DTS-HD downsampling to ac3?
I'm trying to play a bluray iso with DTS-HD(?) audio track with my ion platform on my full HD tv. As expected(?) i get i very nice image but no sound at all.

In XBMC i've selected hdmi as audio output, 2.0 speaker config, ac3 capable receiver, deselected DTS capable receiver, output device defaults, passthrough output device hdmi. As such i was expecting xbmc would downsample the dts-hd to ac3, something mencoder seems happy with. Any ideas if i can play this movie or should i reencode the audio stream? Do note that ac3 encoded files play perfectly.

I'm running xbmc in ubuntu 10.10 on my ion platform, Asus AT3IONT-I. My xbmc.log file starts with Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 10.10, 2.6.35-27-generic i686). Built on Mar 9 2011 (Git:Unknown).

The movie details:
ffmpeg -i Movie.mkv
Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 47.95 (20000000/417083) -> 23.98 (24000/1001)
Input #0, matroska, from 'Movie.mkv':
Metadata:
doctype : matroska
Duration: 01:47:30.48, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x800 [PAR 1:1 DAR 12:5], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: dca, 48000 Hz, 6 channels, s16
Stream #0.2(eng): Subtitle: pgssub

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Any suggestions?
DTS-HD cannot be "downsampled" to AC3, they are different audio codecs. That and one is lossless (DTS-HD) while the other is lossy. So it would need to be compressed as well as transcoded. Is your receiver DTS capable? If not, you're going to have to demux and re-encode the audio to AC3 regardless.

I recently watched a ripped blu-ray on Dharma with DTS-HD, and it seems to have worked by converting to DTS (I think), because I had audio, and my receiver recognized it as a DTS bitstream. There was also a secondary DTS audio stream and I could toggle between the two.
Thanks for your reply. My ubunto box is hooked up to my philips tv model 8605 via hdmi. Seems my tv is not dts capable, it support MP3, AAC, HE-AAC V1, HE-AAC V2, WMA, AC3 according to the manual.

I was kinda hoping ubuntu/xbmc would stream something to the tv, it would understand.

Ok, seems i'm stuck with recoding. That's gonna take a while.
My TV doesn't do DTS either. Recoding just the audio shouldn't take that long. Demux, run the audio through your tool of choice then remux. I had to do that with a couple of movies not too long ago. Audio's easy, it's the video that takes forever.
Hi mc@2

If you have access to a windows box, there is a mkv audio converter that might work, read the thread here, it strips and converts the audio then rebuilds the mkv, never found it to take too long.

Found this because when I had the V1 WDTVLive box it could not send dts via hdmi so had to convert to ac3

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=20887

If unsure backup original and work on a copy, untill your happy with the result

regards
Andy
I'm on a simple ion-box so not much computing power is available. I'm using ffmpeg and mkvextract/merge to do the job
1. mkvextract tracks in.mkv 2:audio.dca
2. ffmpeg -i audio.dca -acodec ac3 -ac 2 -ab 320k audio.ac3
3. mkvmerge -o out.mkv audio.ac3
Maybe there's a faster way? I'm still awaiting the results…

It works, but it takes about 30 mins do to a movie.
Since you're using your ION box for the recode, you're probably stuck at a longer processing time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD downsampling to ac3?0