• 236(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Do you mean this: Color Banding?
Do you have any test file I can test?
(2014-08-22, 21:07)Crssi Wrote: Do you mean this: Color Banding?
Do you have any test file I can test?
AVSHD709 grayscale ramp

If you want to make sure you're getting the best possible picture, I suggest leafing through the PDF guide and checking the basic patterns, grayscale ramp and resolution tests.

Using full range GPU output and XBMC 16-235 setting will work on some TVs that don't obey the infoframe RGB range bit, but not on ones that follow the standards. I have one of each..
Some people just don't like Microsoft or the whole windows ecosystem. The question can be posed the other way; why would you install windows when oe is available? It seems to come down to playing games and playing bluray disks, neither of which concern me. For others, windows will be the solution.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
A note for Windows 8.1 users: the new Intel graphics driver 3910, uploaded 8/21, does indeed fix the Netflix bug. Just watched a SuperHD film and Dolby Digital+ worked like a charm. It only took Intel nine months to fix. Confused

To nickr, that's the other reason to use Windows. OE can't play Netflix at maximum quality. No thanks. (If it could, I'd be on OE. DRM sucks)
Good point, I tend to forget netflix as I don't have access to it here without going through a proxy or some other such arrangement I can't be bothered with!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Netflix SuperHD will be a very big deal when you get a 4k screen, since there's no other 4k content. Hopefully by then Netflix will be available in NZ. Going Windows 8 is future-proofing since 4k, like bluray, is going to be DRM'd to the max.

Worst thing in the world: DRM. Next worst: geographic content restrictions.
Honestly OE or compiled from source is a no brainer for me. The box is pretty much an appliance with OE and many "tweaks" are already done. I don't stream NetFlix on this box and prefer ripped BD done by me from my own server. If at some point in the future Windows shows a clear advantage or has some must have feature I can always switch. The OE team keeps the latest tweaks and fixes in their code, upgrading is cake! My second machine is compiled from SVN daily, I've always got the latest features (and bugs) to play with.

To each their own but early on when the NUC was quirky the OE guys took care to help us out, I see no reason to switch to Windows right now and work through another set of issues. Happy to have both of my NUC running well now :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2014-08-23, 16:40)Taxcheat Wrote: Netflix SuperHD will be a very big deal when you get a 4k screen, since there's no other 4k content. Hopefully by then Netflix will be available in NZ. Going Windows 8 is future-proofing since 4k, like bluray, is going to be DRM'd to the max.

Worst thing in the world: DRM. Next worst: geographic content restrictions.

And the next thing after this: user that bow before Microsoft and DRM and actually use that stuff.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-23, 18:26)fritsch Wrote: And the next thing after this: user that bow before Microsoft and DRM and actually use that stuff.

You're making a mighty big assumption there that my Win 8 license is legitimate. (Actually, it is. But when I was young and poor, well, let's just say that might have been true of older versions of windows.)
By failing to take a stand you are bowing.
I am looking at D34010WYKH

can someone confirm this nuc (i3) does not have issue with HD audio passthrough in windows 7 and can passthrough DTS-MA and Dolby HD?

The celeron DN2820FYKH does not support it in windows (I know it works for openelec) but I need to install xbmc on windows, was wondering if this is resolved in i3
As far as I know it's never been a problem with the i3. Nothing to "resolve". It certainly worked when I tested it.
(2014-08-29, 16:51)voip-ninja Wrote: As far as I know it's never been a problem with the i3. Nothing to "resolve". It certainly worked when I tested it.

ok, thanks for confirming about Audio.
on the other note, is it wise to pull the trigger for this nuc for wait a while for 5th generation intel - Broadwell -rumor saying it will be available Q4 2014.
(2014-08-29, 18:22)john_hey Wrote:
(2014-08-29, 16:51)voip-ninja Wrote: As far as I know it's never been a problem with the i3. Nothing to "resolve". It certainly worked when I tested it.

ok, thanks for confirming about Audio.
on the other note, is it wise to pull the trigger for this nuc for wait a while for 5th generation intel - Broadwell -rumor saying it will be available Q4 2014.

I guess it would depend on what the changes will be and how long you are willing to wait. Q4 2014 could easily be Q1 2015 at retail.

Haswell was a very big deal because it added true 23.976 support which no other video card had, as well as high quality integrated IR.

In my opinion if the only upgrade is faster CPU it is not worth waiting. Even if they add passive cooling that won't be too big a deal for many. NUC already very silent.
(2014-08-29, 16:14)john_hey Wrote: I am looking at D34010WYKH

can someone confirm this nuc (i3) does not have issue with HD audio passthrough in windows 7 and can passthrough DTS-MA and Dolby HD?

The celeron DN2820FYKH does not support it in windows (I know it works for openelec) but I need to install xbmc on windows, was wondering if this is resolved in i3

The HD Audio bitsreaming problem in Windows is isolated to the N2820 NUC - the other models (all generations) have had no problems. (It appears to be a processor limitation)
  • 236(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7