Online/Offsite Backup Solutions
I'm open to some suggestions on ensuring my home data/server is backed up sufficiently as most of my media collection continues to grow.

Currently, I have a server in my basement running Ubuntu Server. The server itself runs off a CF card, and the tower has the ability to hold 8 drives.

The tower currently has 5, 1 TB Western Digital green drives in the machine in a Soft Raid 5 configuration, giving about 4TB of storage space. And I've filled about 2TB of that currently with various movies, TV shows, and documents.

But I'm worried in the event of any issues, and one day not being able to rebuild the array should multiple HD's crash, a flood or other catrasophe hit, etc.

Thus, I'm considering looking to have a backup of my data remotely someplace. I'm willing to pay for this backup service as well, and figure it could be sync'd once every 30 days, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any backup providers that are safe, secure, etc?
For this amount of space you want to look at amazon s3, tbh most of the smaller companies run their services from amazon s3 anyway so in terms of safety of the data it will be the same everywhere.

If I were you I would think about how much of that data is actually unrecovarable, it could get quite expensive to back up so much.

If its mostly just movies and TV shows all you really need is to back up your xbmc database file which has a list of them all, you would be suprised at how quickly you could redownload all of those if you new what they were in the case of a rare disaster. On a speedy connection with sickbeard and newsgroups you could have everything back in a month, certainly faster than you could watch it. (When I first downloaded the simpsons complete 4 years ago it took me a month to get that, and that was just 40gb!)

Instead concentrate on backing up your unreplacable data, your documents, photos and your rare media files
Not directly answering your question, but I would recommend not backing up 4TB of movies and TV shows. You're documents on the other hand, back them up multiple times and remotely. The only thing you are saving by backing up a movie is the time you spend re-ripping it if your drive dies - inconvenient, but hardly catastrophic.
I recommend sorting your data into "important enough to backup", and "not" categories. The stuff that's important to backup is going to be much smaller (unless you're shooting videos of the kids in HD!), and much more economical to backup remotely. Even though I have 6TB of content on my NAS, I can fit all my important stuff in a 1TB Dropbox.com account.
Justcop Wrote:If its mostly just movies and TV shows all you really need is to back up your xbmc database file which has a list of them all, you would be suprised at how quickly you could redownload all of those if you new what they were in the case of a rare disaster. On a speedy connection with sickbeard and newsgroups you could have everything back in a month, certainly faster than you could watch it. (When I first downloaded the simpsons complete 4 years ago it took me a month to get that, and that was just 40gb!)
I'm not a moderator, but you may want to re-think what you've said here - it's certainly on the edge of the forum's rules.
http://www.crashplan.com $5 a month unlimimted data. Supports Windows, OSX, Solaris and Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Online/Offsite Backup Solutions0