• 12(current)
CuBox-i a new possibility?
Eh... wording... I just picked the word from someone else. I am not a pro,so what would be the right word? Clipping, cropping? Let me know, so I can express like I should in the future.

Thanks
It looks like SolidRun starting to sell the HummingBoard(s).
Prices of a baseboard + microSoM combo aren't far or the same as the Cubox-i models (well, I'm 10 minutes away from SolidRun so no extra costs).

http://www.solid-run.com/
Can we find an issue list with cubox-i (HummingBoard)?
Or there isn't any bug and everything works fine? :-D
I'm still afraid of buying arm gadgets for xmbc....
Thanks a lot
I have had an opportunity to test Cubox-i my friend bought for XBMC purposes.
What I can say is that it is beaty and powerfull piece of hardware which could have great impact on hardware market and has a lot of potention to be the "killer" device for XBMC purposes.

But... there is always a but. Sad

The problem is that in Openelec and Geexbox this just doesnt work right as far picture quality (PQ) is in question.
The output produces "crushed blacks", thus rendering PQ not watchable and like crap.
The same problem had drivers for linux on Intel NUC (in particular on Intel HD graphics cards)... for more you can search on XBMC forum under NUC Haswell thread (look for posts from user called Imyllari).
The problem is that Cuboxi doesnt tell the TV set at which color range the picture will come.

The second problem is (this is minor, but nevertheless), that bitstreaming doesnt pass TrueHD and DTS-MA.

At this time, until this is resolved, I would say that you dont go Cuboxi road for XBMC purposes.... which is a shame.
I would suggest to SolidRun, that they start communicating with Openelec (for example user fritch, who resolved the problem on NUC with a help from user Imyllari) and resolve this problem ASAP, or they will lose marketshare everyday.

I would be really happy if they resolve this situation ASAP.
If this is resolved, then this is THE XBMC hardware sollution. If so, the choose model Cubox-i2eX or higher.
I'm sad about it but I thought...
Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed answer, Crssi!
Presumably this means that the Cubox is using full range RGB 4:4:4 (i.e. 0-255) output rather than Limited range (16-235). If you can configure your TV for 0-255 (or if you use a DVI monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable) you are OK level-wise?
I could confugure some TV for 0-255, but then it doesnt work when using other sources (which BTW are working as they should). And some TVs cannot be set to use 0-255, but they work if source tells them how to do it right.
My connection is all sources to AVR over HDMI, and the AVR to TV over HDMI.

So, the problem still persist and should be solved correctly.
(2014-07-02, 10:13)Crssi Wrote: I could confugure some TV for 0-255, but then it doesnt work when using other sources (which BTW are working as they should). And some TVs cannot be set to use 0-255, but they work if source tells them how to do it right.
My connection is all sources to AVR over HDMI, and the AVR to TV over HDMI.

So, the problem still persist and should be solved correctly.

Yes - totally agree. Just suggesting it as a solution to people who already have a Cubox-i and want to watch. (Does the "Use 16-235 levels" option appear in Cubox-i XBMC builds in Expert settings?)
I was looking also for "Use 16-235 levels" in Expert settings and I couldnt find it, so I guess it does not appear.
There is a thread in the solidrun forums about getting 16-235 supported eventually but at this time it isn't (edit: newer kernel has support but doesn't look like it had made it into Solidrun distros yet). AVR's complicate things as even if the TV has an auto level for HDMI the AVR can mess that up or even if it works right other devices dont obey the auto setting correctly.

I took mine out of my AVR and put it direct into the TV, works great from there with auto setting for HDMI levels and HDMI-CEC.

HD audio bit-streaming is also something in development but is not advertised as supported.

Software state is still alpha but steadily improving, it's not a platform for those who want everything working out of the box yet but it has a lot of promise for it's price point.
(2014-07-02, 11:23)Crssi Wrote: I was looking also for "Use 16-235 levels" in Expert settings and I couldnt find it, so I guess it does not appear.
As far as I can tell by just looking at the code, 16-235 should work with GLES too - it's just not enabled.

I don't have the hardware or build environment, but something like this might do the trick: http://pastebin.com/4pdXuKwX

The YUV2RGB shader should find the setting and calculate the transformation accordingly.

edit: assuming it uses or can use GLSL
Thank you Imyllari. The problem is that I am not a programmer (just occasional scripter) and I dont really know what I can do with it (feeling a bit stupid now Sad). Wink
So, are we waiting for an update of Cubox or an update in OpenElec?

It has been a long time since this thread was active... I really want this box to be the ultimate XBMC HTPC Smile What is the best alternative hardware right now or in the near future? I'm on the old ATV2 and it is slowly dying in regard to performance and support...
The Real Skimshady
I think a lot of users are waiting for the "Perfect" jack of all trades Media Box.

Personally I would get the cheapest capable HDMI stick that runs XBMC acceptably now and then upgrade when another cheap as chips device that decodes H265 in hardware arrives in 2015, likely supporting 4K as well. You will not loose much money upgrading then. Tech moves too fast to spend a fortune.

Otherwise wait for Firmware that sorts out reliable, perfect, on the fly 24p playback for a wide variety of Android devices available.

Cheap and capable at the moment = a $25 Amazon Fire TV Stick.

Also an cheap Overclocked RPi connected via Ethernet is a great performer.

(2014-11-25, 12:40)skimshady Wrote: So, are we waiting for an update of Cubox or an update in OpenElec?

It has been a long time since this thread was active... I really want this box to be the ultimate XBMC HTPC Smile What is the best alternative hardware right now or in the near future? I'm on the old ATV2 and it is slowly dying in regard to performance and support...

Get Vero (http://getvero.tv/) is launching today by Sam Nazarako, the developer of Raspbmc, CrystalUbuntu and now OSMC. Will be using same housing as the Cubox-i but will have much better support. You should check it out (I think it goes live at 12 BST).
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CuBox-i a new possibility?5