GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings
Thanks for that update. I did mine on a lower version of Ubuntu, and I didn't leave it running long enough to test the Cron job, so I'm sure you're right.

I assume that the part that is critical that is missing is the change directory command....

One more thing: How did you get ESXi to recognize the 2250? I also have a 2250, but my ESXi would not pass it through to the VMs, which is why I switched to a network tuner...

I've revised the guide to include your fix on the cron job!

(2014-02-25, 02:02)mathgeek97 Wrote: I have to compliment you on a wonderful guide, it saved me from hours of frustration.
I would like to see the section, below, edited with regards to the cron job. I had to use the following script to get mine working (under an Ubuntu 12.04LTS VM using ESXi 5.5 as the hypervisor).

#!/bin/sh
# Update Program Guide Information Daily
cd /home/hts/mc2xml
/home/hts/mc2xml/mc2xml

(2014-01-07, 07:20)advocate99 Wrote: . Set up Cron Job to download updated guide data daily

sudo nano /etc/cron.daily/mc2xml

type the following:

# Update Program Guide Information Daily
/home/hts/mc2xml/mc2xml

CTRL-X, Y to save and exit

sudo chmod +x /etc/cron.daily/mc2xml

I'd also like to note that I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 card passed to the Ubuntu VM to receive ATSC OTA broadcasts in the USA, and that works quite nicely with the setup you describe in your guide.
demslam,

Will the words "linux-kernel-3.8" and "linux-headers-3.8.0-35" change for future versions of Ubuntu 12.04.3, or will these versions stay constant in the future?

(2014-02-24, 11:16)demslam Wrote: You may need the headers, i know Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't seem to come with them

Try the below
Code:
cd ~
mkdir tmp_kernel
cd tmp_kernel
git clone https://github.com/charsyam/linux-kernel-3.8/
sudo cp -R linux-kernel-3.8/drivers/media/dvb-core/* /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-35/drivers/media/dvb-core/
sudo cp -R linux-kernel-3.8/drivers/media/dvb-frontends/* /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-35/drivers/media/dvb-frontends/
sudo dpkg-reconfigure dvbhdhomerun-dkms

best of luck, i am struggling to get the channels to decode properly...
(2014-02-25, 02:05)advocate99 Wrote:
One more thing: How did you get ESXi to recognize the 2250? I also have a 2250, but my ESXi would not pass it through to the VMs, which is why I switched to a network tuner...

I had no issues passing the card. In fact, the Ubuntu VM that I'm using already existed and runs some other stuff, too. All I did was shut down the VM, edit the machine configuration for the VM in the vSphere client, and found the card ready to be passed to it.
Have you been able to passthrough other hardware? Is "Intel Virtualization Technology" enabled? Is VT-d enabled? Are all of the usual virtualization options supported by both the chipset and bios?
Apparently, my machine does not support DirectPath I/O. "Host does not support passthrough configuration" I haven't check the BIOS to see if I can enable that...
Guys, I have a question. I am using an HDhomerun to allow my other TV's to watch Live TV via my network. My main HTPC is running XBMC 13 and also a linux kernel of 3.0+. My other TV's will have an android box (Xios Pivos or similar). My question is, would the Ubuntu setup that you require in your setup have to be installed on the HDhomerun or on a linux box? If its a Linux box, I am thinking I won't be able to pull it off being that my HTPC is running XBMC 13.0 and Linux kernel 3+. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help.
The guide that I wrote assumes that you'll be installing HTS TVHeadend on a Linux box. It doesn't get installed on the HDHomeRun's themselves. I don't know whether the instructions that I wrote will work on your application. I only know for sure that it works on the version of Ubuntu that I referenced in the guide.
Thank you very much for the guide. It helped immensely in setting up TVHeadend for this noob.

Could I suggest one addition to the guide, though, for people using Schedules Direct? I could not get TVHeadend to recognize where EPG grab data was sent when using sudo as root user (because I was too lazy to look for it and didn't move it).

I think the easiest option is to sign in as the hts user -- which is what TVHeadend expects for Schedules Direct data.

so,

sudo su hts
/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --configure

worked perfectly for me. If it saves anyone else a headache I guess it was worth mentioning.
Thanks for that information. I never tried schedules direct, so I wasn't able to confirm the information provided. Can you advise where, in the guide I wrote, I should add your suggested information?
Looks great where you put it.

But you need to remove sudo from this line: sudo /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --configure so that the hts user carries out the command

Again, thank you for all your hard work.
Okay, I've updated it.

Have they fixed the "Map DVB Services to Channels" button yet??
Not when I tried it. It looks like they are working on it, though. I've seen a few posts trying to compile the newest versions to make that function available for ATSC.

I had to map all the channels manually. It was a pain, but now that it all works it was worth it. I really like the channel tag feature. By ticking the backend group feature and unticking the 'use backend channel numbers' I put the 42 channels I can see into groups and also put them in numerical order with the channel manager in XBMC. I haven't tested to see if the channel order survives a reboot, but the channel groupings do.

I was purely Windows-based before and using Windows Server pvr. I like TVHeadend much better. The rapid channel change is very welcome. And Xubuntu is fun to play with.

EDIT:
And, by the way, I have it running on Xubuntu 13.10 with no problems -- just used the precise pangolin version since from what I can tell the saucy dvbhdhomerun-utils version does not appear to be stable yet.
Thanks for the guide. I am 90% up and running under 14.04. My question as follows:

In the DVB adapter settings, I have both cards of the homerun showing, xxxxxx-0 and xxxxxx-1. I did the setup for services on channels for 0. DO I need to do it again for 1?
I don't remember. I'd set one up and then check the other to see if it's already set up. If you find an answer, please post back here so that others can benefit from you work.

(2014-06-13, 14:10)mr_raider Wrote: Thanks for the guide. I am 90% up and running under 14.04. My question as follows:

In the DVB adapter settings, I have both cards of the homerun showing, xxxxxx-0 and xxxxxx-1. I did the setup for services on channels for 0. DO I need to do it again for 1?
I welcome comments and suggestions for the Kodi (XBMC) Set-up Guide that I wrote.
You can read it here:  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193310
(2014-06-13, 14:10)mr_raider Wrote: Thanks for the guide. I am 90% up and running under 14.04. My question as follows:

Not needed, provided it's enabled in the tree will be used automatically.
(2014-06-14, 02:30)robo989 Wrote:

Not needed, provided it's enabled in the tree will be used automatically.

In other words, once the channels are named and mapped to EPG for one tuner, the program will dynamically choose between the two tuners at recording time?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings2