• 10(current)
Req native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option
i would love this feature too!!
Yes, please make this happen!
Lots of people are using receivers with better quality scalers than would be ever possible with simple XBMC devices like the Pi and the Cubox-i.
It would really make sense to implement an option to output video at the source material resolution.
I mean, there's also the Playback option to set the output frequency to the same refresh rate as the source material (50Hz, 60Hz, 24Hz etc.) so why not make the same setting for resolution?
System/Settings/Video/Playback/Adjust output resolution to match video
+1

Would be great...

A few additions to the feature request:

Resolution:
- GUI-Resolution can be set independantly from video playback resolution.
- Allow for a detailed setup of which resolutions to be scaled to GUI-Resolution and which ones to be passed-through.
- Example: GUI-Resolution: 1080p, playback of 720p videos is not scaled using internal scalers to 1080p but passed-through as to allow TV/Amp to do scaling; however, SD-Material should be scaled by internal scalers.
- Example: GUI-Resolution: 1080p, but UHD is passed-through untouched.
- Example: GUI-Resolution: UHD, but 1080p/720p is passed-through untouched.
Nevermind this post. It was a reply to a previous post that was deleted the moment I submitted it.
Sorry if this is a noob question.
All I want is the native video resolution and frame rate of any given content.
I use an external Lumagen video processor for scaling.
Currently I have it set to pass through 1080p 60 or 24.
24 frames is really what I'm after.
Trouble is if I fix the output in XBMC to 24 1080i content looks awful.
Is there away to easily switch this on the fly or use an external player?
I think an automatic switching to the native resolution of a video file will become an important feature in the near future.

For example, if you have a mixture of 4k and 2k videos, you do not want to switch resolution manually all the time.

(2014-05-03, 09:29)Onbekend Wrote: +1

Would be great...

A few additions to the feature request:

Resolution:
- GUI-Resolution can be set independantly from video playback resolution.
- Allow for a detailed setup of which resolutions to be scaled to GUI-Resolution and which ones to be passed-through.
- Example: GUI-Resolution: 1080p, playback of 720p videos is not scaled using internal scalers to 1080p but passed-through as to allow TV/Amp to do scaling; however, SD-Material should be scaled by internal scalers.
- Example: GUI-Resolution: 1080p, but UHD is passed-through untouched.
- Example: GUI-Resolution: UHD, but 1080p/720p is passed-through untouched.

+1
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
... is there a chance that this feature will be implemented in 'Helix' ?
Unlikely
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That's a pity.

An alternative for me would be to permanently run XBMC in UHD mode. However, upscaling of 50i and 60i does not work then, since my little intel nuc can do uhd only at 30p max.

So I have to switch between hd and uhd resolution manually all the time.

Maybe I can map a resolution switch to a remote button? I'm using openelec.
You can switch the resolution from the official xbmc remote on ios nowadays iirc.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for this info. I tested this, and changing resolution via the ios app works well.

However, I'm not a friend of using ios or android devices as xbmc remote controls. For me this simply doesn't feel comfortable.

I'm a friend of old fashioned remote controls. Hence, my new question: Is it possible to map this resolution switch command to a button of my remote control (currently I'm using the big white xbox remote)?

My feeling tells me that this basically should be easy to do (with an already existing addon?). Maybe someone can help / assist me with that.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing it, as my python-fu is very weak, but it is possible to make a small python .py script file that contains the command and then map a normal remote button to run the script.
I really don't understand "native resolution output" is not added to XBMC.
XMBC on Raspberry Pi offers horrible upscaling capabilities for DVD and when you own good external scalers, letting XMBC upscale your SD content is a non sense.

Would it be possible to map resolution change (toggle) to a key of my remote control ? For example, I would just have to press a key to switch XMBC's resolution from 1080p to 576p and vice versa.

Any help or other ideas will be appreciated.

Many thanks
(2014-07-14, 00:03)vanquishV12 Wrote: XMBC on Raspberry Pi offers horrible upscaling capabilities for DVD and when you own good external scalers, letting XMBC upscale your SD content is a non sense.

The Pi (using omxplayer) has the best scaling quality of any ARM platform, and is on a par with the best PC scaling.

dvdplayer behaves like other ARM platforms (using GL and bilinear scaling).

Install raspian and run omxplayer.
That supports *native* scaling (i.e.with the "-r" option it will choose the closest resolution and refresh).
You can then compare the Pi's internal scaling with your TV's scaling. I would be surprised if you can see much difference.
(2014-07-14, 00:03)vanquishV12 Wrote: I really don't understand "native resolution output" is not added to XBMC.

+1

Please add this feature to XBMC 'Helix'. I have quite a lot of 4k videos now, and the permanent manual 4k / 2k switching is a pain.

Should I post this request somewhere else? Would this make an implementation more likely?

I would immediately donate 50€ if this is implemented.

Chris
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option9