• 225(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-07-22, 19:09)elim Wrote: can anyone tell me if the i3 nuc is quiet?

i will be sitting around 2m from it and it will be under my tv

will be used for flash streams, xbmc, and web browsing thanks

Quiet is relative but from my perspective if all it's doing is running XBMC under OE and doing hardware decode of video it is virtually silent.

By comparison the "quiet" mini ITX I had prior was quite loud compared to this.
(2014-07-22, 19:35)voip-ninja Wrote:

Quiet is relative but from my perspective if all it's doing is running XBMC under OE and doing hardware decode of video it is virtually silent.

well i will be 2m away from it so if its loud enough that i can clearly hear it then it could be a problem, i dont mind a gentle hum
Id say it is quiet enough, quieter than any other small HTPC ive ever had... Only you can make the judgement for yourself though, you might have particularly sensitive ears or whatever. If it really came to it, you could get a fanless case for it if you weren't happy
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-07-23, 00:19)elim Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 19:35)voip-ninja Wrote:

well i will be 2m away from it so if its loud enough that i can clearly hear it then it could be a problem, i dont mind a gentle hum

As I said, where I have it installed (about 3m away inside of an entertainment hutch) it is more or less completely silent... by comparison my previous PC was fairly quiet but I could definitely hear it when it was running.

As someone else points out, only you can truly be the judge. I would say that during media playback of any kind you are very unlikely to be able to hear it. If it's a meter away from your head when you are sleeping maybe it would bother you.

The good news is that if the noise becomes a problem you can buy a completely passive case/cooling-solution for it that should take care of things for you.
(2014-07-23, 00:36)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 00:19)elim Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 19:35)voip-ninja Wrote: Quiet is relative but from my perspective if all it's doing is running XBMC under OE and doing hardware decode of video it is virtually silent.

As I said, where I have it installed (about 3m away inside of an entertainment hutch) it is more or less completely silent... by comparison my previous PC was fairly quiet but I could definitely hear it when it was running.

As someone else points out, only you can truly be the judge. I would say that during media playback of any kind you are very unlikely to be able to hear it. If it's a meter away from your head when you are sleeping maybe it would bother you.

The good news is that if the noise becomes a problem you can buy a completely passive case/cooling-solution for it that should take care of things for you.

thanks for your help

also found this from someone on the forums "tip to make the nuc quiet"

https://communities.intel.com/thread/53372
(2014-07-23, 00:40)elim Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 00:36)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 00:19)elim Wrote: well i will be 2m away from it so if its loud enough that i can clearly hear it then it could be a problem, i dont mind a gentle hum

thanks for your help

also found this from someone on the forums "tip to make the nuc quiet"

https://communities.intel.com/thread/53372

Well, I just did the "ear test" and while I can hear the NUC (very soft whirring noise) from 30-40cm away, the noise level doesn't change whatsoever by pressing on the top or putting an object on top.

Just my .02. I think the best thing is you hope for the best and worst case you buy a new enclosure for $100 or so.
I bought an Intel 34010 haswell nuc
also bought Kingston 8gb HX321LS11IBK2/8 8GB (2X4GB)

here is something weird...

when i install only one ram module on the upper dd3 slot Nuc boots ok..

if i install ram on the lower slot or on both slots nuc hangs..

is it a faulty nuc unit?
Or faulty RAM?

Why would you want that much RAM for an HTPC?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-23, 21:35)nickr Wrote: Or faulty RAM?

Both modules work on the upper slot... None of them works on lower slot..

( going to play a bit hearthstone Wink)
Sounds like the motherboard then.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-23, 22:22)solamnic Wrote:

Are you sure you have the ram latched properly? Sounds like it's not seated correctly.
Not specifically NUC related but from a general computing perspective: In my desktop PC I was trying to get a 16GB matched set of 4 G-Skill RAM sticks working and it would not post. I could use any combination of any 2 sticks of the 4 in any motherboard slots and it was fine, but as soon as I added a 3rd or 4th stick it would not post. I finally got it to work by going into BIOS and manually configuring the RAM voltage, timings etc as per the RAM specs and the machine started up with all 4 sticks. Essentially the motherboard auto SPD setting was somehow not working (perhaps it was setting the voltage on the low side as the RAM specs said 1.5 - 1.6v and when I manually configured everything I set it at 1.55v).

So you could try getting into BIOS with 1 stick of RAM installed, then manually set the RAM speed timings and voltage according to your RAM specs and see if anything changes. If that doesn't work you could even try a minor voltage increase over stock voltage (be careful/research safe limit first etc) just to see if that changed anything. If still no joy then look to take the NUC and/or RAM back to the shop you purchased it from and see if they can either try alternative RAM or try that RAM in an alternative NUC
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-07-24, 00:50)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 22:22)solamnic Wrote:

Are you sure you have the ram latched properly? Sounds like it's not seated correctly.

i have tried it many times Smile...
will try again and report if some changes..
also contacted intel about this...

btw..
i have 100% rate of not making any PC to work for the first time i lay my hands on it... Nod
Intel answered:

"We have received your email and are happy to assist you.
Please we would like you to inform you that in most NUCs the lower slot does not work but you could test with a different memory.
The link below gives the list of supported memory configurations also the list of tested memory"

Are we serious? Lower slot DOES NOT WORK in NUCS?
I kind of think you got an idiot from their support team. All of their specs say it supports two RAM sticks, I would escalate the issue within their tech support team.
  • 225(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7