• 115(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
If you've had the Mac Mini for a few years you need a new toy anyway...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-10-22, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote: https://plus.google.com/1156935452875979...jXZ2SyhVye

tl;dr - thermal design closer to HP than Asus, fan noise slightly louder than Asus. 2 sodimm slots, Intel wifi card. No reason to recommend it over the Asus really.

You rock, thanks.

Can we donate ? I lack time to help for anything, but you just saved le another wasted "HP" by buying one.

Asus Chromebox is still 250$ in Europe... while I had a promo for the HP at 130...
(2014-10-20, 16:21)xi_Slick_ix Wrote:
(2014-10-19, 01:01)mdumont1 Wrote:
(2014-10-15, 04:15)xi_Slick_ix Wrote: First off, big thanks to Matt Devo.

Sorry ahead of time if this has been mentioned, 100 pages is a lot to cover.

I have the M004u, dual booting Xubuntu & ChromeOS. That connects to a Pioneer VSX-822-K over hdmi (more on that in a moment), and then to my TV over hdmi.

The reason I mention the receiver is that I am having really odd audio issues. Initially, before I setup dual booting, (in ChromeOS) I had no audio. Then, after setting up Xubuntu (Pulse Audio), I get no audio (built in audio player, system sounds, Pandora and Netflix in chrome, etc.). In XBMC on Xubuntu, I get audio from DTS-HD, DTS, and Dolby audio tracks in movies, but basically nothing 2-channel based (MP3's, etc.). I've read that Pulse Audio is currently broken on this device in Ubuntu, so, here come the questions:
  • Anyone know if there are issues with receivers (specifically Pioneer's) and Chromebox? This receiver handled Crystalbuntu on the OG Apple TV great.
  • Is Pulse Audio just outright broken on 4th generation Intel Devices in Linux, period? I'll assume this is Intel's fault until corrected.
  • If Pulse Audio is not broken on the Chromebox / *ubuntu, is there a different version number or distro that I should be / can be using (Ex. Arch?)? (I still definitely want Netflix working, though I'm fine with using pipelight if necessary.)
  • Is Alsa audio the only way get consistent audio in XBMC currently in *ubuntu 14?

-Sorry if I misspelled / listed wrong stats - Bourbon & Coke before dinner gets me every time.

Thanks!

I have a similar setup with a Pioneer receiver and have the same issues. It sounds like it affects all Pioneer HDMI receivers connected to a 4th gen Intel NUC. It seems that there is an Intel driver issue when running at 1080p where the Pioneer receiver won't handshake properly and the sound won't output. If you use a lower resolution the issue goes away. It's actually only 48khz audio that won't play properly (which is most PC audio, passthrough audio seems to work fine) that's why your 2 channel mp3's likely play (since CD's are 44khz). Based on all the other driver issues Intel has to deal with and their lack of updates in various threads on their forum about this issue I doubt it gets fixed anytime soon.

There is a thread with more info on the OpenELEC forums about the issue and a workaround fix but unfortunately the fix is only for OpenELEC. The workaround is to have XBMC downsample all non-passthrough audio at 48khz. It's not a great workaround and you probably won't like it if you're an audiophile. For me it works, I can't tell the difference, it mostly only affects the XBMC menus anyways. I have been providing my custom builds with the fix in that thread if you want to try that setup.

Here's the thread: http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/67773-...channel-ok

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering if we (NUC / Chromebox & Pioneer owners) can't tweak EDID values to effectively override whatever information is being improperly sent or lost. Obviously sending static information all the time to the receiver has some drawbacks compared to the receiver and chromebox dynamically updating as necessary, but it could make a band aid for this issue until the drivers get patched. This would need a different thread as it is really specialized to a subset of users, but seems like it would be applicable to a lot of people.

Ok, after reading around the forum, the EDID tweaking option if probably fubar. Guess I'll just have to hurry up and wait for Intel to get this right...
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
(2014-10-23, 16:37)c0mm0n Wrote: You rock, thanks.

Can we donate ? I lack time to help for anything, but you just saved le another wasted "HP" by buying one.

Asus Chromebox is still 250$ in Europe... while I had a promo for the HP at 130...

sure, paypal to my email listed at the top of the script (in screenshot on first post)

(2014-10-23, 17:03)xi_Slick_ix Wrote: Ok, after reading around the forum, the EDID tweaking option if probably fubar. Guess I'll just have to hurry up and wait for Intel to get this right...

I only looked at it briefly, but it didn't seem like a bad option to me. Which aspect looks problematic?
(2014-10-16, 17:49)onizuka Wrote: For us idiots on the thread....if we're running standalone Openelec, all we need to do is use your new standalone firmware updater script from an SSH terminal...i.e Putty

then....

curl -L -O http://goo.gl/HSZer4
bash HSZer4

....and then we have the latest and greatest?

worked perfect :-)

logged in via Putty

executed the code

thanks to Matt and everyone for the suggestions and guidance !
I was wondering if the k400 is fixed with developer mode yet? Or is there a cheapish keyboard with trackpad combo that will work?
(2014-10-24, 14:07)Thoir Wrote: I was wondering if the k400 is fixed with developer mode yet? Or is there a cheapish keyboard with trackpad combo that will work?

I'm not sure there is any way to fix it, since it's an issue with the stock firmware and/or the K400 needing more than just basic BIOS initialization. It's not an issue with the unifying receiver since plenty of other Logitech keyboards work (like the K360 I use). Unfortunately I do not have any suggestions for a keyboard/trackpad replacement.
(2014-10-24, 16:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-10-24, 14:07)Thoir Wrote: I was wondering if the k400 is fixed with developer mode yet? Or is there a cheapish keyboard with trackpad combo that will work?

I'm not sure there is any way to fix it, since it's an issue with the stock firmware and/or the K400 needing more than just basic BIOS initialization. It's not an issue with the unifying receiver since plenty of other Logitech keyboards work (like the K360 I use). Unfortunately I do not have any suggestions for a keyboard/trackpad replacement.

The Logitech TK820 can often be found for $50 (Woot, Dailysteals, NewEgg, eBay, ) as a refurb. Works great and it's a much much better unit than the k400: better range, bigger better track pad, and the build quality is a night and day difference.

I've got a couple, and both work great with Chromeboxes, including the developer screen. The refurbs are as good as new, but they don't come with batteries.
Got this up and running in about 10 minutes last night, excellent work making this so easy.

The only issue I had was the TV I had it plugged into during the setup (Panasonic P50X1) has overscan issues so the edges of the screen were cutoff, and a couple times I had to guess at what I needed to enter

It's definitely faster than my 2010 Mac Mini so far, scrolling through menus is as fast as I can click, and the couple of movies where I had some minor issues playback on the Mac played perfectly
(2014-10-26, 20:18)aaronb Wrote: The only issue I had was the TV I had it plugged into during the setup (Panasonic P50X1) has overscan issues so the edges of the screen were cutoff, and a couple times I had to guess at what I needed to enter

The overscan issue can be solved by pressing the TV remote menu button, selecting picture and then setting "Viewing Mode" to THX. This setting is per input, so setting this for the Chromebox HDMI input will not affect other AV inputs.

Geoff..
(2014-10-26, 20:52)gkingsmill Wrote:
(2014-10-26, 20:18)aaronb Wrote: The only issue I had was the TV I had it plugged into during the setup (Panasonic P50X1) has overscan issues so the edges of the screen were cutoff, and a couple times I had to guess at what I needed to enter

The overscan issue can be solved by pressing the TV remote menu button, selecting picture and then setting "Viewing Mode" to THX. This setting is per input, so setting this for the Chromebox HDMI input will not affect other AV inputs.

Geoff..

I have another Chromebox coming that I'll need to setup, good to know, thanks
I had the same screen size issues on a Samsung plasma, but fixed it with TV settings.

Matt Devo, just wanted to say thanks. I have now set 2 of these things up in dual boot Chrome OS + OpenELEC with no issues. This coming from somebody that's never even done a clean windows install, as an example of my technical expertise.

Actually there was one issue. When trying to save a Chrome OS restore back-up, the recovery tool app will not install on a Chromebox running Chrome OS version 38. Instead I dl'd the image directly as per the xmbc wiki and all was well.
(2014-10-28, 19:09)techmd Wrote: I had the same screen size issues on a Samsung plasma, but fixed it with TV settings.

Matt Devo, just wanted to say thinks. I have now set 2 of these things up with no issues. This coming from somebody that's never even done a clean windows install, as an example of my technical expertise.

Actually there was one issue. When trying to save a Chrome OS restore back-up, the recovery tool app will not install on a Chromebox running Chrome OS version 38. Instead I dl'd the image directly as per the xmbc wiki and all was well.

glad everything went smoothly for you. I've never messed with google's recovery tools, always just write the image file directly, which is why I put it in the wiki Smile. Most people won't even need to bother as it's only needed as prep for dual-boot setup.
I have my CB to suspend after 5min inactivity. Is there a way to schedule an update library task that would resume/update/suspend my CB ?
(2014-10-29, 06:30)Netix Wrote: I have my CB to suspend after 5min inactivity. Is there a way to schedule an update library task that would resume/update/suspend my CB ? Or a script that would update my library on resume ?

You don't mention an operating system but I assume linux.

Ubuntu is dealt with here http://askubuntu.com/questions/226278/ru...-on-wakeup

If you are using openelec, there may be something needs to go in ~/.config.

Here we are, look what google found for me http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Creati...me_Scripts

If you are looking for the command to run, I can trigger a library update with this
Code:
curl --data-binary '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Scan", "id": "mybash"}' -H 'content-type: application/json;' http://127.0.0.1:8080/jsonrpc
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 115(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37