Best OS for xbmc?
Hi guys,

I have recently switched to a wireless network hard drive. I have an old laptop that I'd like to use to get xbmc in my living room. I'm gonna to wipe the laptop as its pretty crappy but wondered which os would be best? I assume the more barebones the better to run xbmc on a bad computer? I have no experience of linux so talk noob. Thanks.
I have been trying to run an old M1530 through HDMI using XBMCbuntu. XBMCbuntu is definitely the most "barebones" way to go for this application, but if you run into installation headaches, like I have, you may considering running XBMC from Windows or whatever OS you used previously. I am going to try XBMC through Windows when I get home to test HDMI audio out and see if it solves my issues.

Good luck, brave soul, Linux is a fun OS to dink around in, but I like you was a novice when I started this a month or so again and am feeling frankly quite defeated.
Thanks for the advise. Ill look into xbmcbuntu.
If you just want to run XBMC and don't need a desktop, I recommend OpenELEC. It installs extremely quickly and boots a good bit faster than XBMCbuntu as well.

Quote:Good luck, brave soul, Linux is a fun OS to dink around in, but I like you was a novice when I started this a month or so again and am feeling frankly quite defeated.

If you have issues with XBMCbuntu or OpenELEC, remember that they are purposefully stripped down in order to offer an appliance feel. Perhaps you should see if you still have the same issues on a full Ubuntu or Linux Mint install.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Ive found the quickest system is to install xbmc live 10.1 ( dharma ) then update to eden.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
The non-windows/OSX versions don't work with Netflix, so keep that in mind if you need it. These days everything else runs netflix, I'm pretty sure my toaster runs netflix, so that may not be a concern for you.
I bought a windows surface rt tablet and when I went to download xbmc it would not open. Does anybody run xbmc on windows 8.1 and if so what do I need to do?
(2014-10-24, 06:09)bigdog Wrote: I bought a windows surface rt tablet and when I went to download xbmc it would not open. Does anybody run xbmc on windows 8.1 and if so what do I need to do?

You need to create a new thread instead of bumping old/irrelevant threads.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Windows
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS for xbmc?0