• 47(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Fantastic. Thanks for your help. I'll try this out.
I wonder if anyone can help me out.
I did a back up of XBMC on my android Tablet.
I thought i would copy the backup to my midnight TV box with linux and xbmc on.
When i try to restore the back up from the tablet onto my midnight tv box the back up does not show within the restore menu on xbmc back up.
Am i doing something wrong ?
Hi Rob

I have a Pivos Xios Ds running Frodo 12.2 linux with my data on a sd xbmc-data folder and want to restore these settings to Pivos Xios Xs running Gotham 13.0.. Can this be done. Last time I attempted this was about 8 months ago with atv2 to the ds and when I tried to access any files it gave me an error message saying something like files could not be found would you like to delete this file. I know it has something to do with the path but how do I fix this problem. Last time I rescanned the content but could not find a way to save my Marked Watched.
(2014-08-07, 20:31)jacko5 Wrote: I wonder if anyone can help me out.
When i try to restore the back up from the tablet onto my midnight tv box the back up does not show within the restore menu on xbmc back up.

I'll need a debug log. Could be a number of things. Just shooting from the hip make sure you've set the remote folder to be the root directory of your restore points - not the actual restore point folder. When you pick "restore" it will search that folder for all the dated folders and display a list.

(2014-08-08, 02:43)spager Wrote: Hi Rob

I have a Pivos Xios Ds running Frodo 12.2 linux with my data on a sd xbmc-data folder and want to restore these settings to Pivos Xios Xs running Gotham 13.0.. Can this be done. Last time I attempted this was about 8 months ago with atv2 to the ds and when I tried to access any files it gave me an error message saying something like files could not be found would you like to delete this file. I know it has something to do with the path but how do I fix this problem. Last time I rescanned the content but could not find a way to save my Marked Watched.

A debug log would help here too. The addon shouldn't ever ask you if you want to delete a file - that isn't programmed anywhere in the code. One thing to remember if you are going from 12.2 to 13.0 and want to save your database information, including watched status. The database versions are going to be different so you are restoring a 12 version of the database to a 13 install. You'll want to restore the database, shutdown XBMC, and then delete the 13 database that already exists. This will force XBMC to recreate the database on startup and it will find the 12 version and then upgrade that to the 13 one. If you don't do this you'll restore the database and it won't actually do anything.
Thanks Rob

Ok the Backup addon did not give the error it was the ds when I tried to access a file, as you said it did not do any thing and it asked me if I wanted to delete the file I did this 8 months ago and they were both on Frodo 12.0 I believe, (apple tv2 to ds) the restore sent my data over.but because it was apple tv to ds the file do not see the path so it asked me if I wanted to delete the file. I hope this make sense to you.

Now I think I understand what you are saying about deleting the files when shut down but the Xs does not have the same path as the ds using a msd card, it uses internal memory. Will this cause the same issue I had before and how do I delete the 13 files when the xs is shut down..If you could give me step by step directions I would be very grateful as I spent almost the whole weekend 8 months ago and still could not save my Marked Watched. I am all in to figure this out but need direction.
I thought I posted this question here, but is it possible to just restore your data from a backup? I am afraid one of my addons is keeping me from installing another, and what I need to restore is my links to my harddrive, which contains my son's favorite shows and movies.
Thanks in advance
(2014-08-08, 16:35)robweber Wrote:
(2014-08-07, 20:31)jacko5 Wrote: I wonder if anyone can help me out.

I'll need a debug log. Could be a number of things. Just shooting from the hip make sure you've set the remote folder to be the root directory of your restore points - not the actual restore point folder. When you pick "restore" it will search that folder for all the dated folders and display a list.

(2014-08-08, 02:43)spager Wrote: Hi Rob

A debug log would help here too. The addon shouldn't ever ask you if you want to delete a file - that isn't programmed anywhere in the code. One thing to remember if you are going from 12.2 to 13.0 and want to save your database information, including watched status. The database versions are going to be different so you are restoring a 12 version of the database to a 13 install. You'll want to restore the database, shutdown XBMC, and then delete the 13 database that already exists. This will force XBMC to recreate the database on startup and it will find the 12 version and then upgrade that to the 13 one. If you don't do this you'll restore the database and it won't actually do anything.

Do I delete the files that are in the video/files or do go to files/ add video and delete using browse?
I have tried 2 times ounce 8 months ago and now. Both times I received a comment but not very detailed to help me solved my issue and no follow up.. I am trying to get my Mark Watched to follow a new device Pivos Ds with msd card to Pivos Xs internal memory, as well as new xbmc platform Frodo to Gotham. Is it possible to do this and can you give me a step by step direction.
(2014-08-09, 05:28)startreksuite Wrote: I thought I posted this question here, but is it possible to just restore your data from a backup? I am afraid one of my addons is keeping me from installing another, and what I need to restore is my links to my harddrive, which contains my son's favorite shows and movies.
Thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean by "data". Do you mean the databases that contain your libraries or the actual video/music files? The databases can be configured for a regular backup/restore. This addon is not meant for your actual video/music files but I suppose you could use the custom directory options for this in theory. Seems like a waste though since these files are sure to be huge and you're going to transfer them all each and every time you do a backup. I guess the short answer here is that anything that is on the list of stuff you can backup in the addon settings can also be restored.

(2014-08-08, 23:48)spager Wrote: Thanks Rob

Ok the Backup addon did not give the error it was the ds when I tried to access a file, as you said it did not do any thing and it asked me if I wanted to delete the file I did this 8 months ago and they were both on Frodo 12.0 I believe, (apple tv2 to ds) the restore sent my data over.but because it was apple tv to ds the file do not see the path so it asked me if I wanted to delete the file. I hope this make sense to you.

Now I think I understand what you are saying about deleting the files when shut down but the Xs does not have the same path as the ds using a msd card, it uses internal memory. Will this cause the same issue I had before and how do I delete the 13 files when the xs is shut down..If you could give me step by step directions I would be very grateful as I spent almost the whole weekend 8 months ago and still could not save my Marked Watched. I am all in to figure this out but need direction.

(2014-08-09, 17:43)spager Wrote: Do I delete the files that are in the video/files or do go to files/ add video and delete using browse?

(2014-08-15, 00:46)spager Wrote: I have tried 2 times ounce 8 months ago and now. Both times I received a comment but not very detailed to help me solved my issue and no follow up.. I am trying to get my Mark Watched to follow a new device Pivos Ds with msd card to Pivos Xs internal memory, as well as new xbmc platform Frodo to Gotham. Is it possible to do this and can you give me a step by step direction.

I really can't give you step by step directions as I don't own any of these products. I have no idea how the file systems are set up or even how XBMC is set up to run on them - I'm assuming it's just running the Android app since the Pivos is an Android product from what I can remember. You don't need to have the whole unit off to delete the files you need, just make sure XBMC isn't running. I would suggest you post your specific problem in the General Support thread as this is really outside the scope of the addon and is dealing more with upgrading XBMC. Plus, you'll probably find more people with the same hardware you have that can provide specific instructions.

As an alertnative to all this work why not just export your entire library from device A (Frodo) and then on device B install Gotham and re-scan the whole thing? You can use the advancedsettings tag <importwatchedstate> to make sure your watched status comes across. Will probably be a lot easier to do this in the long run.
Data as in links to my external hard drive video files and thumbnails.
You should just be able to restore you video library, thumbnail files, and sources (config) files. These are essentially what "link" xbmc to these media items.
(2014-08-15, 15:19)robweber Wrote:
(2014-08-09, 05:28)startreksuite Wrote: I thought I posted this question here, but is it possible to just restore your data from a backup? I am afraid one of my addons is keeping me from installing another, and what I need to restore is my links to my harddrive, which contains my son's favorite shows and movies.
Thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean by "data". Do you mean the databases that contain your libraries or the actual video/music files? The databases can be configured for a regular backup/restore. This addon is not meant for your actual video/music files but I suppose you could use the custom directory options for this in theory. Seems like a waste though since these files are sure to be huge and you're going to transfer them all each and every time you do a backup. I guess the short answer here is that anything that is on the list of stuff you can backup in the addon settings can also be restored.

(2014-08-08, 23:48)spager Wrote: Thanks Rob

(2014-08-09, 17:43)spager Wrote: Do I delete the files that are in the video/files or do go to files/ add video and delete using browse?

(2014-08-15, 00:46)spager Wrote: I have tried 2 times ounce 8 months ago and now. Both times I received a comment but not very detailed to help me solved my issue and no follow up.. I am trying to get my Mark Watched to follow a new device Pivos Ds with msd card to Pivos Xs internal memory, as well as new xbmc platform Frodo to Gotham. Is it possible to do this and can you give me a step by step direction.

I really can't give you step by step directions as I don't own any of these products. I have no idea how the file systems are set up or even how XBMC is set up to run on them - I'm assuming it's just running the Android app since the Pivos is an Android product from what I can remember. You don't need to have the whole unit off to delete the files you need, just make sure XBMC isn't running. I would suggest you post your specific problem in the General Support thread as this is really outside the scope of the addon and is dealing more with upgrading XBMC. Plus, you'll probably find more people with the same hardware you have that can provide specific instructions.

As an alertnative to all this work why not just export your entire library from device A (Frodo) and then on device B install Gotham and re-scan the whole thing? You can use the advancedsettings tag <importwatchedstate> to make sure your watched status comes across. Will probably be a lot easier to do this in the long run.

Hi Rob:

Thanks Kindly for the advice. Option 1 has it where I would have to shut down the machine and edit and this is not possible as I am not on Android.I am on Pivos Tofui as an O/S.

I will give option 2 a go. If you have a little time tonight and or tomorrow could you help me a bit with this?

If I do a fresh install of all my addons and library setup I would then ssh the Frodo watched status to a new device that has Gotham. This device is not the same as the library paths are different. I can follow and figure things out but I an not a computer wizard. If I ssh will there be a user name and password. Guidance will be the only way for me to get this to work.

Again thanks for the awesome Back up program I have used it many times and it works very well.
I have a quick question on this that I kinda know the answer to but would like confirmation..

If I have a shared database and thumbs out to the share then its fine to just back up just the others?
A bit of a weird problem here, i've made some backups through time to my win7 pc over smb.
I see all the folders on that win7 machine including nr of files, filesize etc.
I wanted to clean up a little but when i tried to delete the older backup folders my windows starts counting all the files to remove to recycle bin and when that's done i get a message that the folder couldn't be found and the process stops.
I've tried to repeat the process with the pi disconnected but also nok, folder is unlocked so that couldn't be a problem either i think.
Any tips for this ? (assuming it's a xbmcbackup issue).
(2014-08-22, 23:08)spager Wrote: Hi Rob:

Thanks Kindly for the advice. Option 1 has it where I would have to shut down the machine and edit and this is not possible as I am not on Android.I am on Pivos Tofui as an O/S.

I will give option 2 a go. If you have a little time tonight and or tomorrow could you help me a bit with this?

If I do a fresh install of all my addons and library setup I would then ssh the Frodo watched status to a new device that has Gotham. This device is not the same as the library paths are different. I can follow and figure things out but I an not a computer wizard. If I ssh will there be a user name and password. Guidance will be the only way for me to get this to work.

Again thanks for the awesome Back up program I have used it many times and it works very well.

Ok - if you're looking to go from Frodo to Gotham on two different devices this is what I recommend. I'm referencing the wiki here so any specifics can probably be found there, in fact there is an entire guide here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...eo_library

1. On your Frodo install go to Settings -> Video and export your video library as separate NFO files (do images as well to make life easy)
2. Add the advanced settings options as referenced in the wiki guide on your Gotham install. Restart XBMC once you've done this to load the settings.
3. On your new box setup your new sources and set content. Then scan the library.

What will happen is that your Gotham install will rebuild your video library using the exported information from the .NFO files that the Frodo installed created. By adding the advanced settings entries you'll also get your watched status. This will get you on the new database on your new machine.

(2014-08-25, 12:17)dgcruzing Wrote: I have a quick question on this that I kinda know the answer to but would like confirmation..

If I have a shared database and thumbs out to the share then its fine to just back up just the others?

Yes, I think that would work. By "thumbs out to the share" you mean you're using path substitution on just that directory right? If so then just uncheck those boxes from the backup. Just out of curiosity why the thumbs on the share? Newer versions of XBMC make their own image cache so with the shared database your xbmc instances will all pull in their own artwork. I know in some cases people don't have disk space for that on small installs but seems like a small hit in drive space is better than the performance hit of pulling all the images over the network each time they need to load.
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10