• 38(current)
Bay Trail-D motherboards
I have had a couple of freezes on mine could it be caused by

Video Playback:

An Intel Linux video driver bug ( https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78960 ) causes intermittent freezes/pauses.

Workaround: disable hardware acceleration under Settings-->Video-->Acceleration. Be sure to enable multi-threaded software decoding as well.
(2014-07-16, 08:02)nx01 Wrote: I have had a couple of freezes on mine could it be caused by

Video Playback:

An Intel Linux video driver bug ( https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78960 ) causes intermittent freezes/pauses.

Workaround: disable hardware acceleration under Settings-->Video-->Acceleration. Be sure to enable multi-threaded software decoding as well.

How does the board handle software decoding? I know my old celeron 847 would struggle!
(2014-07-15, 19:12)goujam Wrote: Great news it works thanks matt for your work its very much appreciated!!!

That's good news.

I've noticed that the eBay listing from Scan has ended and they don't appear to have re-listed the quad core board. It does appear to still be in stock on their website.

It looks like the dual core one is still available, but I think the quad core is more appealing for that little bit extra grunt.
(2014-07-16, 08:32)goujam Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 08:02)nx01 Wrote: I have had a couple of freezes on mine could it be caused by

Video Playback:

How does the board handle software decoding? I know my old celeron 847 would struggle!

I switched it last night and it works fine on 1080P each core goes to around 25% CPU seems to work fine

(2014-07-16, 08:45)decpvr Wrote:
(2014-07-15, 19:12)goujam Wrote: Great news it works thanks matt for your work its very much appreciated!!!

That's good news.

I've noticed that the eBay listing from Scan has ended and they don't appear to have re-listed the quad core board. It does appear to still be in stock on their website.

It looks like the dual core one is still available, but I think the quad core is more appealing for that little bit extra grunt.

it is still available on their website the description is just wrong

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-j1800...i-mini-itx
(2014-07-16, 09:03)nx01 Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 08:32)goujam Wrote: [quote='nx01' pid='1753727' dateline='1405490526']

I noticed that, but it's a shame about the eBay listing as you could save on the delivery costs by collecting from a local Argos.
(2014-07-16, 09:10)decpvr Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 09:03)nx01 Wrote: it is still available on their website the description is just wrong

I noticed that, but it's a shame about the eBay listing as you could save on the delivery costs by collecting from a local Argos.

Yes true :-(
(2014-07-16, 09:10)decpvr Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 09:03)nx01 Wrote: [quote='goujam' pid='1753745' dateline='1405492340']
[quote='nx01' pid='1753727' dateline='1405490526']

Edit - sorry I can't seem to get the quote showing correctly!

if you join avforums then make the order £50 excluding Vat you can get free delivery so if you need RAM you will get it delivered free on next day!
(2014-07-16, 10:22)goujam Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 09:10)decpvr Wrote: [quote='nx01' pid='1753760' dateline='1405494184']
[quote='goujam' pid='1753745' dateline='1405492340']
[quote='nx01' pid='1753727' dateline='1405490526']

if you join avforums then make the order £50 excluding Vat you can get free delivery so if you need RAM you will get it delivered free on next day!

I've used that before, it's a good offer. Unfortunately I already have everything else I need: case, RAM, PSU etc.

Maybe I'll send them a message and see if they'll re-list the item.
Scan have re-listed the quad core motherboard on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131243808191
does this board have any issues with Wake on Lan?
(2014-07-16, 16:12)Mark142 Wrote: does this board have any issues with Wake on Lan?

check Post: #554 and ones before
(2014-07-12, 23:16)goujam Wrote: Ha ha sorry I've been trying to sort the s3 wake up I've not had time to do much else. I came from a celeron 847 which too be fair worked well I got bored and ordered the j1900.

Specs wise I have the j1900 board running with 2gb ddr3 1066 I had it spare. I run openelec on a ocz 60gb ssd so its completely quiet, boot up from cold is around 12 seconds.

The first problem I ran into was my denon amp or TV wouldn't display the bios in its low resolution. So I had to set it up on the TV upstairs, to be fair I only turned wake from USB on. I've played a few films to test dts-ma and Dolby true HD and it all works

So generally you would say this board can:

- Bitstream HD audio formats to a suitable AVR
- wake from S3, via USB remote (when using the alternative OpenElec build)
- playback Blu-Ray rips that have not been re-compressed (eg it doesn't struggle with the higher bit-rates), with hardware acceleration disabled to avoid the intel linux driver bug
- happily sit in a well ventilated case without any system/case fans, when using a ssd (may be a different issue with a traditional hdd)

If it can do all of those, as appears to be the case, I think I'm sold!
(2014-07-16, 16:37)decpvr Wrote:
(2014-07-12, 23:16)goujam Wrote: Ha ha sorry I've been trying to sort the s3 wake up I've not had time to do much else. I came from a celeron 847 which too be fair worked well I got bored and ordered the j1900.

Specs wise I have the j1900 board running with 2gb ddr3 1066 I had it spare. I run openelec on a ocz 60gb ssd so its completely quiet, boot up from cold is around 12 seconds.

The first problem I ran into was my denon amp or TV wouldn't display the bios in its low resolution. So I had to set it up on the TV upstairs, to be fair I only turned wake from USB on. I've played a few films to test dts-ma and Dolby true HD and it all works

- playback Blu-Ray rips that have not been re-compressed (eg it doesn't struggle with the higher bit-rates), with hardware acceleration disabled to avoid the intel linux driver bug
- happily sit in a well ventilated case without any system/case fans, when using a ssd (may be a different issue with a traditional hdd)

Yeah that all sounds about right, the only thing I havent tried is the disable hardware acceleration, I havnt seen the problem of it freezing yet. If I get chance ill try a bluray rip with software decode later!

(2014-07-16, 16:12)Mark142 Wrote: does this board have any issues with Wake on Lan?

Mark I havnt tried wake on LAN I have only used USB wake up. Im sure it will work though the only reason I had problems with USB is because OPENELEC turn of USB 3.0 before suspend!
(2014-07-16, 16:45)goujam Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 16:37)decpvr Wrote:

Yeah that all sounds about right, the only thing I havent tried is the disable hardware acceleration, I havnt seen the problem of it freezing yet. If I get chance ill try a bluray rip with software decode later!

Mark I havnt tried wake on LAN I have only used USB wake up. Im sure it will work though the only reason I had problems with USB is because OPENELEC turn of USB 3.0 before suspend!

I wish i could try this board before buying so i could see if it could run all i want while watching a film without it freezing or anything.
(2014-07-15, 05:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-15, 04:36)goujam Wrote: That makes sense from what I've been seeing in my tests now to try something else as its a pain to keep reaching behind the tv

Just use my custom build with xhci wakeup enabled. link in sig

(2014-07-16, 18:18)chippy Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 16:45)goujam Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 16:37)decpvr Wrote: So generally you would say this board can:

I wish i could try this board before buying so i could see if it could run all i want while watching a film without it freezing or anything.

What do you run?
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail-D motherboards8