with broadwell next year.

Ideally I would have liked one of those Y or U haswell CPU soldered to a Mini-itx board. But availability and price for those are severe issues here.
What do you expect of an Y or U Haswell CPU?
| myHTPC |
(2014-05-15, 09:59)-DDD- Wrote: What do you expect of an Y or U Haswell CPU?

I expected a still passive but more powerfull system. But that was before knowing I could just limit any haswell to any TDP I wished. What seemed like a fantastic idea then now seems useless Smile
(2014-05-15, 06:13)-DDD- Wrote: What Benefit would a PCIe x16 Card have for an HTPC compared to the Celeron G1820, except BR 3D, when you don't want
to play Games on your HTPC?

It's more of a value, bang-for-your-buck thing IMHO. You can find x16 GT610 or HD5450 cards on sale for $20. Why spend $50+ on a x1 GT610 just to conform to the x1 slot on the J1800/J1900 board? IMHO, use the integrated GPU of the J1800/J1900 or take the $30 difference between an x1 and x16 card and get something else like the cheapest Celeron CPU + motherboard.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail-D motherboards8