• 255(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-07-20, 23:35)MaxieWagner Wrote: ...
Short of setting up a path substitution or using the Texture CMU (tasks that are somewhat complicated for the novice user to handle), or resetting XBMC totally, is there any other way to more easily ease the memory "Blotation" that seems to be occurring? I don't get it…. My two friends who have only had their Fire TV's for 3 weeks said they just watch movies -- yet their XBMC memories were almost 5 GB when they eventually reported they could not even boot to XBMC.
If the bloat is within XBMC's data store, and they're not watching their own local media, the problem likely lies with their addons. Maybe they set some of their video streaming addons to download/cache the videos they're watching. Also, some addons might include additional metadata downloads.

The issue may not even be with XBMC. Maybe they're downloading app and games (some of which come with 2GB+ data packs) from Amazon.

Basically, you need to start going through their system and see which folders are filling up, which will point out which apps are taking up all the storage. "adb shell ls -l -R" will recursively list every folder, with it's size, on your device. You could also use SDCard Analyzer in ES Explorer.
(2014-07-21, 04:51)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-07-20, 23:35)MaxieWagner Wrote: ...
Short of setting up a path substitution or using the Texture CMU (tasks that are somewhat complicated for the novice user to handle), or resetting XBMC totally, is there any other way to more easily ease the memory "Blotation" that seems to be occurring? I don't get it…. My two friends who have only had their Fire TV's for 3 weeks said they just watch movies -- yet their XBMC memories were almost 5 GB when they eventually reported they could not even boot to XBMC.
If the bloat is within XBMC's data store, and they're not watching their own local media, the problem likely lies with their addons. Maybe they set some of their video streaming addons to download/cache the videos they're watching. Also, some addons might include additional metadata downloads.

The issue may not even be with XBMC. Maybe they're downloading app and games (some of which come with 2GB+ data packs) from Amazon.

Basically, you need to start going through their system and see which folders are filling up, which will point out which apps are taking up all the storage. "adb shell ls -l -R" will recursively list every folder, with it's size, on your device. You could also use SDCard Analyzer in ES Explorer.

Thanks so much for the response, elmerohueso. It is much appreciated.

I will use ES Explorer and take a closer look when things fill up again. Unfortunately, all three of these folks went ahead and cleared their data so I didn't get a chance to look at their systems.

Only one of the gents was downloading… and no one had installed any Amazon apps. The bloat was COMPLETELY within XBMC and was totally relieved with an XBMC reset.

A few questions that continue to puzzle me:

1) IS there something different in this respect between the FTV and Apple TV? Like I said, I have never heard one instance of someone not being able to boot their Apple TV because of a memory shortage.

2) Once the bloat has occurred within XBMC on the FIRE TV, is there any way of relieving what has already accumulated? What is the solution at that point? An XBMC reset?

3) Is this an issue that is inevitable for the Fire TV user with XBMC? I personally installed the configurations for all three users impacted…. and two of them neither downloaded nor have the slightest clue how to tinker with an XBMC setting. This resulted after generic XBMC settings -- the exact same settings that I have used in over 50 Apple TV installations without an issue.

4) Is it really necessary to disable FAN ART and METADATA to prevent this? Heck, never had to do that with an Apple TV…. and that art is part of what makes the experience so rich and fun!

Thanks again!
1. iOS is a more mature port of XBMC, and iOS and Android are two very different OSes. It's not surprising to see something like this where only one platform is affected.

2. What ever is causing 5 GB to be consumed in 3 weeks is likely some kind of bug, or some really strange situation that we haven't considered before. It's certainly possible to use that much data in a short period of time, but it's not what I would call normal.

3. I doubt this is a common issue, or else we'd be hearing about it a lot more often. Maybe there's something about those three FireTV's that you setup that just trigger the right factors for this issue. It's hard to say without any logs or seeing what was in the userdata folder (wiki).

4. See 2.
Thanks so much, Ned. I learn something new every time I visit.

Really kind of fascinating… if not somewhat concerning.

I would be interested in hearing from others who might have been using their Fire TV's for a few months…. and learning just what their XBMC data is measuring right now.
(2014-07-21, 04:32)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-07-20, 23:58)Madline Wrote: Hi. I have a problem with screensaver "Android Power Options". It works fine till today. Now it reboots my AFTV instead of sleep mode. Can somebody help me whith this?

Did you change the screensaver's settings to something other than "Sleep"? I've never had a problem (I wrote it, BTW).

I uninstalled this screensaver. Deleted it's folder. And reinstalled. It works for now. And there is no additional settings for "Android Power Options". Only checking for root permission.

How I can get better quality of rewind by editing advancedsettings.xml?
What I need to write there?
Anyone have issues with Xbmc on FTV seeing an external HD? I can't get it to see a USB drive plugged into the router. It's a Wd passport drive I have tried nfs zero config and smb nothing shows. It show up on the router but not in Xbmc. Do I need to do something? Only have had a nas drive before.
(2014-07-21, 15:25)Madline Wrote:
(2014-07-20, 23:58)Madline Wrote: Hi. I have a problem with screensaver "Android Power Options". It works fine till today. Now it reboots my AFTV instead of sleep mode. Can somebody help me whith this?

Did you change the screensaver's settings to something other than "Sleep"? I've never had a problem (I wrote it, BTW).

I uninstalled this screensaver. Deleted it's folder. And reinstalled. It works for now. And there is no additional settings for "Android Power Options". Only checking for root permission.
There are 2 pages to the "Android Power Options" settings. First page is called "RUN ME FIRST!" and has the SU permissions check. Second page is called "Settings" and lets you choose whether the screensaver should "Put Device to Sleep", "Power Off Device" (which would likely cause the FTV to reboot, as it wasn't made to be turned on and off), or "Do Nothing", along with the option to "Logoff XBMC Profile" when sleep or do nothing is chosen. I think I added these options back in version 1.1. If you have my repo installed, "Android Power Options" should be automatically pulling down updates.
(2014-07-21, 19:23)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 15:25)Madline Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 04:32)elmerohueso Wrote: Did you change the screensaver's settings to something other than "Sleep"? I've never had a problem (I wrote it, BTW).

There are 2 pages to the "Android Power Options" settings. First page is called "RUN ME FIRST!" and has the SU permissions check. Second page is called "Settings" and lets you choose whether the screensaver should "Put Device to Sleep", "Power Off Device" (which would likely cause the FTV to reboot, as it wasn't made to be turned on and off), or "Do Nothing", along with the option to "Logoff XBMC Profile" when sleep or do nothing is chosen. I think I added these options back in version 1.1. If you have my repo installed, "Android Power Options" should be automatically pulling down updates.

Thanks for the detailed answer.
Now I see this settings.
It's a pity that there is no selection of time to put device to sleep.
It would be great if in the future there will be time settings.
But most of all I would like to see a screen saver like in original luncher of AFTV.
Hey thanks for the response, How do I install your XBMC Tweaks for FTV addon? Im new to xbmc sorry. Do i need to push the xml file to a certain folder using adb? Also what is the bone picture for? Logo? Thanks a lot, i do appreciate it.

(2014-07-20, 22:53)sparkfuzz Wrote: Okay for the life of me I cant get the different keymaps loaded into my FireTV. I have opened a new text document like wiki stated and copy and pasted the text and saved the document as "keyboard.xml". Im pretty sure its saving it as "keyboard.xml.txt". I pushed the file with adb and nothing changed on my remote (which I had to push as "keyboard.xml.txt). I have windows 7, it is saving the as a TXT file. Can someone please help. So frustrating.

Try the "XBMC Tweaks for FTV" program addon, from my repo. It'll let you toggle between the keymaps (and splashscreens) currently listed in the wiki.

(2014-07-21, 03:43)bradwatson Wrote: Anyone else having Netflix crashes when running xbmc as primary launcher?
Nope. I run XBMC as my launcher, and have never had Netflix crash.
(2014-07-21, 23:02)Madline Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 19:23)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 15:25)Madline Wrote: I uninstalled this screensaver. Deleted it's folder. And reinstalled. It works for now. And there is no additional settings for "Android Power Options". Only checking for root permission.

Now I see this settings.
But most of all I would like to see a screen saver like in original luncher of AFTV.

I think you now need to go to Settings->Appearance->Skin->Screensaver and there you can set the time (and make sure you set the screensaver too).
(2014-07-22, 00:53)angeloaz Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 23:02)Madline Wrote:
(2014-07-21, 19:23)elmerohueso Wrote: There are 2 pages to the "Android Power Options" settings. First page is called "RUN ME FIRST!" and has the SU permissions check. Second page is called "Settings" and lets you choose whether the screensaver should "Put Device to Sleep", "Power Off Device" (which would likely cause the FTV to reboot, as it wasn't made to be turned on and off), or "Do Nothing", along with the option to "Logoff XBMC Profile" when sleep or do nothing is chosen. I think I added these options back in version 1.1. If you have my repo installed, "Android Power Options" should be automatically pulling down updates.

Now I see this settings.

I think you now need to go to Settings->Appearance->Skin->Screensaver and there you can set the time (and make sure you set the screensaver too).

This time-settings not working. Or it's only my problem? I've selected 5 minutes, but it sleeps in a minute every time.
(2014-07-21, 23:02)Madline Wrote: It's a pity that there is no selection of time to put device to sleep.

Time to put it to sleep? It's a screensaver, so it's based on idle time. Just change the "Screensaver Time",

If you mean specifying a time of day to sleep/shutdown a device, that really isn't that great in practice. Who's to say that your device will always be idle at a given time? And if it is idle, your screensaver (based on idle time) will kick in, anyway.

If you would rather use the FTV screensaver, go into Settings > System > Power Saving and set a shutdown timer to "Quit" XBMC so the FTV screensaver can kick it.

(2014-07-22, 01:09)Madline Wrote: This time-settings not working. Or it's only my problem? I've selected 5 minutes, but it sleeps in a minute every time.

I don't know why. I've never had that issue, or had anyone else report it.
I realize this is my first post, but I have been reading here for the past several weeks. I am just at my wits end with this Fire TV and I'm strongly considering smashing it with a hammer! I have tried every version of XBMC known to man, but I can't get any kind of smooth playback or streaming. I have XBMC setup on another computer on my network and it works great from there. I can even unplug my Fire TV and plug in a BlueRay player and the BR will play my movies and TV shows through UPnP without any problems. Please help me. I am willing to start anywhere, even if I have to wipe this FTV and start all over again. I have more hours in this than you can imagine. TIA
(2014-07-18, 20:26)jocala Wrote: Image

(above: vfat,exfat,ntfs and ext4 drives connected to my fire tv)

http://www.jocala.com/adbfire.html

adbFire 1.02 changelog

addition of ntfs-3g for mounting ntfs media
addition of mount.exfat-fuse for mounting exfat media
addition of mounting for ext2,ext3,ext4 media
mount now addresses all connected USB media, not just /dev/block/sda
edit of help file to reflect mount changes
screen shots saved to unique filename

This is a good time to say, thanks. I have zero experience in Android and bought a FireTV recently. Your app made it ridiculously easy to root and get XBMC on it. So really, thanks heaps!
(2014-07-22, 05:19)King_o_hill Wrote: I realize this is my first post, but I have been reading here for the past several weeks. I am just at my wits end with this Fire TV and I'm strongly considering smashing it with a hammer! I have tried every version of XBMC known to man, but I can't get any kind of smooth playback or streaming. I have XBMC setup on another computer on my network and it works great from there. I can even unplug my Fire TV and plug in a BlueRay player and the BR will play my movies and TV shows through UPnP without any problems. Please help me. I am willing to start anywhere, even if I have to wipe this FTV and start all over again. I have more hours in this than you can imagine. TIA
Are you on wireless or wired network?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 255(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10