[WIP] Artist Slideshow Script (looking for testers!)
Lightbulb 
i've seen many requests on the forum lately from users who'd like to have a slideshow in the music visualization screen.

divingmule created the excellent Last.FM-SlideShow but it runs as a picture-plugin and can't be used in the visualization window.

so i did a complete re-write of his script in a way that it allows for easy skin integration and can be started automatically when entering the visualization screen.
i've combined it with the ImageCacher script from grajen3, that will cache all the images downloaded from last.fm to your harddrive.
(benefit: if you play a song by the same artist again, the images won't have to be re-downloaded, so no more waiting for the download to finish)

download and install the script, using the addon browser in xbmc.

and you may need a modified version of the musicvisualisation screen for your skin: make a backup of MusicVisualisation.xml first, before extracting the skin mod to the 720p folder!

if you come across any issues, please pastebin your log file.

as soon as i'm confident this script won't ruin your pc, i'll do a proper release
together with information for skinners how to integrate it in their skins.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:i've seen many requests on the forum lately from users who'd like to have a slideshow in the music visualization screen.

Fantastic Ronie!
I'm excited about that and will be very glad to test this over the next few days - though may need a bit of help with installation of the scripts when I get to that Wink
Cheers,
Mark.
If you set the image control to the http:// URL of the image, then XBMC will cache 'em anyway?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Ronie, i'm going to test it in cirrus extended, feedback follows ...
Thanx for your work and for sharing.
jmarshall Wrote:If you set the image control to the http:// URL of the image, then XBMC will cache 'em anyway?

the script will download images from last.fm and store them in a separate folder for each artist.

the path to the folder for the currently playing artist is set to a window property so it can be used in a multiimage control.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
fredphoesh Wrote:Fantastic Ronie!
I'm excited about that and will be very glad to test this over the next few days - though may need a bit of help with installation of the scripts when I get to that Wink
Cheers,
Mark.

xbmc has an 'install from zip' option in the add-on browser.
Hi Ronie,
I have downloaded all, and used the Add-ons "install from zip file" to install both
script.artistslideshow.zip and
slideshow-transparency.zip and tried the snv and confluence ones for good measure too, but do not see it listed as a visualisation when in the full screen mode and clicking on the icon to select a visualisation.

Is there something else I need to do ?
Thanks,
Mark.
fredphoesh Wrote:Hi Ronie,
I have downloaded all, and used the Add-ons "install from zip file" to install both
script.artistslideshow.zip and
slideshow-transparency.zip and tried the snv and confluence ones for good measure too, but do not see it listed as a visualisation when in the full screen mode and clicking on the icon to select a visualisation.

Is there something else I need to do ?
Thanks,
Mark.
you only need to install script.artistslideshow.zip using the addon manager.

next, go to the 720p folder of the skin you're using and create a backup of MusicVisualisation.xml

last, extract the zipfile for the skin you're using to the 720p folder.

you only need to install script.artistslideshow.zip using the addon manager.

next, go to the 720p folder of the skin you're using and create a backup of MusicVisualisation.xml

edit:
there's no need to select anything in the visualization screen.
the slideshow will be shown by default.
ronie Wrote:you only need to install script.artistslideshow.zip using the addon manager.

Hi ronie,

My Transparency! skin does not seem to have a 720p folder. It only has colors and media folders. The confluence one does though. Should I make one in the C:\Program Files\XBMC\skin\Transparency! folder?
fredphoesh Wrote:Hi ronie,

My Transparency! skin does not seem to have a 720p folder. It only has colors and media folders. The confluence one does though. Should I make one in the C:\Program Files\XBMC\skin\Transparency! folder?

hmm...that's not a proper install of T! then.
delete and redownload the skin i'd say.

or just test in Confluence.
ronie Wrote:hmm...that's not a proper install of T! then.
delete and redownload the skin i'd say.

AHA, I found the 720p folder and it is not in programme files but in
C:\Users\mark\AppData\XBMC\addons\skin.Transparency!

I copied MusicVisualisation.xml to the 720p folder in that path above, and re-installed the zip file script.artistslideshow.zip but still the default 3 visualisations only are visible.

Now past midnight, the wife beckons... sorry for being such a thickhead, but I would very much like to test this for you... so id appreciate any further tips you might have.

till tomorrow, tx
Mark.
fredphoesh Wrote:but still the default 3 visualisations only are visible

correct.
this is *not* a visualization.

it's an image slideshow that will be shown on top of the selected (if any) visualization.
ronie Wrote:correct.
this is *not* a visualization.

it's an image slideshow that will be shown on top of the selected (if any) visualization.

YESSSSS
I have it working now... will play with it tomorrow... looks very good so far!
Cheers!
Mark.
ronie Wrote:divingmule created the excellent Last.FM-SlideShow but it runs as a picture-plugin and can't be used in the visualization window.
so i did a complete re-write of his script in a way that it allows for easy skin integration and can be started automatically when entering the visualization screen.
i've combined it with the ImageCacher script from grajen3, that will cache all the images downloaded from last.fm to your harddrive.

Ronie, this works BRILLIANTLY!
Given that LastFM is much more comprehensive than Fan Art, this is fantastic news for visually inclined music listeners!

I noticed the script works in full screen view only, ie not on the home page, or in the music library browsing (album artist playlist etc) view. I am not sure this is intentional but is not a bad thing for me since I generally use full screen view when wanting fan art in the background anyway.

EDIT: I had found my regular Fan Art was not playing when browsing music, but went to settings, un and re selected visualisaions NONE in Music. Then in Appearance deselected then reselected animated background and fan art and then it worked again... not sure if this did anything but thought i should report it anyway.

Thanks for your excellent contribution!
Mark
fredphoesh Wrote:I noticed the script works in full screen view only, ie not on the home page, or in the music library browsing (album artist playlist etc) view. I am not sure this is intentional but is not a bad thing for me since I generally use full screen view when wanting fan art in the background anyway.

currently the slideshow is only shown in the visualization window, but could be used on the home screen or anywhere else in the skin as well.

thanx for the feedback mate!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Artist Slideshow Script (looking for testers!)0