• 114(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-10-18, 19:48)JD2k3 Wrote: Hey Matt,

I'm trying to update the coreboot version of my Asus ChromeBox on Openelec but it fails with the following message:

Code:
Reading current firmware
Failure extracting MAC address from current firmware.

This is most likely caused because I was using some previous version that changed the mac address to a default one.
Is there any way to restore the mac address using Openelec or do I completely need to restore it in order to use this update script?

Thanks!

Same issue here.. any idea ?
(2014-10-18, 19:48)JD2k3 Wrote: Hey Matt,

I'm trying to update the coreboot version of my Asus ChromeBox on Openelec but it fails with the following message:

Code:
Reading current firmware
Failure extracting MAC address from current firmware.

This is most likely caused because I was using some previous version that changed the mac address to a default one.
Is there any way to restore the mac address using Openelec or do I completely need to restore it in order to use this update script?

Thanks!

(2014-10-18, 20:04)Netix Wrote: Same issue here.. any idea ?

assuming you have your stock firmware backed up, you can:

1) boot to another OS (on USB) that can run the full EZ setup script, which can extract the MAC address info from a stock firmware backup file.
2) if the above doesn't work, re-flash your stock firmware, then re-run the EZ setup script to flash the coreboot firmware (no reboot needed in between the two flashes)

or, if you don't have a stock firmware backup or don't care about the unique MAC address:

3) re-run the standalone updater script now that I've modified it to just make the MAC address persistence a warning vs an error
(2014-10-18, 20:51)Matt Devo Wrote: assuming you have your stock firmware backed up, you can:

1) boot to another OS (on USB) that can run the full EZ setup script, which can extract the MAC address info from a stock firmware backup file.
2) if the above doesn't work, re-flash your stock firmware, then re-run the EZ setup script to flash the coreboot firmware (no reboot needed in between the two flashes)

or, if you don't have a stock firmware backup or don't care about the unique MAC address:

3) re-run the standalone updater script now that I've modified it to just make the MAC address persistence a warning vs an error

Thanks for the quick fix option 3 worked fine this time Cool
Just trying to install openelec and even though I see the menu with sandisk ssd and my usb key, esc does nothing and then it wants to start from the internal ssd. I even tried different keyboards. Why can't I choose the usb key to boot (I tried several keys too)? the bios is SeaBIOS 20141016 from Matt. It just doesn't wait at all and try to boot right away from the ssd, and hangs.
(2014-10-18, 23:03)Loicvan Wrote: Just trying to install openelec and even though I see the menu with sandisk ssd and my usb key, esc does nothing and then it wants to start from the internal ssd. I even tried different keyboards. Why can't I choose the usb key to boot (I tried several keys too)? the bios is SeaBIOS 20141016 from Matt. It just doesn't wait at all and try to boot right away from the ssd, and hangs.

that doesn't make sense - you don't see the menu with boot devices unless you first hit ESC, so if you are seeing the menu, it is recognizing you pressing ESC. Once you hit ESC and the menu is displayed, the only inputs that are recognized are the numbers corresponding to the displayed boot devices. Prior to the display of the boot menu, if you hit any key other than ESC, it will immediately boot the first boot device (internal HDD)
(2014-10-15, 04:15)xi_Slick_ix Wrote: First off, big thanks to Matt Devo.

Sorry ahead of time if this has been mentioned, 100 pages is a lot to cover.

I have the M004u, dual booting Xubuntu & ChromeOS. That connects to a Pioneer VSX-822-K over hdmi (more on that in a moment), and then to my TV over hdmi.

The reason I mention the receiver is that I am having really odd audio issues. Initially, before I setup dual booting, (in ChromeOS) I had no audio. Then, after setting up Xubuntu (Pulse Audio), I get no audio (built in audio player, system sounds, Pandora and Netflix in chrome, etc.). In XBMC on Xubuntu, I get audio from DTS-HD, DTS, and Dolby audio tracks in movies, but basically nothing 2-channel based (MP3's, etc.). I've read that Pulse Audio is currently broken on this device in Ubuntu, so, here come the questions:
  • Anyone know if there are issues with receivers (specifically Pioneer's) and Chromebox? This receiver handled Crystalbuntu on the OG Apple TV great.
  • Is Pulse Audio just outright broken on 4th generation Intel Devices in Linux, period? I'll assume this is Intel's fault until corrected.
  • If Pulse Audio is not broken on the Chromebox / *ubuntu, is there a different version number or distro that I should be / can be using (Ex. Arch?)? (I still definitely want Netflix working, though I'm fine with using pipelight if necessary.)
  • Is Alsa audio the only way get consistent audio in XBMC currently in *ubuntu 14?

-Sorry if I misspelled / listed wrong stats - Bourbon & Coke before dinner gets me every time.

Thanks!

I have a similar setup with a Pioneer receiver and have the same issues. It sounds like it affects all Pioneer HDMI receivers connected to a 4th gen Intel NUC. It seems that there is an Intel driver issue when running at 1080p where the Pioneer receiver won't handshake properly and the sound won't output. If you use a lower resolution the issue goes away. It's actually only 48khz audio that won't play properly (which is most PC audio, passthrough audio seems to work fine) that's why your 2 channel mp3's likely play (since CD's are 44khz). Based on all the other driver issues Intel has to deal with and their lack of updates in various threads on their forum about this issue I doubt it gets fixed anytime soon.

There is a thread with more info on the OpenELEC forums about the issue and a workaround fix but unfortunately the fix is only for OpenELEC. The workaround is to have XBMC downsample all non-passthrough audio at 48khz. It's not a great workaround and you probably won't like it if you're an audiophile. For me it works, I can't tell the difference, it mostly only affects the XBMC menus anyways. I have been providing my custom builds with the fix in that thread if you want to try that setup.

Here's the thread: http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/67773-...channel-ok
OK, I was able to get it by pressing 2 right after escape, for some reason it wouldn't wait for me to choose otherwise. All is good. Sorry Matt.
(2014-10-19, 01:01)mdumont1 Wrote:
(2014-10-15, 04:15)xi_Slick_ix Wrote: First off, big thanks to Matt Devo.

Sorry ahead of time if this has been mentioned, 100 pages is a lot to cover.

I have the M004u, dual booting Xubuntu & ChromeOS. That connects to a Pioneer VSX-822-K over hdmi (more on that in a moment), and then to my TV over hdmi.

The reason I mention the receiver is that I am having really odd audio issues. Initially, before I setup dual booting, (in ChromeOS) I had no audio. Then, after setting up Xubuntu (Pulse Audio), I get no audio (built in audio player, system sounds, Pandora and Netflix in chrome, etc.). In XBMC on Xubuntu, I get audio from DTS-HD, DTS, and Dolby audio tracks in movies, but basically nothing 2-channel based (MP3's, etc.). I've read that Pulse Audio is currently broken on this device in Ubuntu, so, here come the questions:
  • Anyone know if there are issues with receivers (specifically Pioneer's) and Chromebox? This receiver handled Crystalbuntu on the OG Apple TV great.
  • Is Pulse Audio just outright broken on 4th generation Intel Devices in Linux, period? I'll assume this is Intel's fault until corrected.
  • If Pulse Audio is not broken on the Chromebox / *ubuntu, is there a different version number or distro that I should be / can be using (Ex. Arch?)? (I still definitely want Netflix working, though I'm fine with using pipelight if necessary.)
  • Is Alsa audio the only way get consistent audio in XBMC currently in *ubuntu 14?

-Sorry if I misspelled / listed wrong stats - Bourbon & Coke before dinner gets me every time.

Thanks!

I have a similar setup with a Pioneer receiver and have the same issues. It sounds like it affects all Pioneer HDMI receivers connected to a 4th gen Intel NUC. It seems that there is an Intel driver issue when running at 1080p where the Pioneer receiver won't handshake properly and the sound won't output. If you use a lower resolution the issue goes away. It's actually only 48khz audio that won't play properly (which is most PC audio, passthrough audio seems to work fine) that's why your 2 channel mp3's likely play (since CD's are 44khz). Based on all the other driver issues Intel has to deal with and their lack of updates in various threads on their forum about this issue I doubt it gets fixed anytime soon.

There is a thread with more info on the OpenELEC forums about the issue and a workaround fix but unfortunately the fix is only for OpenELEC. The workaround is to have XBMC downsample all non-passthrough audio at 48khz. It's not a great workaround and you probably won't like it if you're an audiophile. For me it works, I can't tell the difference, it mostly only affects the XBMC menus anyways. I have been providing my custom builds with the fix in that thread if you want to try that setup.

Here's the thread: http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/67773-...channel-ok

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering if we (NUC / Chromebox & Pioneer owners) can't tweak EDID values to effectively override whatever information is being improperly sent or lost. Obviously sending static information all the time to the receiver has some drawbacks compared to the receiver and chromebox dynamically updating as necessary, but it could make a band aid for this issue until the drivers get patched. This would need a different thread as it is really specialized to a subset of users, but seems like it would be applicable to a lot of people.
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
Just got pointed over to the ChromeBox so I'm a noob on this subject. Just curious if anyone here is familiar with the old Acer Revo 1600 nettop boxes (Intel ATOM / NVIDIA ION) and can tell me in what areas the ChromeBox would offer a real world improvement. I started up threads about the Revo 1600 a long time ago and experimented with Windows XP and Windows 7, and upgraded the RAM on it. I eventually settled on an OpenElec install on the one I use in my living room for streaming full-bitrate Blu-ray rips. But I found it to be too slow to try to run Windows 7 Media Center on, and I still wish I could more easily play Netflix and other apps like that on it, so I pretty much use it in conjunction with either an Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV, and and Xbox 360 (for live TV / PVR - I use Windows Media Center and Plex Media Server on a central server).
I have a revo 1600 and two revo 3700's. The 1600 is pretty slow - single core. The ION chipset in it is also inferior in some aspects to the ION2 chipset in the 3700's.

The 1600 is in my stepson's room (can't recall what he did to deserve that). I haven't used it myself for ages, in fact the room of a 15 year old male is too repulsive to contemplate.

You'll find a CB much faster through the menus and stuff, that aspect is pretty well governed by the CPU and the 2955 in a CB is far superior to the single core Atom in a Revo 1600.

As for playback, the ION hardware is very good under linux (incl openelec of course) and is hard to beat. But I have a celeron 1037u which is inferior to the 2955, and it works very well. Maybe my eyes are too tired, but it looks as good as the ION2 stuff to me.

TL;DR - I think it will be an improvement for you!

I have no experience with windows with any of these platforms, but get at least 4G RAM if you want windows. There is another thread here somewhere about windows on CB.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-12, 04:53)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-12, 04:52)c0mm0n Wrote:
(2014-09-11, 18:45)Matt Devo Wrote: I get that, and it sucks, I'm just saying there's no easy fix for the HP. Many people were wondering if it were a firmware issue or simply a noisy part, and that's not the case.

Thanks Matt for confirming that, I'll get rid of the HP and wait for the Dell.
Might want to wait until I have a chance to play with it first, just to be safe Smile

Anyone got it ? Feedback ? (read latest pages haven't found any details bar you we're already up for it, congrats!)

Thx for your work, lots of improvements.

(Have finally sold the HP... using the NUC i3.)
https://plus.google.com/1156935452875979...jXZ2SyhVye

tl;dr - thermal design closer to HP than Asus, fan noise slightly louder than Asus. 2 sodimm slots, Intel wifi card. No reason to recommend it over the Asus really.
I've been using a 2010 Mac Mini for a few years, but have thought about trying a Chromebox. In the heavier skins I get a little bit of lag scrolling through movies with fanart, nothing excessive, but just enough that I thought maybe I should get something newer and I like to tinker anyways, and the Mac Minis have good resale value.

I googled the comparison between the Core 2 Duo in my Mac vs the Celeron 2955 and they were nearly identical in benchmarking, with the C2D coming out just ever so slightly ahead. That made me think maybe it's not worth it. Will the superior Haswell graphics (Mini has Geforce 320M) play a role in speeding it up? With a skin like Aeon Nox is browsing the library as snappy as it gets?
FWIW, I've tested many of the common skins, including Aeon Nox, and have never had a single bit of lag or slowdown. Benchmarks are just that, and these Haswell chips are a lot faster than the old Core2 architecture, regardless of what benchmarks say. My old setup was a C2D + Nvidia GT210, and the ChromeBox is faster/better in every aspect.
(2014-10-22, 21:30)Matt Devo Wrote: FWIW, I've tested many of the common skins, including Aeon Nox, and have never had a single bit of lag or slowdown. Benchmarks are just that, and these Haswell chips are a lot faster than the old Core2 architecture, regardless of what benchmarks say. My old setup was a C2D + Nvidia GT210, and the ChromeBox is faster/better in every aspect.

Excellent, thanks, with two-day Amazon Prime shipping looks like I have a fun project for this weekend
  • 114(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37