• 41(current)
[RELEASE] Library watchdog
What is the difference between this and the standard library cleanup on XBMC? Lately it seems the library cleanup is doing the same thing I thought this was doing for me.
Not 100 % sure what you had in mind when you said I was using "unstable GIT" but I did install WatchDog from a zip earlier. It was version 0.8.1 but still I tried to uninstall WatchDog yesterday, restarted XBMC and re-added WatchDog from settings - add-ons in XBMC. So now everything should at least be done the correct way.

I am still seeing same behavior this morning:
I added several various episodes in \\HS\SERIES\<show>\<season.XX>\<new.episode.folder> and got no reaction
I added a new season folder in \\HS\SERIES\<show>\<new.season.folder> and WatchDog started scanning for new items
I then added 3 more episodes in \\HS\SERIES\<show>\<season.XX>\<new.episode.folder> on various shows and got no reaction again
New version ready. I hope people can help testing, especially on windows and osx family which is largely untested at this point. Most notable new feature is no more slow annoying library cleanup! You have to enable this feature in the add-on settings.

0.9.0beta1 zip
- added option for removing video in background without cleaning entire library (experimental)
- added clean/scan on startup option
- added option for showing status dialog on startup for debugging purposes
- improved skipping of non-media files, reducing number of library scans needed
- will now detect and ignore remote shares going off-line
- detection of of OS mounted network file systems now works on busybox systems (OpenElec)
- replaced different depth methods with recursive/non-recursive option
- other minor improvements and fixes

(2014-09-21, 16:06)robl45 Wrote: What is the difference between this and the standard library cleanup on XBMC? Lately it seems the library cleanup is doing the same thing I thought this was doing for me.
It does the same, but automatically when needed. The plan is to move away from using the library cleanup, as you can already test in v0.9.0beta1.

(2014-09-22, 07:00)PushPull Wrote: Not 100 % sure what you had in mind when you said I was using "unstable GIT" but I did install WatchDog from a zip earlier. It was version 0.8.1 but still I tried to uninstall WatchDog yesterday, restarted XBMC and re-added WatchDog from settings - add-ons in XBMC. So now everything should at least be done the correct way.

I am still seeing same behavior this morning:
I added several various episodes in \\HS\SERIES\<show>\<season.XX>\<new.episode.folder> and got no reaction
I added a new season folder in \\HS\SERIES\<show>\<new.season.folder> and WatchDog started scanning for new items
I then added 3 more episodes in \\HS\SERIES\<show>\<season.XX>\<new.episode.folder> on various shows and got no reaction again
Yes, that's what I meant with 'git'. Use the stable one from the add-on repository, or zip linked to above.
The way you describe it sound very much like a known issue in xbmc: the scanner won't pick up files more than 1 level down from the media source. What you need to do is enable "Force global scan" in watchdog settings->advanced. This issue will most likely be fixed in xbmc v14.
Thanks, I've added global 'force global scan'. But won't this be way more time-consuming, if all my sources are scanned completely each time I add something in one of the sources? What exactly changes in KODI/v14 that will sort this out ? Will I be able to by-pass this problem if I place all my episodes in \\HS\SERIES\<show> folder, instead of using dedicated 'season.xx' folders underneath \\HS\SERIES\<show> ? If so I think I would rather do so to avoid more resources being dragged on the scanning (hence my question below, my box is running on very high CPU usage already)

I have another question that is not related to this: I completely understand WatchDog is an XBMC add-on, however I'm wondering if it would be an insane amount of work to create a Windows-based stand-alone edition of WatchDog? Why I'm asking is explained more detailed in this thread I created: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204405

Basically those of us using a Windows based storage system is currently forced to run complete version of XBMC to update mySQL library, which drags much more system resources than needed and is tricky to maintain. Having a stand-alone library updater similar to WatchDog would benefit everyone using a Windows based system for storage only. Such a tool is already available on various NAS boxes.

Thanks again
(2014-09-22, 12:28)PushPull Wrote: Thanks, I've added global 'force global scan'. But won't this be way more time-consuming, if all my sources are scanned completely each time I add something in one of the sources? What exactly changes in KODI/v14 that will sort this out ? Will I be able to by-pass this problem if I place all my episodes in \\HS\SERIES\<show> folder, instead of using dedicated 'season.xx' folders underneath \\HS\SERIES\<show> ? If so I think I would rather do so to avoid more resources being dragged on the scanning (hence my question below, my box is running on very high CPU usage already)
Well yeah. Xbmc will scan your 4 folders instead of just 1. But only when scanning; cpu used by watchdog will be the same. If you want technical details see PR5343. And yes, if you loose the "season x" folders you will by-pass the problem.

(2014-09-22, 12:28)PushPull Wrote: I have another question that is not related to this: I completely understand WatchDog is an XBMC add-on, however I'm wondering if it would be an insane amount of work to create a Windows-based stand-alone edition of WatchDog? Why I'm asking is explained more detailed in this thread I created: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204405

Basically those of us using a Windows based storage system is currently forced to run complete version of XBMC to update mySQL library, which drags much more system resources than needed and is tricky to maintain. Having a stand-alone library updater similar to WatchDog would benefit everyone using a Windows based system for storage only. Such a tool is already available on various NAS boxes.
I don't have any interest in this myself, but if you find someone who is, it should be perfectly doable to modify watchdog to run standalone. It's "only" a matter of removing the xbmc specific parts. Most of it is already independent of xbmc and cross platform. What existing non-windows tools are you talking about btw? Just curious
(2014-09-22, 13:10)takoi Wrote:
(2014-09-22, 12:28)PushPull Wrote: I have another question that is not related to this: I completely understand WatchDog is an XBMC add-on, however I'm wondering if it would be an insane amount of work to create a Windows-based stand-alone edition of WatchDog? Why I'm asking is explained more detailed in this thread I created: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204405

I don't have any interest in this myself, but if you find someone who is, it should be perfectly doable to modify watchdog to run standalone. It's "only" a matter of removing the xbmc specific parts. Most of it is already independent of xbmc and cross platform. What existing non-windows tools are you talking about btw? Just curious

There is i.e. one for unRAID: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=27545.0
And I believe something similar was made for Synology. When it comes to Windows based stand-alone updaters there is just a bunch of requests for it when searching. Having one would be amazing.
I have Kodi with the latest build (22/09/2014) and tried both the 0.8.1 and the beta version 0.9. None of them works. All I get is «Watchdog starting. Please wait….». Any ideas? PS! In Xbmc 13.2 Watchdog works as it should.
Brief question regarding the deep-path-issue on TV shows: I assume this means not too long path down from the actual sharename, not within the filesystem? Or would it be beneficial to place the shared folder on root of the harddrive? I assume it doesn't matter if the shared folder is deep down in a folder structure on the harddrive, as XBMC/Watchdog only accesses \\<server>\<share> ?
Just found this addon -- love it!

Thanks!
(2014-09-22, 12:03)takoi Wrote: New version ready. I hope people can help testing, especially on windows and osx family which is largely untested at this point. Most notable new feature is no more slow annoying library cleanup! You have to enable this feature in the add-on settings.

[NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]0.9.0beta1[/B] zip
- added option for removing video in background without cleaning entire library (experimental)
- added clean/scan on startup option
- added option for showing status dialog on startup for debugging purposes
- improved skipping of non-media files, reducing number of library scans needed
- will now detect and ignore remote shares going off-line
- detection of of OS mounted network file systems now works on busybox systems (OpenElec)
- replaced different depth methods with recursive/non-recursive option
- other minor improvements and fixes

same, but automatically when needed. The plan is to move away from using the library cleanup, as you can already test in v0.9.0beta1.

I tested this on the fire tv but in the review of what was being watched , both of my video sources were not. I couldn't find any way to get them monitored.
I'm using Kodi. when using artwork downloader, kodi locks. There's a version for Kodi?
I am running XBMC 12.2 on my PIVOS XIOS DS box.

The current release v0.7.7 always fails to load causing an "service.py" script error. Earlier version had worked until I had to do a clean install of my XIOS and now I can't ROLL BACK.

Logfile: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=307562
(2014-10-01, 14:03)r1mick Wrote: I am running XBMC 12.2 on my PIVOS XIOS DS box.

The current release v0.7.7 always fails to load causing an "service.py" script error. Earlier version had worked until I had to do a clean install of my XIOS and now I can't ROLL BACK.

Logfile: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=307562
You should upgrade xbmc. It is no longer maintained for that version. All previous version are available as zip here though.

(2014-09-27, 10:34)zer04c Wrote: I tested this on the fire tv but in the review of what was being watched , both of my video sources were not. I couldn't find any way to get them monitored.
Can you provide a debug log (wiki)?

(2014-09-25, 21:40)PushPull Wrote: Brief question regarding the deep-path-issue on TV shows: I assume this means not too long path down from the actual sharename, not within the filesystem? Or would it be beneficial to place the shared folder on root of the harddrive? I assume it doesn't matter if the shared folder is deep down in a folder structure on the harddrive, as XBMC/Watchdog only accesses \\<server>\<share> ?
Yes, itt only matters how deep down it is from the media source point that you have registered in xbmc.
I'm on XBMCbuntu Gotham 13.2 but cannot install. I click on Install but nothing happens and it doesn't show up in the list of enabled add ons.
(2014-10-13, 08:21)keiron99 Wrote: I'm on XBMCbuntu Gotham 13.2 but cannot install. I click on Install but nothing happens and it doesn't show up in the list of enabled add ons.
See top post at http://xbmc.org
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Library watchdog4