• 48(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Sorry for the ignorance, but , do the xbmc backup add on backing up also the current skin that i'm using (Aeon nox gotham)
?
cos if i remember right the last few times that i used "backup" add on it brought every thing right back , but the skin change to back to confluence.
am i right about it?
It does backup your skin (assuming it is in your default addons folder) but you are correct that a restore probably does not get the skin to automatically be set as your default. this is because of issues with the guisettings.xml file - which stores the information for what skin to load. Please refer to the information below which I've cut/pasted from the FAQ:

Several settings aren't being restored, this includes views, weather, etc. How do I get these back?

GUISETTINGS.xml is a configuration file used heavily by XBMC for remembering GUI specific settings. Due to the fact that XBMC reads this file on startup, and writes from memory to this file on shutdown; it is not possible to restore this file while XBMC is running. You must manually move this file from your backup archives if you wish to restore it. User SouthMark has posted the following steps for restoring in the OpenELEC system where this is more difficult:

1. Run the restore of your backup
2. SSH using putty to the IP Address of your media centre username: root Password openelec
3. Type touch /var/lock/xbmc.disabled and then press enter
4. Type kill all -9 xbmc.bin and then press enter - Your media center machine should now go blank
5. Connect to your machine using WinSCP and copy the guisettings.xml file to the userdata folder (this is the guisettings.xml file from your backup)
6. go back to your putty window and type rm /var/lock/xbmc.disabled
Thanks Man
I have just reinstalled windows 7 and XBMC. I had Frodo before and took a backup of everything using XBMC-Backup. Now I have installed Gotham, but I can't restore my data. The only thing I really want back is "Watched" TV-shows and movies. Any ideas?
Hello, I have a midnight mx2 that I'm getting ready to upgrade and I went and downloaded the xbmc backup, but when I run it to backup for the first time it says error remote path doesn't exist. How do I fix this?
(2014-09-01, 19:07)arco3 Wrote: I have just reinstalled windows 7 and XBMC. I had Frodo before and took a backup of everything using XBMC-Backup. Now I have installed Gotham, but I can't restore my data. The only thing I really want back is "Watched" TV-shows and movies. Any ideas?

If you are restoring a backup from an older version of xbmc into a newer one then your database related content just isn't going to work. With each new version of xbmc (kodi) the database structure changes. When you restore your older database the files get moved, but xbmc won't try to read them since they no longer apply. There is a way to fix this as xbmc will do the following check on startup:

Does the most current DB version exist - if yes load, if no try to find an older one. If an older one is found, upgrade its contents to the most current version (creating a new DB file in the process).

So what you can do is restore your content, quit xbmc, delete the most current DB files from the userdata/Databases directory (they have the highest DB number) and then start xbmc again. Your old content should be upgraded to the new database.

I'm posting this in the FAQ so this will be more clear to everyone.

(2014-09-02, 01:54)bleer2001 Wrote: Hello, I have a midnight mx2 that I'm getting ready to upgrade and I went and downloaded the xbmc backup, but when I run it to backup for the first time it says error remote path doesn't exist. How do I fix this?

You get this error if you haven't set the backup path, or the path you set doesn't exist. Just open the addon settings and set one. The addon should actually launch the settings dialog for you in this case as it's required.
(2014-09-02, 15:52)robweber Wrote: You get this error if you haven't set the backup path, or the path you set doesn't exist. Just open the addon settings and set one. The addon should actually launch the settings dialog for you in this case as it's required.

Thanks for the reply, When I try to browse a location in the settings I can go into folders but I can't select/set a folder destination.
I've recently set up XBMC Backup and set my "backups to keep" to 3. I just checked my backup folder and I have 15 backups so far, one for every day since I set up XBMC Backup. Does anyone know why it isn't deleting everything older than the last 3 backups?
(2014-09-02, 16:46)bleer2001 Wrote: Thanks for the reply, When I try to browse a location in the settings I can go into folders but I can't select/set a folder destination.

Why not - are you getting some kind of error? Just browse the folder and hit OK, that's it. If you really can't get it to work then just type the path in.

(2014-09-02, 19:51)the block Wrote: I've recently set up XBMC Backup and set my "backups to keep" to 3. I just checked my backup folder and I have 15 backups so far, one for every day since I set up XBMC Backup. Does anyone know why it isn't deleting everything older than the last 3 backups?

Would need a debug log to say for sure. Usually this happens when xbmc doesn't have permissions to delete stuff within the directories. I've also seen a few cases (when using Dropbox) where the folder structure is so deep it won't delete the folder. This was fixed but not pushed to the repo yet. Debug log will say for sure since it will attempt to delete and give the error.
(2014-09-03, 14:57)robweber Wrote:
(2014-09-02, 19:51)the block Wrote: I've recently set up XBMC Backup and set my "backups to keep" to 3. I just checked my backup folder and I have 15 backups so far, one for every day since I set up XBMC Backup. Does anyone know why it isn't deleting everything older than the last 3 backups?

Would need a debug log to say for sure. Usually this happens when xbmc doesn't have permissions to delete stuff within the directories. I've also seen a few cases (when using Dropbox) where the folder structure is so deep it won't delete the folder. This was fixed but not pushed to the repo yet. Debug log will say for sure since it will attempt to delete and give the error.

I just ran the job manually to get a log file for you. Does it make a difference that it didn't run during it's automated scheduled session?

The log file is pretty damn big and I couldn't paste it here, but hopefully you can quickly skim through it and find what you're looking for: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr1mv8nzxm3a6h...g.log?dl=0

Thanks for your help on this!
Just had some time to go through your log file. According to XBMC the delete functions are being triggered. There is this line from the addon

Code:
09:41:13 T:3900  NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-0.5.5: Removing backup 201409020300

Followed by a bunch of system processing and then a line like this for each of the files in the directory

Code:
09:41:16 T:3900   DEBUG: FileManager: delete D:\Scripts\XBMC Backup\201409020300\addons\metadata.album.universal\addon.xml

If these folders aren't actually getting deleted it has to be an OS issue. There isn't an error and the FileManager (this is core to XBMC) things the operation is completing normally. One thing you could try is take a screen shot of the directory (or write down the folder names or whatever) before the backup, then again after. Check and see if anything was deleted at all.
(2014-09-08, 19:40)robweber Wrote: Just had some time to go through your log file. According to XBMC the delete functions are being triggered. There is this line from the addon

Code:
09:41:13 T:3900  NOTICE: script.xbmcbackup-0.5.5: Removing backup 201409020300

Followed by a bunch of system processing and then a line like this for each of the files in the directory

Code:
09:41:16 T:3900   DEBUG: FileManager: delete D:\Scripts\XBMC Backup\201409020300\addons\metadata.album.universal\addon.xml

If these folders aren't actually getting deleted it has to be an OS issue. There isn't an error and the FileManager (this is core to XBMC) things the operation is completing normally. One thing you could try is take a screen shot of the directory (or write down the folder names or whatever) before the backup, then again after. Check and see if anything was deleted at all.

Hmm yeah nothing in the folders is getting deleted either. It's windows 7, a pretty fresh install, so I dunno what the deal would be. I think for now I will just run the backups manually every now and then as I remember. Thanks for looking through the logs.
Hello,
I'm using XBMC backup for almost two months now and I tried today to delete some backup folders. The problem is that I cannot delete any of these folders. I get the error:
An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error"

Also I tried to change XBMC backup setting to keep only 5 backups, and now XBMC backup stucked to the first folder delete.
The backups aren't on the system disk but on a different disk in which I haven't problems to delete anything else except XBMC backup folders.
Any help?

EDIT:
I found the problem and seems that is XBMC or GOTV problem. The problem is with 2 folders in addon_data which have "." as last character of their names and for this windows cannot find them and delete them. This affects XBMC backup though.
Very odd issue I am seeing.

On my OYUA it does nothing. That is, nothing gets backed up at all.

Even though, the progress bar shows that its backing up but nothing ever does.

Very strange. Tried backup up to NFS and an SMB share so far.
(2014-09-21, 09:02)dancaer69 Wrote: Hello,
I'm using XBMC backup for almost two months now and I tried today to delete some backup folders. The problem is that I cannot delete any of these folders. I get the error:
An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error"

Also I tried to change XBMC backup setting to keep only 5 backups, and now XBMC backup stucked to the first folder delete.
The backups aren't on the system disk but on a different disk in which I haven't problems to delete anything else except XBMC backup folders.
Any help?

EDIT:
I found the problem and seems that is XBMC or GOTV problem. The problem is with 2 folders in addon_data which have "." as last character of their names and for this windows cannot find them and delete them. This affects XBMC backup though.

Based on what you said you're using Windows as the target of the backup? According to this article I found Windows will not support a period as the last character of a directory name. I'm guessing the operating system has some kind of a freak out when trying to recurse the directory (even though XBMC is making the call this would turn in to an OS file system command at some point). What folders have the periods in them? Might be worth contacting the addon authors or something and having it fixed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx

(2014-09-23, 09:17)war59312 Wrote: Very odd issue I am seeing.

On my OYUA it does nothing. That is, nothing gets backed up at all.

Even though, the progress bar shows that its backing up but nothing ever does.

Very strange. Tried backup up to NFS and an SMB share so far.

Debug log? Thanks.
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10