How do I update
So on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine, I installed XBMC from the console forever ago... it was a nightly SVN repository.

When 10.0 came out, it stopped updating through the Update Manager.

I no longer need the SVN's, but I would like to update to the official 10.1, and all the official updates...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xbmc xbmc-live

That should do the trick.

Backup your xbmc folder first. Just for good measure.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks hudo,

One question before I do that, why is xbmc-live one of the arguments?
Because it is one of the needed packages if you have a XBMC Live based system. In other words, it is needed to autostart xbmc upon system startup.

Technically you achieve the same with only sudo apt-get install --reinstall xbmc-live because xbmc is a dependency of xbmc-live.

Unless you are start xbmc by some other method (script or something) it should be installed. You can check the package status by issuing sudo apt-cache policy xbmc-live.

Anyway, before installing anything, the system prompts for authorization. Have a look at what it says about installed/updated/remove/etc packages.

h.udo

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Ah, so far I've been starting XBMC by wheeling the horrible trackball wheel on my keyboard/remote combo, and clicking on the cheap button twice :p

I'll try the auto-start instead Smile

Thanks!
If you're using Ubuntu desktop, don't use xbmc-live to autostart XBMC.
If you're not using Ubuntu desktop, add xinit and x11-xserver-utils to the package install list. They are unlisted xbmc-live dependencies.

h.udo

Okay, thanks! Update went swimmingly... Finally no .0 bugs for me!

Also, when copying my xbmc folder, discovered that it had swoll to over 10GB because it was saving the package for every addon update... deleted it all, and now my little SSD has more room = better performance Smile
Good to know all worked well!
Yeah, addons folder can get quite big...

h.udo

Thanks for the little tutorial, hudo! I've got this thread bookmarked since I can never remember the commands...

FreeMan
You are welcome.
A bit confusing mixing Desktop and Live like systems but it works.

BTW, @clock2113 are you on Desktop or Live like system?

h.udo

Well, I've got the desktop, but 97 percent of the time I only use XBMC...

At some point there's going to be a good full-screen browser like Kylo for Linux, which will be able to start from the XBMC main menu, and then I'll ditch the desktop for a minimal-install...
There where some how-tos around to make XBMC launch a browser. Firefox and Chrome, I believe.

They aren't TV specific browsers but you could give that a try if you want to.

h.udo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I update0