• 50(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
script updated to v2.1.5

- update to OpenELEC 4.2 beta 2 (4.1.2)
- remove use of custom build, since OE now supports wake from suspend for USB3-connected devices

updated wiki with additional IR receiver / remote models
(2014-07-23, 18:41)Matt Devo Wrote: script updated to v2.1.5

- remove use of custom build, since OE now supports wake from suspend for USB3-connected devices

Tnx for the update!
I was still on 2.10, so I thought the sleep/wake via USB (ir remote, harmony) was a good reason to update.
The instructions were clear, updated the coreboot firmware. Now says it the version of 20140709, is this correct?
It didn't update openelec, this probably only works on a new install right? So updated manually (which currently on openelec means dumping 1 .tar file in a folder and rebooting Tongue )

Sleep/wake works and is really instant! Might save a few cents on the yearly energy bill Rofl
This may not be the place to ask but I'm going to since its a very active thread - does 3D work reliably in OE running on this? I have a few 3d mkv's that I renamed to .hsbs, that is all that's needed right? I also have iso's ripped from my discs that are MVC encoded, from what I read I didn't see a way to play them back. Thanks.
Matt, thanks for the script and clear instructions, its working very well, but how do I find out about any updates to your custom build?

Automatic updates are turned off per your default, I receive crawler messages about XBMC updates, but since I had to buy a USB keyboard to get into developer mode I suspect I'll have the USB3 wake-up issue your build has fixed since I am using a wireless USB keyboard (Logitech kr400) with your custom OpenELEC build with your modified coreboot firmware standalone.

I do have to run with software decoding, but all seems OK with 70-80% on both cpu worst case. The instructions on the Wiki for the hardware acceleration SW-filter workaround don't match up with the settings options I see. My system info is: xbmc 13.1 Git 84725b0 11JUL2014 build, OpenELEC 4.0.7-ChromeBox. Is this a problem with the workaround instructions on the wiki or did the script somehow download the wrong installer? I definitely have freeze jump ahead playback issues with the default hardware accelerations settings.

What are the codecs that are most problematic with software decoding?

(2014-07-23, 18:41)Matt Devo Wrote: script updated to v2.1.5

Does this mean I can enable automatic updates on your custom build and install the 4.1.2? I'm a bit confused as what the script installed doesn't match the SW-filter harware accelerations workaround.
(2014-07-23, 21:28)Smobbo Wrote: Tnx for the update!
I was still on 2.10, so I thought the sleep/wake via USB (ir remote, harmony) was a good reason to update.
The instructions were clear, updated the coreboot firmware. Now says it the version of 20140709, is this correct?
It didn't update openelec, this probably only works on a new install right? So updated manually (which currently on openelec means dumping 1 .tar file in a folder and rebooting Tongue )

Sleep/wake works and is really instant! Might save a few cents on the yearly energy bill Rofl

yes, 20140709 is the latest coreboot update. I guess I could have updated the datestamps, but was lazy.

the script should not be used to update openelec; either enable automatic updates, or do a manual update to the latest official OE build

(2014-07-23, 21:42)MrCrispy Wrote: This may not be the place to ask but I'm going to since its a very active thread - does 3D work reliably in OE running on this? I have a few 3d mkv's that I renamed to .hsbs, that is all that's needed right? I also have iso's ripped from my discs that are MVC encoded, from what I read I didn't see a way to play them back. Thanks.

SBS stuff should play fine, but MVC isn't currently supported by XBMC, IIRC.

(2014-07-23, 21:54)wally_666 Wrote: Matt, thanks for the script and clear instructions, its working very well, but how do I find out about any updates to your custom build?

Automatic updates are turned off per your default, I receive crawler messages about XBMC updates, but since I had to buy a USB keyboard to get into developer mode I suspect I'll have the USB3 wake-up issue your build has fixed since I am using a wireless USB keyboard (Logitech kr400) with your custom OpenELEC build with your modified coreboot firmware standalone.

if enabling automatic updates doesn't pull down 4.1.2, then just update manually. The keyboard issues with ChromeOS' dev screen are completely unrelated to OpenELEC having disabled wake from suspend on USB3 ports prior to version 4.1.2. The former is a bug, the latter a deliberate decision due to issues with older Linux kernels.

Quote:I do have to run with software decoding, but all seems OK with 70-80% on both cpu worst case. The instructions on the Wiki for the hardware acceleration SW-filter workaround don't match up with the settings options I see. My system info is: xbmc 13.1 Git 84725b0 11JUL2014 build, OpenELEC 4.0.7-ChromeBox. Is this a problem with the workaround instructions on the wiki or did the script somehow download the wrong installer? I definitely have freeze jump ahead playback issues with the default hardware accelerations settings.

What are the codecs that are most problematic with software decoding?

make sure you have the Settings level (bottom left) set to Advanced or Expert, enable Hardware Acceleration, and then you will see those options.

CPU usage for software decoding is dependent on a large number of variables, the codec used isn't really one of them - it's the parameters therein.

Quote:Does this mean I can enable automatic updates on your custom build and install the 4.1.2? I'm a bit confused as what the script installed doesn't match the SW-filter harware accelerations workaround.

For OpenELEC, the script is only needed for the initial install (dual boot) or to create the initial install media (standalone). Updates are handled thru OpenELEC itself, either automatically or manually.
(2014-07-23, 22:21)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 21:28)Smobbo Wrote: Tnx for the update!

yes, 20140709 is the latest coreboot update. I guess I could have updated the datestamps, but was lazy.

the script should not be used to update openelec; either enable automatic updates, or do a manual update to the latest official OE build

Tnx for the confirmation!
Everything is running as expected Smile !
Still no joy on audio dropout on resume with latest OE beta. Even changed harmony to resume Chromebox last and still had same problem.

Also, confused about this hardware acc workaround, has this been worked out to actually be useful or does it still just do hard lockup?
(2014-07-23, 23:43)jsp1 Wrote: Still no joy on audio dropout on resume with latest OE beta. Even changed harmony to resume Chromebox last and still had same problem.

Also, confused about this hardware acc workaround, has this been worked out to actually be useful or does it still just do hard lockup?

Disappointed to hear about the audio resume issue - perhaps some of the NUC guys have run into the same thing and have a fix/workaround?

for Hardware acceleration, the 'Use SW Filter for VAAPI' setting will mitigate the first bug (78960); the 2nd one (81447) is much more rare (~5s video pause vs lockup) and requires use of SW decoding.
I can only assume that a FernetMenta build would only address 78960 as well? Or have those changes already been committed to OE?

Anyway, no big issues with SW decoding so far even with high bitrate stuff. Although, the video quality report on info shows a lower value under SW decoding than HW acceleration. Anywhere from 10-20% difference for me.
vq is not video quality it's video queue. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Codecinfo
(2014-07-24, 00:14)jsp1 Wrote: I can only assume that a FernetMenta build would only address 78960 as well? Or have those changes already been committed to OE?

Anyway, no big issues with SW decoding so far even with high bitrate stuff. Although, the video quality report on info shows a lower value under SW decoding than HW acceleration. Anywhere from 10-20% difference for me.

nothing in his current builds would have any impact on either of these two bugs.

(2014-07-24, 01:07)furii Wrote: vq is not video quality it's video queue. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Codecinfo

+1
I am really thinking about going with the Asus Chromebox as my next XBMC box: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M00...B00IT1WJZQ

My main use will be to stream movies and TV shows over WiFI. My wireless router is not very far away (20 feet) but a wired connection is not really an option with how my basement suite is set up. I have been using an OUYA for almost a year now and while it works fine for the most part, there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

My biggest question would be how many Chromebox users recommend this box? Also, what type of remote would be best to pair with this box? I have a wireless keyboard but I feel like that is too bulky to leave laying around on the coffee table...

Thanks!
Matt, out of curiosity. Is there a Linux version of set_gbb_flags.sh? Main reason I am asking is having an ability to force reboot into ChromeOS directly from OpenELEC.

Thanks!
(2014-07-24, 01:07)furii Wrote: vq is not video quality it's video queue. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Codecinfo

Haha, well don't I feel stupid. Learn something new every day I guess. Thanks for the clarification. Blush

(2014-07-24, 03:19)pony89 Wrote: I am really thinking about going with the Asus Chromebox as my next XBMC box: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M00...B00IT1WJZQ

My main use will be to stream movies and TV shows over WiFI. My wireless router is not very far away (20 feet) but a wired connection is not really an option with how my basement suite is set up. I have been using an OUYA for almost a year now and while it works fine for the most part, there is a whole lot of room for improvement.

My biggest question would be how many Chromebox users recommend this box? Also, what type of remote would be best to pair with this box? I have a wireless keyboard but I feel like that is too bulky to leave laying around on the coffee table...

Thanks!

I give a recommend if it is meant as a standalone Openelec box. No better value for the money in my opinion. If you want something more versatile spring for a NUC.

For OE, even with current kinks that still need ironing out it is just great! Nearly silent, plenty of power, boots super fast, low power, low heat, small form factor, it is the total package as an XBMC box. Matt's support makes it worth the price of admission alone. Find me a better, more quickly supported piece of hardware for even twice the price and I'll eat my shoe.

I have an OUYA as well and it is a sad disappointment of a machine in general, but compared to Chromebox it is leagues apart. I would sacrifice my Ouya to the mighty volcano just to have hardware acceleration fixed on my CB. I also had (and hated) a FireTV for reference.

As for a remote, I suggest a harmony (even entry level) with a good MCE usb receiver such as the HP Matt recommends in the wiki. I personally use a harmony 1100 with a Rosewill MCE receiver. I miss my harmony 659 though, and they can be had fairly cheap with some looking.
(2014-07-24, 03:19)pony89 Wrote: My biggest question would be how many Chromebox users recommend this box? Also, what type of remote would be best to pair with this box? I have a wireless keyboard but I feel like that is too bulky to leave laying around on the coffee table...

Thanks!

See the wiki for remote info

(2014-07-24, 04:34)igjunk Wrote: Matt, out of curiosity. Is there a Linux version of set_gbb_flags.sh? Main reason I am asking is having an ability to force reboot into ChromeOS directly from OpenELEC.

Thanks!

Negative
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37