• 114(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
The USB stick is blocking mainloop, when it loads artwork.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So I would be better off with SSD?
First post a Debug Log, shitty addons - that run in the background and block mainloop are also candidates to make such things worse ... also depending on the kind of viz you are using.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Some scene-setting:- I have the NUC 2820. I've been running this problem-free for months, using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, viewing/capturing terrestrial live TV via a PCTV usb-stick. The PVR software I use in Windows is DVBViewer, and I control the NUC by means of a Logitech keyboard/touchpad (in lieu of mouse) -combo, model K400r. This communicates via its own proprietary usb receiver for which Windows 8 has a MS driver. It's OK but a remote would be much better, plus it seems stupid to pre-empt one of the NUC's usb connections for this when it already has a receiver built-in.

I decided that on balance Kodi would be a far better choice, so I've made it my aim to migrate to that (in openELEC guise) and dump Windows. To start with I've installed OE ver. 4.0.7 with Tvheadend ver. 3.4.27, not on the NUC's HDD but on a usb-stick. I'm running XBMC vers. 13.2. This config is able to play back live TV over the HDMI connection to my LG TV. So far, all fine and dandy.

But now I come to the bit that isn't. It makes me feel a complete idiot to say it when numerous posters on here repeatedly assert how simple it is, but all my efforts to get either of two remotes I'm using to be "seen" by my NUC's IR-receiver have failed - totally. Either I am an idiot or something less than the whole story is being told. The question is:- Do I or do I not have to take some preparatory steps before the conversation between a remote and the NUC's receiver can begin? All the accounts on here of such-and-such a remote working "out of the box" suggest not. But in that case why won't mine?

The Wiki page "Using an MCE remote in XBMC" says "If you have one of the many cheap MCE remote controllers then just connect it to your PC and there's a fair chance it will just work". I have two such (one unbranded Chinese from E-bay, the other a TechnoTrend one bundled with their TV-card). On a quick test the first one - I haven't tested the TT one - does work if used with the IR receiver that comes with it. But that represents no gain: I need it to talk to the NUC's IR receiver and it's that that I can't get to work.

What do i need to do that I so far haven't done? Do I, for instance have to immerse myself in lircd.config, lircmap.xml, keyboard.xml and similar esoteric wizardry (I'm a Linux ignoramus, and have no plans to run any Linux distro on the NUC)? Do I have to remove the Logitech K400r before the NUC's built-in IR-receiver can kick in (I've already tried pulling out its IR plug-in receiver, and that made no difference at all)? Or what?

Guidance would be more than welcome, the more basic the better. I have of course searched (this forum and elsewhere) but found no cases that I could relate directly to my predicament.

Btw BIOS ver. is 38
Bad news for ya - OpenElec IS a Linux distro!

If you had windows 8.1 on there already, why not just install XBMC on there? I have 2x 2820 NUCs and 1x 4010 i3 NUC all running windows 8.1 and using Logitech harmony remotes with the built in IR sensor. Install the windows drivers for the CIR and it should recognise any MCE remote.

That said, im sure OpenElec will work too, but if you say you have no plans to poke around or learn how to make it work, why not just stick with windows, which you are familiar with?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
If your remote isn't workout out of the box then it probably isn't an MCE remote. There's even a lot of remotes that say they are MCE remotes, but they're not.

Do you have a picture of the remotes you've tried?
(2014-09-29, 14:46)scarecrow420 Wrote: Bad news for ya - OpenElec IS a Linux distro!
Yes scarecrow, I'm aware that it can be called that. But as you appear not to have registered the OE people go to some lengths to differentiate it from an orthodox distro (if such a thing can be said to exist). You can't run anything on it except Kodi. That suits me just fine because I don't want to - but I DO wish to run Kodi.
Quote:If you had windows 8.1 on there already, why not just install XBMC on there?
Because there's no advantage to me in doing that over continuing to use Windows 8.1 the way I'm already using it (as described). The whole purpose of what I'm trying to do is to replace Windows with Kodi.

But thanks anyway.
(2014-09-29, 15:12)Ned Scott Wrote: Do you have a picture of the remotes you've tried?

Ned

Thanks for responding. There's a picture of the Chinese one under para 2.3 of the Wiki page "List of MCE remote controls", under sub-heading 2 Non eHome/RC remotes, where it's stated that these (pretty ubiquitous) unbranded articles should work out of the box with XBMC. Well, as I said, this one seems to - but the NUC's IR receiver refuses to receive its signals.

The config file for the other (TT) remote is here:- http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/technotrend/TV-Card (and there's also a pic in the same folder).

Hope that helps.
Well, those remotes do work out of the box, but as noted on the page, they are not "real" MCE remote controls. They're marketed as MCE remote controls, because they will mimic the same functionality when used with the included receiver, but the IR signal is different. It might still be possible to use the NUC's internal IR receiver, but it would require additional setup.
Try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189618
(2014-09-29, 16:58)Ned Scott Wrote: Try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189618
Yes, I found that in my searching.

But FishOil in his companion-post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170372 of which this is a derivative stresses heavily that to follow it one must already have Linux installed (in fact he deprecates anything but XBMCbuntu). So that ruled it out for me.

It's not that I've anything against Linux, so much that Linux has something against me Confused I've tried but we don't get on, so I've resigned myself to sticking with Windows. The beauty of openELEC was (and is) that although it uses Linux it's in a version tailored to run just Kodi, without getting in the way. That would suit my needs perfectly.

But I'm being thwarted by something. Whether it's some defect in the NUC's CIR driver (which I note hasn't had any update for a long while) or some other factor I've no idea. I'm hoping someone can pinpoint it for me.
Ned
Quote:It might still be possible to use the NUC's internal IR receiver, but it would require additional setup.
Is there any source for guidance about this to which you can point me?
I was under the assumption you are using OpenELEC. OpenELEC is linux. He made http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189618 so that you know which steps to use for OE.
(2014-09-29, 17:35)Ned Scott Wrote: I was under the assumption you are using OpenELEC. OpenELEC is linux. He made http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189618 so that you know which steps to use for OE.
Yes, but in the earlier thread he says: "If you deviate from the Live CD XBMCbuntu install you are on your own installing and configuring LIRC". So he throws anyone not using XBMCbuntu onto their own resources. I'm not using it and wasn't proposing to.

For anyone who is a reasonably proficient Linux user this might present no challenge. For anyone (like me) who's not a Linux user of any degree of proficiency to speak of it offers a forbidding prospect. I realise that OE is a Linux OS, and that for anyone already familiar with Linux in one or more other guises it's relative child's play after SSH'ing into OE to adapt his Ubuntu-based sequence of steps to OE's' own flavour of Linux by going through a repertoire of familiar commands. I don't have that repertoire.

I'd been assuming that there must be another way. To my simple mind if Intel make and market a product with an inbuilt IR receiver I would expect that it would work - ie that it would respond to button-presses on a majority of remotes (and I'm not talking about only the MS-approved MCE variety). I imagined that there was a hardware fix for my NUC's IR receiver's failure to respond to signals.

That doesn't seem to me to have been an unreasonable expectation.

However if it's doomed not to be met, I'm faced with two choices:- abandon my project to migrate to Kodi/OE or enter upon a struggle to try to apply FishOil's recipe for getting Kodi/OE to work with any remote. It will be an uphill battle which - if past experience is any guide - I shall end up losing.

You see my problem, I hope.
Is changing your remote to an RC6 MCE compatible one an option? Either a One4All that has an RC6 model in its database, or a standard MCE RC6 model?

I run both Windows and Ubuntu/OpenElec, and it has made my life much easier using RC6 remotes either with a NUC's built in IR or a standard USB RC6 IR receiver.
  • 114(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5