[WIP] Artist Slideshow Script (looking for testers!)
I had a small problem with this very usefull script. The error message was:
"...script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 47, in download
OSError: [Errno 18] Invalid cross-device link
os.rename(tmpname,dst)

After googling it it looks like that the os.rename method doesnt work if the 2 files are on different devices or different mount points.
I solved it by replacing this by shutil.move(tmpname, dst) (you then have to import shutil of course)
Hope that would help someone Wink
i'd definitely like to fix that issue.

the script copies the images from .xbmc/temp to .xbmc/userdata/...
so, does this mean you have those two folders on separate drives?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Hate to be a bother. Trying to get this to run and it's a no go for me. I'm running the latest svns and installed the script from the repo. Is there something else I need to turn on/off?
bobrap Wrote:Is there something else I need to turn on/off?

yup, you have to enable it, using the 'vis options' button on the musicosd :-)

Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Bingo! Thank you, sir. If you celebrate, have a great 4th!
ronie Wrote:i'd definitely like to fix that issue.

the script copies the images from .xbmc/temp to .xbmc/userdata/...
so, does this mean you have those two folders on separate drives?

Indeed, my thumbnails folder is on another drive because I share it with several computers. I use a symlink to achieve this. I realize that my case is probably not so common :p
neoflex Wrote:Indeed, my thumbnails folder is on another drive because I share it with several computers. I use a symlink to achieve this. I realize that my case is probably not so common :p

maybe not, but if it can be fixed that easily, i don't see a reason not to.

will use shutil (dharma) end xbmcvfs (eden) in the next releases.
kiboy6 Wrote:That sounds great - although if the option (at script level) to copy and duplicate extrafanart images and merge 1. and 2. above were there, that would be perfection for me. Smile

Cheers!

Hi Ronie,

Just coming back to this question from a little while ago. My extrafanart collection for music is reasonably extensive, so if there were any way to merge these nice HD images with the last.fm slideshow I would jump at it.

Personally, I would have no problem with the extra disk space taken up if this involved duplicating all the extrafanart images. In any case they could be deleted from their original location if they were always used by the last.fm slideshow. It could be a one-off move, as the beauty of the last.fm slideshow solution makes the old extrafanart method somewhat obsolete. It's just a shame to waste all those nice HD images....

Thanks Ronie Smile This script is one of the best new features for me since I started using XBMC.
Hi Ronie...

Regarding the above, even if it has no place in the addon itself, do you have any idea what direction I should go in to get a one-off script going to copy those images over as I want?

Further to that:

1.) Bug report

fredphoesh Wrote:Hello Ronie,

I have a folder of single tracks, a compilation of world music, and the artist slideshow script works beautifully, but then it stops on one artist, and no matter what I do, it will not show play another artist's images.

I have repeated this 5 times on one computer and twice on this computer, so it is reliably visible. To try to get the script to show other tracks, I switched from playlist to file mode, then back to library and chose all sorts of artists, but the script kept on cycling the one it got stuck on.

I'm still experiencing this problem intermittently with the official v.1 repo release of the script.

Sometimes it works perfectly as intended, but sometimes the same picture(s) of the first played artist will endure throughout a long, multi-artist playlist.

In this debug log the original single last.fm image for Beres Hammond remains displayed throughout the second song (by different artist Etana). During the third song (by a third artist, Voicemail) I pressed tab to exit the visualisation, and then again to re-enter the visualisation.
Here, what happens is interesting. First some more Beres Hammond images start cycling, and then after a minute or so the correct "Voicemail" images start displaying. Any ideas why this is happening? From then on, everything works perfectly.

edit 2 I've noticed something else that may help troubleshoot this. Often when a song starts playing I will press tab to see the visualization. At first I will see the generic music pic, then as soon as an image is downloaded from last.fm I will see that image. However that is then the only image I see until I tab out and back into the visualization. Once back on the visualiztion there are suddenly several images in the slideshow. If another artist starts playing and I don't cycle the visualization on/off as above, the playlist will stay stuck on the first pic. So this seems to be an issue regarding when the slideshow refreshes, not a downloading issue. In any case, I can replicate the bug even when changing to an artist for which there are already cached ArtistSlideshow images

edit - after noticing that with "useddsfanart" advanced setting enabled, all of the slideshow cache images were being converted to .dds, I tried disabling that setting. At first things did seem to be running more smoothly, until after a while I got stuck with Al Green on the slideshow through several artist changes until I closed XBMC. Here's that log

2. Request:
Even when everything is working perfectly, there is one other small flaw in my opinion. When a new artist's songs starts playing, the previous artist's images remain displayed until the first new image is downloaded. This usually happens within 20 seconds or so, but if the network is congested on a crappy connection like mine it can sometimes take much longer. Would there be any chance of reverting to the placeholder generic pic during this interim period?

Cheers Ronie - sorry to bug you, I just can't wait to get this working perfectly on my system Smile
kiboy6 Wrote:Regarding the above, even if it has no place in the addon itself, do you have any idea what direction I should go in to get a one-off script going to copy those images over as I want?

afraid not, it depends on if you're using dharma or eden and if your media is stored locally or on a smb share.

eden + smb + python may even be impossible due to the lack of smb support in python.

kiboy6 Wrote:In this debug log the original single last.fm image for Beres Hammond remains displayed throughout the second song (by different artist Etana).

when the script is downloading images, it checks if a new song has started after every downloaded image. what happed is it took over 7 minutes to download some Beres Hammond image. during this time you started (and finished) Etana. so when the Beres Hammond image was finally downloaded, the third song (Voicemail) was already playing and the script starts to download images for that artist.

in case you haven't seen it, this may be an interesting read:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=814...stcount=20

kiboy6 Wrote:edit - after noticing that with "useddsfanart" advanced setting enabled, all of the slideshow cache images were being converted to .dds, I tried disabling that setting. At first things did seem to be running more smoothly, until after a while I got stuck with Al Green on the slideshow through several artist changes until I closed XBMC. Here's that log

i wouldn't worry about xbmc converting your images to dds.
shouldn't have any effect on the script.

kiboy6 Wrote:2. Request:
i'll check if i can add an option for that. ;-)
Thanks so much for the detailed reply - everything is much clearer now and at least I understand my issues perfectly without wondering at what strange gremlins were in my system!

ronie Wrote:afraid not, it depends on if you're using dharma or eden and if your media is stored locally or on a smb share.

eden + smb + python may even be impossible due to the lack of smb support in python.

No worries - It will be laborious but possible to do it manually.

Quote:when the script is downloading images, it checks if a new song has started after every downloaded image. what happed is it took over 7 minutes to download some Beres Hammond image. during this time you started (and finished) Etana. so when the Beres Hammond image was finally downloaded, the third song (Voicemail) was already playing and the script starts to download images for that artist.
in case you haven't seen it, this may be an interesting read:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=814...stcount=20
Ahhh, it all makes sense now. So my funky performance is directly down to the internet connection being crap +/ congested. Would it be impossible to make xbmc force refresh the slideshow every, say, 30 seconds to stop this ever happening to anyone with internet woes? Some artists have 100s of pictures, so an auto refresh (if possible) would ensure that there is always a slideshow going.

Quote:i wouldn't worry about xbmc converting your images to dds.
shouldn't have any effect on the script.

Cool - although that conversion seems like a waste of CPU time and disk space as the slideshow is perfectly fast with the .jpgs from last.fm. I wonder if the ArtistSlideshow folder could be somehow exluded from the "useddsfanart" setting. I'll check into that elsewhere...

Quote:i'll check if i can add an option for that. ;-)

That would be awesome. If it's possible to even have a few different generic images, so that there is a slideshow of generic images anytime you're waiting for last.fm +/ during playback of an artist with no last.fm images, that would be even more amazing. Here's a link to some generic pics I've been using locally: http://imageshack.us/g/803/colorofmusic.jpg/ - don't know if you might be able to / want to incorporate them Smile

Thanks so much again for this beautiful addon Smile
kiboy6 Wrote:Would it be impossible to make xbmc force refresh the slideshow every, say, 30 seconds to stop this ever happening to anyone with internet woes? Some artists have 100s of pictures, so an auto refresh (if possible) would ensure that there is always a slideshow going.

i don't know if that's possible, i'm just a novice python coder :-)

if python scripts can use multiple threads it might be possible, i guess.
ronie Wrote:i don't know if that's possible, i'm just a novice python coder :-)

if python scripts can use multiple threads it might be possible, i guess.

Well, given how great this addon already is, it's scary to think you're just a python novice Wink

If there were any way this change, along with the other generic placeholder pic(s) request, could be implemented, then this addon would be truly bulletproof for poor internet connections

(Not to mention that it would then run much more smoothly offline too....)

Don't know if it will prove too complicated, but IMO it would be extremely worthwhile if possible Smile Thanks!
after the last track of an album is played this screen is shown:
I think it should go back to the album view.
I didn´t test it futher, could be a xbmc issue. If needed i´m happy to provide a debug log.
solidsatras Wrote:after the last track of an album is played this screen is shown:
I think it should go back to the album view.
I didn´t test it futher, could be a xbmc issue. If needed i´m happy to provide a debug log.

it's an xbmc thing.
not sure if it is an intended change or a side-effect of some new code though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Artist Slideshow Script (looking for testers!)0