• 24(current)
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
(2014-10-10, 15:49)Hideto17 Wrote: The information says the chip supoorts H264 8bit anda H265 10bit.

So, no support for a H264 10bit (Hi10P) encode?

Nothing supports hardware video decoding for Hi10P in the consumer space. Nothing ever will. It was a profile that was never meant to be used by consumers.
(2014-10-10, 17:07)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-10-10, 14:48)Willem55 Wrote: It's about time someone starts posting reviews on one of these boxes here.. this marketing yada is starting to bore me.
Here's one, but as expected, early firmware and issues, especially XBMC. When Minix releases their X9, it may end up being better than Cloud Media's Open Hour, Tronsmart and other RK3288 boxes.

Well I certainly wouldn't buy one based on that review!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Seriously i wait for kodi forum user reviews/experience
RK3288 re: 10-bit h.264

On the 10-bit stuff, I'll say this. The C-200 didn't have [email protected] listed, but I encoded, tested, and enjoyed it fine. Mostly the reasons standards aren't listed as compatible is because a few specs are insane, but others can actually function. The reason level 5.1 wasn't listed and played fine was because of the high bitrate requirements.

That said, when you go outside the box, all bets are off, so recognize that. As long as the 10-bit encodes are reasonable, it's likely that similar functions exist within the HEVC decoder as long as the h.264 decoder can access them.

I predict a headache, but that it can be done, mostly for the reason above. However, I will place no money on it until it's seen, and I expect that some out of the bunch will not work, but most will.
(2014-10-10, 22:34)nickr Wrote:
(2014-10-10, 17:07)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-10-10, 14:48)Willem55 Wrote: It's about time someone starts posting reviews on one of these boxes here.. this marketing yada is starting to bore me.
Here's one, but as expected, early firmware and issues, especially XBMC. When Minix releases their X9, it may end up being better than Cloud Media's Open Hour, Tronsmart and other RK3288 boxes.

Well I certainly wouldn't buy one based on that review!

The very intersting fact that you, to my disappointment, ignored wat that it ships with Kodi 14-alpha4 on 109k4 firmware and the box was pre-rooted.
I would say we killed the whole XBMC 13 (forked version) and source code violations... high five.
The initial shipping of the R28 was with 13.1 but my testing revealed many limitations with this and I recommended that Tronsmart use one of the nightly builds for their next ROM release, otherwise some users would end up disappointed, which they did to give overall improvement to the user experience.

The new forked version based upon 14 is, from what I read, imminent from Rockchip, with HEVC for the RK3288 and hopefully some sources to go with it.
(2014-10-11, 14:55)Bluesmanuk Wrote: The initial shipping of the R28 was with 13.1 but my testing revealed many limitations with this and I recommended that Tronsmart use one of the nightly builds for their next ROM release, otherwise some users would end up disappointed, which they did to give overall improvement to the user experience.

The new forked version based upon 14 is, from what I read, imminent from Rockchip, with HEVC for the RK3288 and hopefully some sources to go with it.

From rockchip
"4k avc videos can't playback smoothly .
I check the "UploadStfBufTexture", the frame is about 22~25 but the 4k video source frame is 30 fps.
the playback is a little stuttering" Looks like all other video will play smoothly and this is the only issue.

From manufacturer
"For XBMC issue, we get the KODI version from RK today, and will test it these days, will let you know asap when we have results."
They also said they will test my solution below and include in new firmware if it works.

Thanks to my regular feedback and suggestions, Rockchip has developed a new XBMC on Kodi Alpha 4, finished yesterday.
Some manufacturers already received it for testing and then it will be included in the next firmware updates by the manufacturers.
The nightly versions will probably also work better in future, since it looks like RK is making changes to their firmware(libstagefright,ffmpeg,openmax) to improve playback.
Only the issue of not playing full framerate on 4k videos that are more than 30fps still need to be ironed out as it looks to me.
Hopefully Koying or the manufacturers can find/suggest improvements to fix it in future and make it even better.
Most XBMC developers don't have RK3288 devices yet, so hopefully they'll get some soon to make playback perfect.
Remember 1080p AVC/x264 videos only became really playable in Aug 2014, it took months to get working on RK3188 devices.
So by next week, most people will be testing the new version.

For people that want 4k videos playing, remember you can use external player support in XBMC to only play videos above a certain resolution in external player eg. in playercorefactory.xml file

Here is info on External Players in XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=External_players

More for Android
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...on_Android
MXPlayer name is com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad, Rockchip build-in video player name is,android.rk.RockVideoPlayer

Examples for playercorefactory.xml external player rules

<rule filename=".*1080.*|.*4k.*" player="StockPlayer"/>

if 4k or 1080 is in the video filename use external Rockchip video player or

<rule filetypes="avc" player="StockPlayer">

play all avc files with external Rockchip video player or you can use MXPlayer player if changed to MXPlayer name

<rule videoresolution="1080" player="StockPlayer">

to only play 1080p videos with Rockchip default video player and still play 720p video with XBMC's DVDPlayer
maybe someone can check it for 4k video resolution, don't know what value should be, 4320?
(The StockPlayer fullname also has to be added in playercorefactory.xml, see example below)

The Android XBMC userdata folder to copy playercorefactory.xml file to is
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata_folder

Here is an example of playercorefactory.xml

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MXPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad</filename>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
<player name="StockPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>android.rk.RockVideoPlayer</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="avc" player="StockPlayer"/>
<rule videoresolution="1080" player="StockPlayer"/>
<rule filename=".*4K.*|.*4k.*" player="StockPlayer"/>
<rule video="true" player="DVDPlayer"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Don't know if I typed correctly, can modify it, can even replace with MXPlayer and check what works best.
Look on the above wiki pages posted for all the rules you can use in the file.
Maybe someone can find an optimal working solution by changing the file.
(2014-10-11, 16:12)mo123 Wrote:
(2014-10-11, 14:55)Bluesmanuk Wrote: The initial shipping of the R28 was with 13.1 but my testing revealed many limitations with this and I recommended that Tronsmart use one of the nightly builds for their next ROM release, otherwise some users would end up disappointed, which they did to give overall improvement to the user experience.

From rockchip
"4k avc videos can't playback smoothly .
I check the "UploadStfBufTexture", the frame is about 22~25 but the 4k video source frame is 30 fps.
the playback is a little stuttering" Looks like all other video will play smoothly and this is the only issue.

From manufacturer
"For XBMC issue, we get the KODI version from RK today, and will test it these days, will let you know asap when we have results."

Thanks to my regular feedback and suggestions, Rockchip has developed a new XBMC on Kodi Alpha 4, finished yesterday.
Some manufacturers already received it for testing and then it will be included in the next firmware updates by the manufacturers.
The nightly versions will probably also work better in future, since it looks like RK is making changes to their firmware(libstagefright,ffmpeg,openmax) to improve playback.
Only the issue of not playing full framerate on 4k videos that are more than 30fps still need to be ironed out as it looks to me.
Hopefully Koying or the manufacturers can find/suggest improvements to fix it in future and make it even better.
Most XBMC developers don't have RK3288 devices yet, so hopefully they'll get some soon to make playback perfect.
Remember 1080p AVC/x264 videos only became really playable in Aug 2014, it took months to get working on RK3188 devices.
So by next week, most people will be testing the new version.

For people that want 4k videos playing, remember you can use external player support in XBMC to only play videos above a certain resolution in external player eg. in playercorefactory.xml file

Here is info on External Players in XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=External_players

More for Android
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...on_Android
MXPlayer name is com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad, Rockchip build-in video player name is,android.rk.RockVideoPlayer

Examples for playercorefactory.xml external player rules

<rule filename=".*1080.*|.*4k.*" player="StockPlayer"/>

if 4k or 1080 is in the video filename use external Rockchip video player or

play all avc files with external Rockchip video player or you can use MXPlayer player if changed to MXPlayer name

<rule videoresolution="1080" player="StockPlayer">

to only play 1080p videos with Rockchip default video player and still play 720p video with XBMC's DVDPlayer
maybe someone can check it for 4k video resolution, don't know what value should be, 4320?
(The StockPlayer fullname also has to be added in playercorefactory.xml, see example below)

The Android XBMC userdata folder to copy playercorefactory.xml file to is
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata_folder

Here is an example of playercorefactory.xml

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MXPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad</filename>
</player>
<player name="StockPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>android.rk.RockVideoPlayer</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule videoresolution="1080" player="StockPlayer"/>
<rule filename=".*4K.*|.*4k.*" player="StockPlayer"/>
<rule video="true" player="DVDPlayer"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Don't know if I typed correctly, can modify it, can even replace with MXPlayer and check what works best.
Look on the above wiki pages posted for all the rules you can use in the file.
Maybe someone can find an optimal working solution by changing the file.

Many thanks for the info.
I have a Ugoos UT3 and want to use the inbuilt videoplayer with Kodi,so do i just edit the playercorefactory.xml and place it into the correct directory ?
If yes does anyone have a playercore.xml already edited as i am useless at this kind of thing ?
Ugoos UT3 uses ehomemediacenter as its video player.
Thank you.
Looks like the RK3288 may not support true 4K, it seems that it downscales and renders at 1080p then upscales to 4K according to this http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/10/06/c...esolution/
Quote:Many thanks for the info.
I have a Ugoos UT3 and want to use the inbuilt videoplayer with Kodi,so do i just edit the playercorefactory.xml and place it into the correct directory ?
If yes does anyone have a playercore.xml already edited as i am useless at this kind of thing ?
Ugoos UT3 uses ehomemediacenter as its video player.
Thank you.

You can copy the example I made and paste it into notepad++ and save as playercorefactory.xml file.
I haven't tested it yet, but will do so shortly.
or
use the examples on the 2 wiki pages I posted and only include what you want, read the whole wiki's so you better understand how it works.

The Rockchip Video player name I got was from an old file for RK3188 devices, hope it's still the same for the new RK3288 Rockchip Video Player.
I remember RK3188 devices used the external player trick to play 1080p videos before RK fixed the libstagefright, but it played all content with the external player.
Just found out, you can make it more selective with only file extension or resolution and still play most content with the build-in XBMC player.
(2014-10-11, 16:29)jjd-uk Wrote: Looks like the RK3288 may not support true 4K, it seems that it downscales and renders at 1080p then upscales to 4K according to this http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/10/06/c...esolution/

Do read the full tread on that link...
All you need is a TV 4K RK3288 and compare.
The result is clear
4K TV UHD55b6000is
mo123,
Thank you.
I did as you say, copied playercorefactory.xml to the correct directory,
But when i open Navi x and tell it to use a certain kind of player for playback i cannot see nothing only these options
dvdplayer
MPlayer
PAPlayer

I use dvdplayer as i think this may be the default player installed on the Ugoos UT3, but when i playback a 5.1 multi channel film via Navi X .. streaming .. it plays it in stereo only.
I have setup Kodi to play in 5.1 mode and multi channel ect.
I cannot understand why Navi X only plays films in stereo mode.
If i play a 5.1 film from the video player installed on the Ugoos UT3 it plays it back correctly, 5.1 mode.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem ?
Thank you.

I really hope you're right, which would open the door again for me to purchase from them in the near future.
(2014-10-11, 19:56)jacko5 Wrote: mo123,
Thank you.
I did as you say, copied playercorefactory.xml to the correct directory,
But when i open Navi x and tell it to use a certain kind of player for playback i cannot see nothing only these options
dvdplayer
MPlayer
PAPlayer

I use dvdplayer as i think this may be the default player installed on the Ugoos UT3, but when i playback a 5.1 multi channel film via Navi X .. streaming .. it plays it in stereo only.
I have setup Kodi to play in 5.1 mode and multi channel ect.
I cannot understand why Navi X only plays films in stereo mode.
If i play a 5.1 film from the video player installed on the Ugoos UT3 it plays it back correctly, 5.1 mode.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem ?
Thank you.

Are you trying to get this thread closed down and/or yourself banned? Read the rules, no navix discussion.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?4