Can external hard drive run 24/7 in HTPC?
I'm planning to build a mini-itx / micro-atx htpc with the main storage drive located outside the htpc. I will be downloading torrents into this and also store my main media so the drive will be on 24/7. I have two choices for this:

1. Use a brick-powered external drive such as the Western Digital My Book.

2. Use a USB-powered portable drive such as the Western Digital My Passport Drive.

Which one of the above is more reliable? Can the usb powered drive run 24/7 without heating up (there seem to be no in-built fans in such drives)? I'm sure lots of people are using external drives - any suggestions?
3. Purchase your own enclosure and put a low power drive in it.

That way you can customise what drive you have, and you don't need to worry about it overheating.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I use a couple of Thermaltake N0012USU "Max 4" USB/eSATA drive enclosures to expand the storage of my DirecTV DVRs, so those are running and actually writing 24/7 since the program buffers are constantly recording, even when the unit is turned "off". In one I use a WD Green 1 TB, in the other a Samsung EcoGreen 1 TB. Both have been running nonstop for 2 years or more without incident. The enclosures have built in fans to help cool the drives.

If I were you, I'd buy an external powered enclosure WITH A FAN such as this Thermaltake (there are also other brands with built in fans), and install a Green, an EcoGreen, or a Hitachi Coolspin.

You're going to increase the life and reliability of the drive if you help keep it cool.
Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned a fan being a good idea. If you're going to have the drive on for long periods, an enclosure with a fan is a must.

For mine, I found the included 50mm fan to be too whiny, so I replaced it with a Scythe Mini Kaze 50mm fan. While not silent, was a lot better.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I've been using an external usb 2.0 WD 500gb "Book" for two years. on all the time. lots of torrent downloading, and streaming all over my house. it worked fine. 'till it didn't.

just crashed last weekend. dead dead dead. only clicks on for a second before restarting. it served me well, but i'm very glad i was able to back the thing up before it crapped out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can external hard drive run 24/7 in HTPC?0