Boot from USB 3? small boot media...
I'm looking for small fast boot media.

- Can you boot a system from a USB 3 Flash disk?

- Can you boot from a e-Sata flash disk?

- Are either of these good options for booting xbmc live?
vinistois Wrote:I'm looking for small fast boot media.

- Can you boot a system from a USB 3 Flash disk?

- Can you boot from a e-Sata flash disk?

- Are either of these good options for booting xbmc live?

Dont know about usb3 I would guess yes since you can boot from usb2 just fine. I boot my xmbc instances from 8gb usb flash drives. Now I am using openelec vs live, but basically the same thing, openelec uses an embedded type linux vs ubuntu that live uses. Takes about 20 seconds to boot openelec to home xbmc screen over the USB2.0 flash drives i am using.

I assume when you say esata flash you are thinking about a ssd drive, and that should work fine too.
I was thinking of a Lacie usb3 flash ssd. They are extremely fast!

But after more digging and reading it appears the NEC usb3 controllers will not boot from USB. All the platforms I own which have USB3 have the NEC chip.

Darn!

I'm also considering using a Kingston SSDNow V+ Series 64GB 1.8IN drive. Not quite as small or fast, but still pretty small and pretty fast Wink
If you're planning on spending that much on a USB3 stick, I would recommend getting an SSD instead. They are typically longer lasting than flash drives, which are not designed for the constant read/write environment of an OS.

Booting from eSATA depends on your particular motherboard. I would recommend trying it before relying on it.

Edit: Just looked up that LaCie USB SSD. That thing is MASSIVE.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
The best option I have found so far is

OCZ vertex 2 1.8" SSD 40GB. They're just over $100, super small and slim, and in every other way identical to the 2.5" line.

Looks like its just small enough to double-side it to the inside of my case, allowing me to delete the drive tray, and fit a nice big passive cooler!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boot from USB 3? small boot media...0