Rewind bug?
here is a fix https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...32b4249a93 It fixes wrong speed but there is still some room for improvement in finding the recovery points of the encoded stream.

btw: rewind is not really considered an important function. Since decoding only works forward there is actually no real rewind. It seeks back, decodes some frame forward to get a picture, seek back, and so on. Most users just use small/big step back/forward.
(2014-06-28, 19:02)FernetMenta Wrote: here is a fix https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...32b4249a93 It fixes wrong speed but there is still some room for improvement in finding the recovery points of the encoded stream.

btw: rewind is not really considered an important function. Since decoding only works forward there is actually no real rewind. It seeks back, decodes some frame forward to get a picture, seek back, and so on. Most users just use small/big step back/forward.

Haha, not important? compare to what? releasing XBMC on 10 diffrent platforms? Rewind is really a basic and standard function that should always be there no mather the technical problem.

How would people react if for example Panasonic starts to remove there rewind button on all there DVD, Bluray players and video cameras? What will the reaction be? Not a important function? Will that do?

Wounder what users would say if the rewind would be removed entirely from XBMC? Would it not be missed? Yes its hard to miss a function that works as bad as this but if it would work perfect(like on blu-ray and dvd players) and then remove it?

YES I know that XBMC is not commercial but it would be like doing a super mario indie clone and leave out the back button becouse of technical problems.

Why I need it? If it's not obvious, I often miss things and needs to rewind to see it again, a slow back rewind is the worth a lot.

I hope thay get aound to fix this basic feature.
Eh? Rewind does work on XBMC. The only thing not working is the speed in relation to what is displayed on the screen. It's slightly harder to fine tune the rewind speed, whoopty freakin' do. Even when the rewind speed was accurately reported, a lot of us never touched it because the back/forward steps are so much more convenient. There's about five or six different ways that XBMC can jump/seek in a video, while on most of your examples people only know how to do chapters and FF/RW. While everyone has their own preferred ways to seek through videos, a good majority (from best we can tell) prefer to avoid FF/RW seeking and just use time-based jumps. People aren't using Rewind because it doesn't work, they're not using it because it's faster and easier to step or go to a specific time in playback.

Does Netflix or Youtube have traditional rewind buttons? Nope. Even on set-top-boxes they don't. People use jumps or the scrub bar instead. Because it's better.

Between StepBack (-30 seconds) and SmallStepBack (-7 seconds), I've never needed to use rewind, and I miss things all the time as well.

But hey, what do I know. Maybe you should keep insulting the one guy who fixed the issue so he's less motivated to get the fix applied to master.
(2014-07-10, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Eh? Rewind does work on XBMC. The only thing not working is the speed in relation to what is displayed on the screen.

Okay? When hitting rewind one time it will rewind in SUPER speed, I would not call that working. There is simple now way to use it as it is today.

(2014-07-10, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Even when the rewind speed was accurately reported, a lot of us never touched it because the back/forward steps are so much more convenient.

How do you know? I have never seen any user statistics at all. I have been under the impression how XBMC will be developed depends on what the dev and there friends think is right, not what the users need.

Why is this thread even existing if users did now want to use it?

(2014-07-10, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: There's about five or six different ways that XBMC can jump/seek in a video, while on most of your examples people only know how to do chapters and FF/RW.

Okay? so what you are saying is that we need to read the manual to be able to RW properly?

(2014-07-10, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Does Netflix or Youtube have traditional rewind buttons? Nope. Even on set-top-boxes they don't.

Do you really compare XBMC with simple streaming players? XBMC is highly advanced playback software. It is known for its flexibility, it can change the entire skin, it can compensate sound and subtitles, it can search and download subtitles, it can show trailers and video information, it can fetch video data from different servers and so on and so on. BUT working rewind is to much for XBMC?

(2014-07-10, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Between StepBack (-30 seconds) and SmallStepBack (-7 seconds), I've never needed to use rewind, and I miss things all the time as well.

All remotes as I seen have FF/RW, NEXT, PREV, so what you are saying is that I should bound smallStepBack to RW and StepBack to Prev? Is that logical?

(2014-07-10, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: But hey, what do I know. Maybe you should keep insulting the one guy who fixed the issue so he's less motivated to get the fix applied to master.

Insulting? Im just amazed that RW is considered to be a low priority? Compare to what? all the other movie controls work as far as I know? I understand that it is a bit more complexed and will probably demand a bit more hardware to do the rewind but it should be far from impossible. But hey, what do I know, Im no XBMC dev, Im just a user(advanced).

Why are you insulted when I ask why the fuction is not working? And why it is considering to be low priority? I have heard this before, its like the developers can´t handle when users asks for something boring/complexed to fix/dev.

If you fix it, you will be my hero.
I understand your viewpoint, and I'm not saying that RW isn't important, but I am trying to explain that, realistically, from our standpoint, it's not a high priority. You see, every day when I wake up I have a whole bunch of things I want to do, but I can't do all of them because there's only 24 hours in the day. Worse, I have to feed and clothe myself, so a good chunk of my time is used up right there. I have to pick and choose what I think is best to work on, and yes, it's highly effected by what I wish to work on. And I'm not even a dev.

You ranting like this is insulting. You're acting as if FernetMenta is retarded and has never understood the basics of how video playback works. You responded to him as if he was a child. What. In reality someone should just tell you "fuck you", ban you, and move on. No one is insulted because you asked why the function is not working. They are insulted because you asked it in the most dickish way possible, and when we tried to humor you and explain the situation and why it got that way, you continued to act like a dick. This guy has fixed the issue and he can get the fix added for everyone, even though it doesn't affect him, and you think it's smart to treat him like a child? This is how you ask for favors?

As for your other responses, I don't know if you're trolling or just dense, but you've used up all of my patience.
Hey,

looks like https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...32b4249a93 hasn't made it to master yet. ;-) Any ETA when this could happen?

Thx
Diddle.
@diddle if you read that patch you will see that the eta answer is already given Smile
That was a reminder only. Most likely he thinks offof a less intrusive way with even LEDs less boolean magic :-) ... Dann mobile phone.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Indeed this was a reminder... just tried to be as unobtrusive as possible. Assuming that a suboptimal (but ready) fix would be better that nothing. And rewinding currently does not actually do what an average user would expect. ;-)

Diddle.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rewind bug?1