• 113(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-10-16, 19:51)mcord Wrote: So there was an issue or likely me not entering things correctly?

I didn't change anything, just verified it. Be sure to use a capital 'o' in the curl command

worked fine here on my openelec standalone setup - asus chromebox

thanks Matt - now I don't have to pull the machine out of the equipment room to update it Smile
in theory the firmware updates should be few and far between at this point, but the capability is nice to have Smile
(2014-10-16, 09:06)Matt Devo Wrote: major script update:

- updated to support running under any Linux OS
- added separate firmware update script for bash-less OS, eg OpenELEC
- switched to using OpenELEC disc image for standalone media creation
- reduced unnecessary script verbosity
- updated coreboot firmware to upstream/master HEAD; includes numerous ACPI fixes
- updated SeaBIOS payload to upstream/master HEAD
- updated to support new Acer/Dell Haswell-based ChromeBox models

eventually the separate firmware update script will become a fully-automated XBMC add-on, if I ever get the time Smile

Matt, thanks to you (and countless others who've worked on OpenELEC and XBMC) this device is the best streaming and media playback device I have ever owned by a long shot. ChromeOS is icing on the cake.
(2014-10-16, 16:48)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-10-16, 09:46)Sunflux Wrote: Hmm, can't do a standalone BIOS update:

looks like it didn't correctly download the 'latest version' file from dropbox, I've thrown a check in for that. Try again?

Worked this time! (And I did try re-downloading the script several times earlier...)
Hmm. Not so sure I'm liking this new firmware. Left the system off for a few hours, and when I came back, for the first time *ever* it wouldn't wake up by remote. And then when I forced it on with the power button, the USB audio stick was non-functional as well (also the first time ever) until after a reboot.

Is there any way to downgrade to your previous release? I'm not looking to do that at this instant, but if this issue happens again it might be wise...
I'll see if I can reproduce that here, but it didn't show up when I tested before posting. In any case, I do keep an archive of all of my previous posted firmware versions, so rolling back would not be a problem, if it does in fact end up being a firmware issue.

As of right now, I'm able to suspend/resume with a MCE IR remote, a PS3 BT remote, and via WOL using the YATSE Android app, repeatedly and reliably. No audio issues after resuming, on either of my ChromeBoxes - one using HDMI audio, one using USB/SPDIF
It works fine now if I do it quickly on and off, but it was a 4+ hour period of time in sleep that triggered the issue. The power button still worked, and after that I could resume/suspend by remote, but that's when I noticed that I wasn't getting any audio (despite the USB stick's LEDs indicating it was active), and videos had these lengthy pauses on playback/stop (likely due to the selected audio device being non-responsive). Then I rebooted, and everything resumed working as it should.

I'll wait to see if the issue happens again before doing anything further.

Nice to hear that you keep backups - because the previous release was working well, but I was wooed by the promise of ACPI fixes. :-)
I've got my dev box in suspend now, will see how it behaves when I wake up in the AM.

the ACPI stuff mainly affected table names, and a dummy device that Windows didn't like. Nothing that should have any effect on resume from suspend or USB device init upon resume.
Code:
I updated ChromeOS from the Stable channel to the Beta channel Version 38.0.2125.101 beta (64-bit) a few weeks ago. Everything has been working fine.

Today I tried to do a standalone BIOS update but unfortunately the update is failing.

curl -L -O http://goo.gl/HSZer4
sudo bash HSZer4

When I run HSZer4 I see the following errors.

Problem1: Exists on both OpenELEC and ChromeOS
----------------------------------------------
dmesg | grep DMI now returns
DMI: GOOGLE Panther, BIOS Google_Panther.4920.24.25 05/12/2014    [ChromeoS]
DMI: GOOGLE Panther, BIOS          05/12/2014            [OpenELEC]
     ^^^^^^^
HSZer4 line 48 is looking for "DMI: Google Panther". I was able to correct this by making the grep case insensitive (changing-m1 to -im1). The HSZer4 script continues and says that this script is going to install a newer firmware version.

Problem2: ChromeOS specific running Beta Channel only
------------------------------------------------------
Next, I get the error "Failure reading current firmware; cannot proceed"
This failure is occurring since /tmp is mounted with he noexec option which prevents executables running from /tmp
I fixed this by making the following changes.

tmpdir=/usr/local/tmp
mkdir -p $tmpdir
flashromcmd="$tmpdir/flashrom"
cbfstoolcmd="$tmpdir/cbfstool"
cd $tmpdir   (rather than cd /tmp)

Problem3: Exists on both OpenELEC and ChromeOS
---------------------------------------------
$tmdir/cbfstool bios.bin extract vpd.bin -f vpd.bin
E: File not found: vpd.bin
Failure extracting MAC address from current firmware

Not sure how to fix this one.

I did go back and install the stable version of ChromeOS. Problem 1 and Problem 3 remained. The Problem 2 changes are no longer required however the changes made are still compatible.

I am assuming that installing the Beta channel updated the firmware although I have no way to confirm this. If this version of firmware is what will be coming in a future update then can support be added for this firmware version? If not then how do I recover?

Thanks,
Geoff..
Geoff,

the problem is that you are running the wrong script. As it says in the OP:

Quote:This script is only intended to update a ChromeBox already running my custom coreboot firmware, and will not work under ChromeOS/ChromiumOS.

If you're running the stock firmware, you must run the main EZ Setup script from ChromeOS to flash the coreboot firmware.

PS: Google currently has no mechanism in place to update the stock firmware on ChromeOS devices. Updating ChromeOS will in no way change the stock firmware.

(2014-10-17, 07:09)Sunflux Wrote: It works fine now if I do it quickly on and off, but it was a 4+ hour period of time in sleep that triggered the issue. The power button still worked, and after that I could resume/suspend by remote, but that's when I noticed that I wasn't getting any audio (despite the USB stick's LEDs indicating it was active), and videos had these lengthy pauses on playback/stop (likely due to the selected audio device being non-responsive). Then I rebooted, and everything resumed working as it should.

I'll wait to see if the issue happens again before doing anything further.

Nice to hear that you keep backups - because the previous release was working well, but I was wooed by the promise of ACPI fixes. :-)

no issues resuming 6+hrs later
(2014-10-17, 16:31)Matt Devo Wrote: no issues resuming 6+hrs later

So far agreed... it hasn't happened to me again. Might have been an unfortunately timed quirk, or it's something that's erratic. I'll keep an eye on it.
Hi, i have the same problem as Jimmulus and you answer that.

Quote:Jimmulus Wrote:
Hi Matt,

I am a bit ashamed to say i did a factory reset with openelec running.

When i startup i get this message, discussed earlier

(SeaBIOS (version -20140706_180417-build120-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

The problem i have is that keyboards are no longer working (tried 2, wired and wireless), So i can't get into developer mode.

Is there any way to restore the chromebox?

Thanks in advance.

your SeaBIOS build string indicates you are running the stock version, which does not allow for any keyboard input due to broken USB support. You need to press [CTRL-D] *before* the black SeaBIOS screen displays in order to run ChromeOS / re-run the script.

but i can't press ctrl-D , it's never work, do you have a other solution ?

Also i have try to do a framework reset but it's does nothing.always this screen.

Quote:(SeaBIOS (version -20140706_180417-build120-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

KASLR using RDRAND...

Booting the kernel.
(2014-10-18, 17:46)warp123 Wrote: but i can't press ctrl-D , it's never work, do you have a other solution ?

Also i have try to do a framework reset but it's does nothing.always this screen.

Quote:(SeaBIOS (version -20140706_180417-build120-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

KASLR using RDRAND...

Booting the kernel.

there is no other solution, short of flashing the BIOS chip directly with a chip programmer to reset the boot flags. This is just what happens when you do a factory reset without first resetting the boot flags; the (only) solution is to boot to ChromeOS using [CTRL-D] before SeaBIOS loads. Find a working keyboard and go from there
Hey Matt,

I'm trying to update the coreboot version of my Asus ChromeBox on Openelec but it fails with the following message:

Code:
Reading current firmware
Failure extracting MAC address from current firmware.

This is most likely caused because I was using some previous version that changed the mac address to a default one.
Is there any way to restore the mac address using Openelec or do I completely need to restore it in order to use this update script?

Thanks!
  • 113(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37