How to cancel?
guys, i have been using several scripts, and sometimes streaming video clips just hangs (ifilm, aq, tv streams etc...). i notice a cancel button on the blue dialog screen that saygin when you are connecting etc. anyone know if this works? i tried all button combinations, but i usually have to reset the xbox to get it to work.
i've noticed this too, and it seems that [for me at least] cancel does not work properly in python scripts. after i saw the checkin notes about adding a 'blue screen of death' i thought this would be the end of the problem -- but it isn't. while the cancel dialog is displayed you can still access the volume controls and restart menu via the right trigger. maybe a button could be added to that
menu to kill all running python threads?
--jaga
just want to add that the cancel option almost never work. nor for scripts or other operations( as imdb lookup and directory scanning).
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
i never got the cancel button to work either  :verysad:  neither on imdb searches nor with python scripts...

are we reporting a bug here ?

ludo
yeah since this package has recieved more attention there would probably be many undiscovered bugs. we are trekkerzx buggin on the screen man. media center is great but could use an overhaul. not of the imagery kingd. :lol: :o :o
it seems to me that it only doesn't work when performing a network request. it also doesn't seem that a network timeout, if implemented, is working properly. imdb takes *way* too long to timeout, and most scripts never do. is this the case for everyone?
--jaga
(jaga @ feb. 17 2005,15:08 Wrote:it seems to me that it only doesn't work when performing a network request. it also doesn't seem that a network timeout, if implemented, is working properly. imdb takes *way* too long to timeout, and most scripts never do. is this the case for everyone?
yup!
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
never got cancel working on my xbox. is it part of the script or xbmc menu?
cancel is a button on a dialog that pops up whenever the xbox is making network requests [among other things]. for things such as scanning, cancel seems to work. for network related actions, cancel doesn't seem to work. i'm hoping to get a consensus on that here before posting a real bug report.
--jaga
i think its a known issue. the problem is that when doing network connections the thread is blocked for a long time and since their is only one thread for the gui and engine it is missing the keypresses. i can usually get it to work if i hold down the cancel button (i cant remember if it was back or b or a) and wait for the dialog to update itself a few times (it would then catch the cancel).

of course i am usually canceling only if the dialog is taking too long so that is why it never seems to work when i want it to.

the fix for this is to seperate the functions of the gui and engine so they are passing messages back and forth instead of just making direct calls. this would probably be a pretty big rewrite so dont count on it Smile
firstly i have to point out that while the cancel button does not work during network requests, xbmc still responds to the volume thumb pad. that may be an avenue to explore.

also, it is surely possible to add interrupt code so that the network timeout is a little shorter (or even user specified?), and that between retries, it could check if a key has been pressed.

even easier, between network retries, pop up a message asking the user if he wants to retry the connection (this could be an option the user could specify also).

this wont solve all scenarios though, as sometimes the network connects, but the cache takes too long to fill. perhaps a min kps monitor would fix this. ie. if the stream falls below a minimum kps, it informs the user and gives them the option to kill the thread.

only a few ideas, but im not entireley convinced that the whole separating the network and user threads and passing messages between them is the only solution. although it is probably the most desirable.
regardless of what goes on in this thread [unless a real dev joins in] what the solutions proposed aren't really of any consequence. is it agreed that cancel only doesn't work during network requests? is this true for both python initiated requests and native requests? if so, i'll post a bug report and hope they get to it. it would be an important fix for me, but i'm not sure if everyone else agrees.
--jaga
(jaga @ feb. 19 2005,04:22 Wrote:regardless of what goes on in this thread [unless a real dev joins in] what the solutions proposed aren't really of any consequence. is it agreed that cancel only doesn't work during network requests? is this true for both python initiated requests and native requests? if so, i'll post a bug report and hope they get to it. it would be an important fix for me, but i'm not sure if everyone else agrees.
+1 Smile
Lightbulb 
yeah, its pretty annoying to get stuck and have to completely reboot.
yes, i have the same problem...

no way to get out of this dialogs --> only reboot works... Confused

cu lolol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to cancel?0