• 8(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
Smile 
ruuk : Thank you so much for putting such hard work into developing this fantastic add-on. It works perfectly on my Mac. I was going to suggest speaking through Voiceover directly, as this would automatically adopt the user's existing preferences for speech rate, voice, etc. But I see that this is already on your radar. The add-on already works quite well enough by using the OS X speech interface, so this would simply be a nice bonus to make things more seamless. On windows, it would also be good if it could speak through System Access from Serotek. If I remember correctly, The python example that you were referred to earlier in this thread should also have this feature. So those would be the only things I would suggest adding. Other than that, this really does feel complete. Thanks again for a job very well done.
Hey Ruuk,
Thanks a lot for making this addon. I've never been able to use XBMC before, but this is awesome now. This addon is awesome and I'm really enjoying it. I've gotten a lot of people to try XBMC now and everyone is loving it. So far I've been using it on Windows and my Pi, and I know person who has it working it great on his Mac.

One thing that I do have a suggestion for is the addon called Web viewer. It seems to be completely text-based, and linear, but your addon does not work with it. It's used for social addons like the twitter and facebook addons to authorize however the addon does not speak the screen.

Thanks again, and let us know if we can help you out in any way.
Today one of the fellow XBMC TTS users pinged me over twitter why some of the XBMC TTS keyboard shortcuts are not working on his setup. We went through his setup to find out xbmc.notifyall() method is not available on XBMC 12.3 Frodo and he was getting these errors in the log.
I advised him to upgrade to gotham what fixes the issue for him for the time being. I have seen discussion on Frodo compatibility on previous page so I have just included this simple report for a reference that this is another spot we may decide to warn against Frodo unfortunatelly effectivelly kicking out Windows XP users. A fix to missing xbmc.notifyall() method would be creating a wrapper for the corresponding RPC API call for usage with Frodo.
@ruuk
if you won't support Frodo you must set python API to 2.14.0 in addon.xml

Note: our Frodo repo is closed for new additions. So we will only add it to Gotham and up.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Does this work on ATV2 yet, thanks for the great work
I was able to use the tts on helix.

I can only get speech to work by installing xbmc using the tts installer.

If I install xbmc without using the tts or update with another install, i get no speech.

I can only get speech back by uninstalling and installing.

I have not deleted my profile folder.

I am trying hard not to do so because I spent a lot of time setting xbmc up the way i wish.

Any thoughts on what I can try to solve this problem.

I am sure if I removed xbmc completely and installed again that would solve the problem.

Any thoughts on how to solve the problem without doing so.

thanks
Thanks a lot for that.

I had to reinstall because xbmc stopped working after every played video.

It works again with the latest helix.

Obviously, something corrupted the program.

thanks again
I do have one more suggestion that I just thought of yesterday. While editing text, I realized that I can not use left and right arrows to review text, or any of the other key commands to review text. Is their a way that this could be added in if possible? Currently you have to know where you are and you could arrow where you need to be and then edit and TTS will read if you backspace or if you add in text to the field. If it can be added in, this would be really useful especially for usernames or keys such as with the dropbox addon when entering your key.
This would also be useful in the text we were as if you try to view change locks, speech will read everything as it comes in, and not even pressing control will stop it. leaving the window will not even stop it.The only way that I found to stop it is to kill my screenreader and then relaunching it, making me have to go back into the configuration and switch back to it because it will automatically switch to SAPI.
(2014-08-26, 18:29)blindndangerous Wrote: I do have one more suggestion that I just thought of yesterday. While editing text, I realized that I can not use left and right arrows to review text, or any of the other key commands to review text. Is their a way that this could be added in if possible? Currently you have to know where you are and you could arrow where you need to be and then edit and TTS will read if you backspace or if you add in text to the field. If it can be added in, this would be really useful especially for usernames or keys such as with the dropbox addon when entering your key.
This would also be useful in the text we were as if you try to view change locks, speech will read everything as it comes in, and not even pressing control will stop it. leaving the window will not even stop it.The only way that I found to stop it is to kill my screenreader and then relaunching it, making me have to go back into the configuration and switch back to it because it will automatically switch to SAPI.

I'm in an airport in Alaska awaiting my flight home, so I can't check, but I don't think I can track cursor movements. I also can't have the addon react to key commands as the 'keyboard' captures them all. I'll see if I can get something added to Kodi so we can make this work in the future. Right now I have to track changes in the text to determine what letters have been added or removed.

As for the other thing I'm not sure what you meant exactly, but did you try the F4 key? Assuming you have the keymap installed this should stop speech in Kodi.
(2014-08-21, 06:49)blindndangerous Wrote: One thing that I do have a suggestion for is the addon called Web viewer. It seems to be completely text-based, and linear, but your addon does not work with it. It's used for social addons like the twitter and facebook addons to authorize however the addon does not speak the screen.

Well the problem with WebViewer is that it uses textboxes, which aren't readable in Gotham, but will be in Helix. I'll have to check whether WebViewer will work on Helix in any case because it works in a non-normal way. I should be able to make WebViewer work regardless as I'm the author of that addon.
Ah, I didn't try F4. Thanks for that.
(2014-08-27, 07:13)blindndangerous Wrote: Ah, I didn't try F4. Thanks for that.

You can also edit the keymap from the addon settings and change that to a different key.
Ruuk

Apologies for this as the answer maybe embedded elsewhere on this forum. BUT. I have configured my android device (Gbox Midnight MX2) to run Google Speech and that works great allowing me to navigate the initial boot screen and start Kodi (Gotham 13.2) . I have installed your addon and configured it to use a speech engine etc but i don't hear any speech from Kodi when moving through the screens. On restart of Kodi I hear a high pitched tone that lasts for a split second but then nothing else. Am I missing something here that should be running at an OS level before I get into Kodi? or is there a config piece that needs enabling on the addon?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received Confused
Right now it only works with the speech server running on another computer.
(2014-09-04, 10:41)Traker1001 Wrote: Oh, I hadn't realized you had even gotten that far on Droid.

Well, I didn't do anything special for Droid. Using the speech server on another computer should work on any platform.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10