• 45(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Are you sure you downloaded it correctly? The file ran for me just fine. Be sure to use the RAW file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robweb...lib/vfs.py
(2014-06-03, 22:49)robweber Wrote: Are you sure you downloaded it correctly? The file ran for me just fine. Be sure to use the RAW file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robweb...lib/vfs.py

Thank you Rob,

It did the trick, its backing up right now..
Hello robweber,
I have also problem with the XBMC Backup. Unfortunately, I am not so skilled, so I do not know where to take the error log which I could provide you to identify the problem.
I am running XBMC 13 Gotham on Windows 7 64bit, using skin Transparency and I installed your script in the intention to backup.
However, all the time I run the add-on and chose "Backup", then I receive an error message "Script error: XBMC Backup" in the progress bar.
I had set up the backup to the local HDD with all the files selections, except the Custom directory.

Could you help me, please?
Originally I posted how my fresh start and restore didn't restore correctly on my Gbox. Addons and repos were missing or empty.
Here is what I did when I got it to work correctly.

On current version of XBMC, click on the Fresh Start addon.
When finished, Done will show up on screen. Click Home button on remote (If using a Gbox).
When Home, shut down device.
Turn on device and start up XBMC.
When on XBMC home screen, look into programs, download XBMC Backup.
Set it to restore both addons and addon data, as well as where the backup files are located.
When finished click on the addon and select restore, on latest file date.
When it is finished loading and setting up, exit from XBMC, head to the home screen, and shut down the device.
Restart and start loading the add ons!
I have made backup on windows 8.1 and then restore to openelec (both Helix with AeonNox 5.5).
Smart Playlists, Sources are OK.

But menu and other settings are not recovered.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any suggestions/sollution

EDIT:
Havent read the first post carefully.
I have copied guisettings.xml manually and then powercycled comp (pulling cord out and back in).
Will do as instructions say and report back today or tommorow.
Hi ROB,

really appreciate your effort.

I am using a Android set-box with ARM framework. I tried your app. but not fulfilled my need.

What I want is to restore my interface language with selected skin. also the bookmarks and favorite servers listed to above VIDEO/MUSIC/etc.

If it could also list my recent played movie/music, then it will be perfect.

Sorry, my newbie question. Thanks. .
Kodi 20.4(Nexus) / FireTV 4K
I am not sure if the backup is XML based, but without putting names out google XML backup. Try apps you would normally use to backup your phone or tablet.
I'm sorry, feeling a little superstitious, have to double post, the last was 666!
Sorry for the delay on all this everyone. Did a repo pull request today with some new updates.

(2014-06-08, 02:56)DJLonely Wrote: Hello robweber,
I have also problem with the XBMC Backup. Unfortunately, I am not so skilled, so I do not know where to take the error log which I could provide you to identify the problem.
I am running XBMC 13 Gotham on Windows 7 64bit, using skin Transparency and I installed your script in the intention to backup.
However, all the time I run the add-on and chose "Backup", then I receive an error message "Script error: XBMC Backup" in the progress bar.
I had set up the backup to the local HDD with all the files selections, except the Custom directory.

Could you help me, please?

Sounds like you just didn't setup the addon correctly. The path needs to be writeable by the xbmc process. Would need to see a debug log to give any further information.

(2014-06-13, 18:26)stein Wrote: Hi ROB,

really appreciate your effort.

I am using a Android set-box with ARM framework. I tried your app. but not fulfilled my need.

What I want is to restore my interface language with selected skin. also the bookmarks and favorite servers listed to above VIDEO/MUSIC/etc.

If it could also list my recent played movie/music, then it will be perfect.

Sorry, my newbie question. Thanks. .

If you backup the database and configuration files this should all be doable. Please note that you may have to manually copy your guisettings.xml file (see first post about this) in order to get your language preferences and skin settings to work right.
Great program, this addon saved me a couple of times.

I keep XBMC in suspend mode when not in use. I have a cron on my home NAS that does a WOL just before XBMC Backup is scheduled to run. After the backup is complete the only option in XBMC Backup is to shutdown, which I don't want to do. I'm running OpenELEC, so I created a cron entry in OpenELEC to put the system in suspend mode. I do this 15 minutes after the backup is scheduled to run, which should be plenty of time for the backup to complete.

Could XBMC Backup be updated to allow the system to suspend after the backup has finished?
Hello again! I was restoring my gbox the other day to fix one of my addons. The restore did not fix the issue, and now I am wondering if one of my settings is the culprit, or a repository that is causing the issue. I am curious is there a simple fix, like removing some of the files that I believe might be the issue, or is it more complicated than that?
Thanks in advance!
Curious if I'm understanding how this works correct. I upgraded my computer to windows 8.1 so wanted to do a fresh install. I used the back up on github for the Gotham version. It made a back up everything it looked like. I then got to point I wanted to restore. Is this supposed to make the machine look just before? Or does it not change the skin and re add all the sources? Cause if so it didn't do it first time last night and haven't had chance to try again yet. Thanks.

Edit: went in and manually copied and replaced all the information from the back up into correct folders and seemed to do the trick. Sources are all added back and skin is set just got dig into settings. I could tell it didn't copy all because file sizes were different. Was running backup to and from NAS.
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
(2014-07-10, 23:05)YellowDog Wrote: Great program, this addon saved me a couple of times.

I keep XBMC in suspend mode when not in use. I have a cron on my home NAS that does a WOL just before XBMC Backup is scheduled to run. After the backup is complete the only option in XBMC Backup is to shutdown, which I don't want to do. I'm running OpenELEC, so I created a cron entry in OpenELEC to put the system in suspend mode. I do this 15 minutes after the backup is scheduled to run, which should be plenty of time for the backup to complete.

Could XBMC Backup be updated to allow the system to suspend after the backup has finished?

Right now the "Shutdown on Complete" function is called the built in Shutdown() function of xbmc. According to the wiki this function will call whatever the default shutdown action, as defined in System Settings is. So in theory you should just be able to adjust this value in XBMC to "suspend" rather than "shutdown" and the addon will execute the correct behavior. I believe the right place is in System Settings -> Power Saving -> Shutdown Function

(2014-07-11, 01:18)startreksuite Wrote: Hello again! I was restoring my gbox the other day to fix one of my addons. The restore did not fix the issue, and now I am wondering if one of my settings is the culprit, or a repository that is causing the issue. I am curious is there a simple fix, like removing some of the files that I believe might be the issue, or is it more complicated than that?
Thanks in advance!

I would disable any service addons (one at a time) until you can figure out the problem. A restore will just put all your addons back so you may not fix the issue if one of them is causing the problem.

(2014-07-11, 16:49)AnthonyJS02 Wrote: Curious if I'm understanding how this works correct. I upgraded my computer to windows 8.1 so wanted to do a fresh install. I used the back up on github for the Gotham version. It made a back up everything it looked like. I then got to point I wanted to restore. Is this supposed to make the machine look just before? Or does it not change the skin and re add all the sources? Cause if so it didn't do it first time last night and haven't had chance to try again yet. Thanks.

Edit: went in and manually copied and replaced all the information from the back up into correct folders and seemed to do the trick. Sources are all added back and skin is set just got dig into settings. I could tell it didn't copy all because file sizes were different. Was running backup to and from NAS.

Are you sure the files didn't copy? I'd need a debug log to confirm that. One of the most common problems is that you run the restore, but since the guisettings.xml file can't be restored while XBMC is running you don't get any visual changes to the system. This file has all the information regarding your skin preferences and other gui setting information. Odds are this file just wasn't copied.
(2014-07-12, 20:19)robweber Wrote: Are you sure the files didn't copy? I'd need a debug log to confirm that. One of the most common problems is that you run the restore, but since the guisettings.xml file can't be restored while XBMC is running you don't get any visual changes to the system. This file has all the information regarding your skin preferences and other gui setting information. Odds are this file just wasn't copied.

Yeah not really sure since I corrected issue with manually moving. I saw several files that were different file sizes. Did not see any missing though. But either way I was able to make it work. Thanks
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
Ok, thanks for the follow-up. The guisettings thing has been a real stupid issue to try and workaround but so far there really isn't a good way to do it other than manually moving it. Was hoping Gotham would provide a fix but it didn't make it in.
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10