• 23(current)
Win One Button DVD/BluRay Ripping using a Launcher from within XBMC
You are at the mercy of your computer hardware and Handbrake there. You can play around with the handbrake options in the script and look at handbrake guides. By default it does a fairly high compression for 720p because the script assumes blu-ray compression. If you are doing DVD's you'll want to change the encoding options as 720p is a higher resolution than a 420p which is common for DVD's.

It shouldn't take anywhere close to that once you have the settings tweaked but it does still take some time. Please see here for all the Handbrake command line options: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

I haven't tested this but using this line instead of the one in the script by default should speed up the encoding

Code:
Set X264=b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:me=umh:bframes=5:ref=1:subme=2:me=dia:analyse=none:trellis=0:no-fast-pskip=0:8x8dct=0:weightb=0

Code:
Set SIZE=--width 720 --height 480

Those two lines should help, but only change the resolution to this if using a compatible US NTSC TV / Monitor.
I enjoy your program i use it frequently question is can you do this for cd ripping i want the option to play the cd or ripp the cd thanx its my first post on this forum just curious i know xbmc has built cd ripper but it either or i like for when you insert a cd that it sees it ask you to play or ripp the cd thanx in advance
(2014-10-02, 20:33)thcdgaf Wrote: I enjoy your program i use it frequently question is can you do this for cd ripping i want the option to play the cd or ripp the cd thanx its my first post on this forum just curious i know xbmc has built cd ripper but it either or i like for when you insert a cd that it sees it ask you to play or ripp the cd thanx in advance

This program is just for DVD's and Blu-Ray's. It will not work for CD Audio.
Well am I able to add to submenu such as program if so how?
Apologies if this question has been asked: will this work/can it be made to work with a bulk ripper (such as Acronova Nimbie)?
(2014-10-14, 05:13)WarPig Wrote: Apologies if this question has been asked: will this work/can it be made to work with a bulk ripper (such as Acronova Nimbie)?

In theory it probably could, but I would have to have the software and it would have to accept command line inputs. We just change the script to use the software for the ripper instead of MKV, and then change the naming code to pull data from the bulk ripper instead.

I can't do all that blind though, so you would have to modify the script yourself.
(2014-10-14, 05:23)Spinalcrack Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 05:13)WarPig Wrote: Apologies if this question has been asked: will this work/can it be made to work with a bulk ripper (such as Acronova Nimbie)?

In theory it probably could, but I would have to have the software and it would have to accept command line inputs. We just change the script to use the software for the ripper instead of MKV, and then change the naming code to pull data from the bulk ripper instead.

I can't do all that blind though, so you would have to modify the script yourself.

I'm still researching, so I don't have the ripper yet. From what I gather, the ripper (autoloader, actually) plugs into a USB port and is seen as a "regular" drive. It uses an add-on program (QQGetTray, http://www.broadexsystems.com/products/qqgettray.htm) which opens, ejects the current disk, loads a new one and closes the drive. So if AutoRipDVD stats automatically when a drive is closed and a disk is read, it should work. I guess my question is does AutoRipDVD need to be restarted after a rip, or will it rip a disk and eject, then start again automatically if a new disk is inserted?
(2014-10-14, 05:36)WarPig Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 05:23)Spinalcrack Wrote:

I'm still researching, so I don't have the ripper yet. From what I gather, the ripper (autoloader, actually) plugs into a USB port and is seen as a "regular" drive. It uses an add-on program (QQGetTray, http://www.broadexsystems.com/products/qqgettray.htm) which opens, ejects the current disk, loads a new one and closes the drive. So if AutoRipDVD stats automatically when a drive is closed and a disk is read, it should work. I guess my question is does AutoRipDVD need to be restarted after a rip, or will it rip a disk and eject, then start again automatically if a new disk is inserted?

Yeah if its seen as just a regular drive then AutoRipDVD can be set to point to it and work.

Currently the script would need to be run after each time you insert a new disc. We could tweak it though to do batches but it would require some sort of input to know how many times to run, or when to restart etc,
(2014-10-14, 05:41)Spinalcrack Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 05:36)WarPig Wrote:
(2014-10-14, 05:23)Spinalcrack Wrote: In theory it probably could, but I would have to have the software and it would have to accept command line inputs. We just change the script to use the software for the ripper instead of MKV, and then change the naming code to pull data from the bulk ripper instead.

Yeah if its seen as just a regular drive then AutoRipDVD can be set to point to it and work.

Currently the script would need to be run after each time you insert a new disc. We could tweak it though to do batches but it would require some sort of input to know how many times to run, or when to restart etc,

Great! Once I get my hands on a Nimbie (it will be awhile; just bought a house and I'm B-R-O-K-E!!) I'll check back in with the details and such.

Thanks for the quick reply - most appreciated!
www.makemkv.com seems to not be up and running. Is this addon and setup guide still maintained and compatible with Gotham 13.2?
OK, something went wacky with MakeMKV. I just installed AutoDVDRip on a newer system and now when running from Launcher, an error message comes up from MakeMKV: "You are trying to start MakeMKV evaluation from a third-party application. Please launch MakeMKV if you would like to start the evaluation period."

WTH? Is the author of MakeMKV locking us out by not allowing it to be launched from apps like Kodi with the 1.9.1 release? Anyone come across this also or know of a workaround?

AutoRipDVD is working great on another system with MakeMKV 1.9.0, but I think that eval period expires in March.

Kinda stuck here. May have to find another program to take MakeMKV's place
do any of you ever use a program called dvd decrypt, and the related programs that go with? I just install set and go,and it decrypts any kind of dvd and gives you return copy with rite protection gone! only problem,if you interrupt problem disk is history but never had problem and been using almost 10 years!
im trying ripp multiple movies from one disc using this is there a script for renaming multipe filenames and put in approiate folder also?
I've been using XBMC for 3 years, but went back to Gotham after discovering the Eventghost XBMC plugin no longer worked consistently due to the change in how Kodi sends JSON events. I use this for turning my lights on and off during movies, voice commands using voxcommando, and other neat stuff.
(2011-07-09, 16:40)Spinalcrack Wrote: Welcome to AutoRipDVD!

I wanted to create an easy method to rip my purchased DVD's and Bluray's directly to my XBMC library. These scripts will do just that with a small amount of setup.

Once fully configured you simply run the launcher (either from the Advanced Launcher menu or from your favourites menu), with a disc in the drive and after a few minutes the program will beep, and auto-eject your movie.

Then simply update your library and your movie will be added. (very rarely you may need to switch to file mode and rename the rip for it to grab fanart - see more info below).

Setup:

First go to http://www.makemkv.com/download/ and get the latest version, and install it

- Optional -
If you wish to have AutoRipDVD also compress your rips, then go to http://handbrake.fr/downloads2.php and download and install the latest version of Handbrake

Next go download

AutoRipDVD and install it (this simply extracts all the scripts)

If you prefer a zipped up version click here

(If you have trouble downloading the files, please read this post)

The AutoRipDVD.bat configuration file should automatically open on install for first time setup.

Configure Script:

Now that these have been installed its time to customize the script to your system.

AutoRipDVD.bat should have opened up in notepad automatically for you to configure. If it did not, then

- Navigate to where you installed AutoRipDVD.exe to.
- Right click on AutoRipDVD.bat and click edit

You will see at the top there are a number of options you can change. ** BE CAREFUL IN THIS FILE OR YOU MAY BREAK IT **

Here is what the top of this file looks like:

Code:
@Echo offSetlocal enableextensions
::*********************************************************************************************
::*** AutoRipDVD is brought to you by Spinalcracker
::*********************************************************************************************
::
::***  Change the following variables to match your setup
::*** DriveLetter=The drive letter of your DVD or Blu-Ray drive ie. D: or G: etc
::------------------------------
Set DriveLetter=D:
::*** RipDir=Where you want your DVD ripped to ie. your xbmc movie folder *BE SURE TO INCLUDE TRAILING \
Set RipDir=E:\Movies\
::*** IntDir=Where you installed MakeMKV to
::----------------------------------------
Set IntDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV
::----------------------------------------
::*** ScriptPath=Where the files for this script are located with trailing "\" ie. Where AutoRipComplete.vbs & Beep.vbs are located *BE SURE TO INCLUDE TRAILING \
::------------------------------------
Set ScriptPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoRipDVD\
::*** RipMinSeconds=Minimum time in seconds that should be ripped off disk to avoid getting previews etc.  Default is 3600 seconds or 1 hour
::---------------------
Set RipMinSeconds=3600
::---------------------
::*** Using Handbrake to compress - Yes or No?
Set Handbrake=No

It is pretty self explanatory. Simply change the parts on the "Set" lines after the "=" to whatever applies to your system and save the file and close your text editor (ie notepad).

By default Handbrake compression is disabled. This is because encoding a 2 hour video can take up to 8-12 hours depending on the size of the file and power of your computer. Using this to compress your ripped video may slow down your system DRASTICALLY during the process. That said; if you wish to enable Handbrake to encode your video to 720p in a smaller file size then make sure you have Handbrake installed and then change in AutoRipDVD.bat

Code:
Set Handbrake=No

to read

Code:
Set Handbrake=Yes

If you wish to tweak the encoding settings I have already set, please find more information on what is available to you here:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

The settings to change can be found at the top of the AutoRipDVD.bat file. The following lines affect Handbrake compression:

Code:
Set Handbrake=No
Set Handbrakepath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Handbrake\
Set X264=b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:me=umh:bframes=5:ref=6:direct=auto:trellis=2:subq=10:psy-rd=1.0,0.10:analyse=all
Set FORMAT=--optimize --format mkv
Set QUALITY=--ab 64 --mixdown mono --quality 23 -e x264 -x %X264%
Set SIZE=--width 1280 --height 720

Configure XBMC:

Make sure you have the Advanced Launcher addon installed.

- Create a new launcher
- Navigate to where you installed AutoRipDVD.exe and select the file "LaunchAutoRipDVD.exe"
- Change the icon to "AutoRipIcon.jpg" that is in the same folder (or any other icon you prefer)
- Set the Launcher as a favourite

Using AutoRipDVD:

- Place a disc in the drive in your windows based HTPC
- Go to your favourites and run AutoRipDVD
- You will see a splash screen letting you know the program is beginning the rip. You may continue to use your XBMC system (except the dvd drive of course), while AutoRipDVD does it's thing.
- Once the rip is complete the program will beep once and eject the disc (If you have enabled Handbrake compression this could take a very long time)
- Update your library and your movie should now be there
- Enjoy Smile

Note for 32-Bit Windows Users:

One thing that I should point out as well, is that the script is set to run the 64bit version. If you have a 32 bit version of windows running, then change in AutoRipDVD.bat the following by removing the number 64:

Code:
cd /d "%IntDir%"
makemkvcon64.exe --minlength=%RipMinSeconds% mkv disc:0 all "%RipDir%%volid%"

So it reads like this for 32 bit

Code:
cd /d "%IntDir%"
makemkvcon.exe --minlength=%RipMinSeconds% mkv disc:0 all "%RipDir%%volid%"

Tips & Tricks:

- Multiple Language Selection - To have it rip specific languages you must edit a MakeMKV file (default.mmcp.xml) - see this post

- TV Shows? - You can install AutoRipDVD twice into different install directories, having one setup for movies and one setup for tv shows. Just be sure to set your paths correctly in AutoRipDVD.bat, as well as change the minimum rip time from 3600 down to something less than the length of your tv shows for that install. Then setup two launchers, one for TV Shows and one for Movies and you are all set to rip your media collection into your library

- Minimizing? - This is a bit of a bug caused by the splash screen's. Setting XBMC in the system settings to run in a Fullscreen window instead of True fullscreen will stop XBMC from minimizing.

Advanced Users Version - brought to you by Akevit

For a more sophisticated version please take a look at this post by Akevit. He has modified the code to take AutoRipDVD to another level. This version is recommended if you want to do more than simple rips and consider yourself a Windows and XBMC power user. His code can be found here.

Known Issues:

- AutoRipDVD's splash screens are minimizing XBMC when running in a true fullscreen environment. Switching to Fullscreen Windowed Mode in the System settings resolves this

- AutoRipDVD uses Handbrake to compress and re-encode the video it rips. This process, if interrupted (System crash, power outage etc) will require you to manually delete the video folder and files it created and start again. The script cannot resume a rip.

- AutoRipDVD uses the volume name of the disc in the process of renaming the movie files to be library (and scrapper) friendly. If the volume name is nothing like the movie then the scrappers can not match the movie. This should never really be a problem with any legit purchased movies, but if you have disc's with volume names like "NEW" or "AwesomeFlick1" then you may run into problems

- AutoRipDVD defaults to ripping any stream 1 hour long or longer. This can be changed in the settings in AutoRipDVD.bat to any min time you wish, but in some cases, some dvd's have multiple lengthy streams. You can simply delete from within XBMC any stream that is not correct and this actually happens pretty rarely, but wanted to explain why it happens.

- AutoRipDVD is a bit of a hack. lol. I welcome any python developer seeing this to create a proper plugin for us all to use. Just please credit this original hack back to me as I am not a programmer so fairly proud I blundered my way through this on my own to something functional.

Change Log:

08/06/2012
- Fixed major bug causing rips to be deleted

07/14/2012
- Added the ability to compress a rip using Handbrake (720p default in x264 MKV container)
- Reworked the config portion of AutoRipDVD.bat to allow tweaking of new compression feature
- Repacked the installer for an improved experience.

Wow ok I know I'm late on this but with the absence of the "rip cd" option for kodi v16 (windows 10) I think it would be a great idea to add something for that as well. Big Grin
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One Button DVD/BluRay Ripping using a Launcher from within XBMC9